Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero turn lawn mowers
02-18-2014, 13:20
RE: Zero turn lawn mowers
(02-18-2014 10:26)folivier Wrote:  No opinions on different brands but here's my thoughts. A zero turn is much faster than a tractor but a tractor with a bush hog can cut almost anything. And easy to change over to a grooming mower. So a tractor is much more versatile. You can get an implement to do almost anything, a zero turn can only cut grass.

I agree, and if you get a tractor with the removable front loader you'll have everything covered!

Robert Britton
2004 M380
Hollister, Ca
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 15:09
I've already got 5 tractors, 2 with loaders, 3 bushhogs in 2 sizes, 3 sizes of 3pt rototillers, a fairly large grooming mower, 3 riding mowers, a decent sized bulldozer and all the various smaller and or older stuff.

My issue is that I've got almost 900a broken into probably 15 pieces, not to mention the cross fencing in the pastures. Truly mowing (re: under the fence) all that with either a bushhog or the grooming mower is absolutely horrendous. Thus my thinking on a ZT, where I can stick the rear tire against the fence and twist around each fence post. Is it easy? Hardly, but certainly easier than any other method; other than Roudup, maybe. I do have a 550g poly tank that I'm making a spray rig for. Maybe that's the way to handle it?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-18-2014, 18:08
Hey John,
I have a Grasshopper 721D Frontmount mower. We have had it maybe ten years. It is built like a tank and needs to be the way I drive it. Everything I have read seems right about this model. It's best point is its seat, very confortable, you can ride all day. Worst point is it doesn't like to go up grades in forward. However, it will climb a tree is reverse.

My advise, load that sprayer with round up and take up fishing with all the free time you are going to have!Wink
Wrong year to stay in Tennessee and work on the coach.Sad

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
02-19-2014, 15:33
Gregg,

That's great info to know. I've looked at their diesels, but wasn't sure they'd offer much advantage mowing an inside 90. I also wondered how their power fold feature worked when you're sitting on the mower. It seemed to fold your feet up at odd angles.

Unfortunately, the ground that I'll be mowing is rather hilly, so backing up all the hills probably isn't the way to go!

The weather has played havoc for lots of us. Hopefully spring is just around the corner so we can get out and do stuff! Timing might be great for me, as the last month has been truly brutal. I found I had an aortic aneurysm and then a poorly functioning aortic valve, so I've spent most of the last month in the hospital recouping from the open heart surgery to fix it all. Evidently, my body didn't like strange people doing things inside, as it ran the gamut of complications. So I didn't have to worry about fixing anything while it was 5 degrees outside here! Wink Though I think I can safely say, 5 degrees and the ability to be out in it, SURE beats my chosen alternative!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-19-2014, 19:46
You know with a hilly terrain, you can always go with nature, and use goats. You can even transport them home on the roof of the bus(that's why we have goat rails)RolleyesBig Grin

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
02-19-2014, 23:34
If I knew I could keep the neighbor's cows from busting down my fences (they may be getting assistance), the goats might be a great idea. Any idea how I keep them near the fences and out of the pastures?? Wink

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-20-2014, 14:44
(02-19-2014 19:46)patticake Wrote:  You know with a hilly terrain, you can always go with nature, and use goats. You can even transport them home on the roof of the bus(that's why we have goat rails)RolleyesBig Grin

That's funny Steve![/color]

Robert Britton
2004 M380
Hollister, Ca
02-20-2014, 14:47
Hey John,
Your health news left me speechless. I remember watching you take Al’s wheels off his coach and then take the break drum off, all by yourself. In the eyes of an old fat guy, you looked like you were in really good shape. I’m glad you dodged that bullet that had your name on it. I’m still waiting to find out which one has my name on it, and I really hope to be around to talk about it! It may sound silly, but today really is the first day of rest of your life, and you have been given a gift to be enjoying it. All Our Best Wishes! Gregg & Jane

PS Forget the Front Mount Grasshopper if you have hills, and it does fold up on you.

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
02-20-2014, 18:57 (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 19:01 by Arcticdude.)
Thanks, Gregg. Thats the whole reason i laid it all out there. I had absolutely no issues, indications, precognitions or anything to let me know i had this going on. A stupid "used car ad" and the thought of new technology sucked me in with a $27 leader. Apparently, it's a good thing it did!

Good info on the grasshopper.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-20-2014, 19:18
(02-20-2014 14:47)Gregg Wrote:  I remember watching you take Al’s wheels off his coach and then take the break drum off, all by yourself.

That's the image I can't get out of my head either! On that day John was really hustling. I tried to get in there to do some of the heavy lifting but he wouldn't have any of it! Wow! First days of your new life... how true! We seem to get the first fifty for free, the next we have to work for... exercise, low-fat diets, fruits, vegetables, and stress reduction. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)