Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad leveler valve?
12-12-2013, 00:38
Bad leveler valve?
Well, the cold weather at the LSB Christmas Rally got me also. Had a hard time building air pressure above 60 psi with the onboard compressor. Engine got it up to max with no problem. Aired up suspension and made it back to the parking garage without problems. Unhooked the Hummer and nosed into the bay. Shut the engine down to unload dirty clothes, cats, etc. in about 5-10 minutes, suspension totally down. Fired up the DD, waited for the pressure to build, hit the suspension dump switches to air back up and only the passenger side came up. Thank goodness it was already aimed into the bay! Put the jacks down on driver's side and tried it again. No joy. Limped into the bay listing. And No, I could not hear any air leaks from outside the bus.

What say you experts? Leveling valve(s)? One on center front, two on drive and one on tag?? Supposed to be somewhat warm tomorrow and intend to take afternoon off and crawl under. What to check for?

Thanks!

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 01:40
RE: Bad leveler valve?
Left side leveling valve stuck, more than likely. When was the last time they were replaced?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
12-12-2013, 10:43
Hi mike,
If the left valve john suggested does not bear fruit, I'd look at all the valve rods and ball joint mounts and hit them with a stream of WD40. Maybe the cold,ice,road grime,etc. froze one of them. There is also a "bleeder valve" high on the road side upper C channel frame that could be dirty,etc. It is right behind the tag axle. Sometimes all it takes is for the outside temp to come above 50 degrees and air system issues magically fix themselves. Wink
Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
12-12-2013, 22:49
Any luck with the system?

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
12-13-2013, 00:32
(12-12-2013 22:49)patticake Wrote:  Any luck with the system?

Steve, I didn't have enough time to mess with it much today after all, but did stop by the storage bay briefly after I got some new 2x12s to make some additional ramps to drive up on. Turned on aux compressor and went to 90psi like normal. Fired up Detroit and went to 130 in no time. Seems like Pete was close to right when he offered: "Sometimes all it takes is for the outside temp to come above 50 degrees and air system issues magically fix themselves." Well, almost anyway. When I hit the suspension switches, front came up normal (which is better than Sunday) but driver's side in back is still listing so I know where to start, as someone suggested. May try to get to it tomorrow, or over the weekend. Thanks for the pics and part numbers! Oh, and I still do not hear any air leaks!! LOL

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi 43' DS Millennium Edition
San Antonio, TX
12-13-2013, 00:45
(12-12-2013 10:43)pgchin Wrote:  Hi mike,
If the left valve john suggested does not bear fruit, I'd look at all the valve rods and ball joint mounts and hit them with a stream of WD40. Maybe the cold,ice,road grime,etc. froze one of them. There is also a "bleeder valve" high on the road side upper C channel frame that could be dirty,etc. It is right behind the tag axle. Sometimes all it takes is for the outside temp to come above 50 degrees and air system issues magically fix themselves. Wink
Tongue

Pete,
Thanks for the suggestions. What is the purpose of that "bleeder valve" that you mentioned? I am not sure that I had heard of that one before, or understand why it would be up high on the frame channel.

Thanks!

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
12-13-2013, 11:06
(12-13-2013 00:45)mikebulriss Wrote:  Pete,
Thanks for the suggestions. What is the purpose of that "bleeder valve" that you mentioned? I am not sure that I had heard of that one before, or understand why it would be up high on the frame channel.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
The valve I mentioned vents the tag axle bags. I wasn't sure it they were hanging up on you in the cold and ice.Smile Given your update, if that left rear leveler valve turns out to be good, then try its rod and joint. You can see it directly behind the drive axle. If it's original, then that ball joint may be worn or rusty and the ice and cold could have been a factor? FWIW I hit all three every six months with wd40..........

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
12-13-2013, 17:40
. If it's original, then that ball joint may be worn or rusty and the ice and cold could have been a factor? FWIW I hit all three every six months with wd40..........

Good advice. Plus, you need to use the coach more often than once a year.Rolleyes

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
12-15-2013, 19:56
(12-13-2013 17:40)patticake Wrote:  ... you need to use the coach more often than once a year.Rolleyes

I will have you know sir that I took it out at least twice this year!
I'm saving it for when I get retired like you! Angel

BTW, I crawled under it yesterday (with my 2x12 ramps, on-board jacks and 20 ton hydraulic jacks) and verified ball joints are free and the driver side drive axle leveler is most definitely leaking! Easy to get to and looks like a 15-20 minute replacement job, but not a job I plan on doing laying on my back under that monster. Got to find a pit.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
12-16-2013, 11:34
Can you find a mobile mechanic?

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)