Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
06-26-2013, 18:48 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 20:31 by gondolaguy.)
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
Dometic should be embarrassed. Some owners of the LRIM fridge have replaced cooling unit three times!!! I'm going to put in an all electric unit, any thoughts? Currently the Samsung and LG brands look most promising.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gondolaguy's post
06-26-2013, 21:44
RE: Time to replace crappy Dometic junk absorbtion fridge
Hey Corey,

If you're really convinced to get rid of it then I'd look for one of the low power DC refrigerators that can run on modified sine wave inverters. Someone once mentioned the Samsung RF197ACWP. I believe the RF197 will fit in the space allocated to our Dometics, but you may want to take detailed measurements, or build a mockup. The dimensions are 32"x24"x69". Some modification may be necessary for the height. It has a bottom drawer freezer with an ice maker, french doors, and LED lighting. The cost is around $1000 delivered. Here's a link. I know of at least two conversions using this refrigerator, one in WideBody and one in an LXi - installation is trivial. I haven't heard much about it's real world power consumption or noise, or it's compatibility with boondocking requirements.

One of the things that I've always liked about the absorption cycle refrigerator is it's utter silence. That and the ability to run on propane which significantly reduces battery draw in boondocking scenarios. Someone here mentioned having upgraded their Dometic to an absorption cooling unit from the Amish Refrigerator Company. We never did get too many details about the conversion, but there's plenty on the web about doing it. I'm going to give this approach a good once over before I make up my mind.

Our absorption units in our coaches are ten years or older now and that's probably about all we can expect from them. Mine has performed flawlessly in that time and I love the technology. Replacing a cooling unit every ten years isn't unreasonable.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
06-27-2013, 12:33
(06-26-2013 21:44)davidmbrady Wrote:  Hey Corey,

If you're really convinced to get rid of it then I'd look for one of the low power DC refrigerators that can run on modified sine wave inverters. Someone once mentioned the Samsung RF197ACWP. I believe the RF197 will fit in the space allocated to our Dometics, but you may want to take detailed measurements, or build a mockup. The dimensions are 32"x24"x69". Some modification may be necessary for the height. It has a bottom drawer freezer with an ice maker, french doors, and LED lighting. The cost is around $1000 delivered. Here's a link. I know of at least two conversions using this refrigerator, one in WideBody and one in an LXi - installation is trivial. I haven't heard much about it's real world power consumption or noise, or it's compatibility with boondocking requirements.

One of the things that I've always liked about the absorption cycle refrigerator is it's utter silence. That and the ability to run on propane which significantly reduces battery draw in boondocking scenarios. Someone here mentioned having upgraded their Dometic to an absorption cooling unit from the Amish Refrigerator Company. We never did get too many details about the conversion, but there's plenty on the web about doing it. I'm going to give this approach a good once over before I make up my mind.

Our absorption units in our coaches are ten years or older now and that's probably about all we can expect from them. Mine has performed flawlessly in that time and I love the technology. Replacing a cooling unit every ten years isn't unreasonable.

Like you, I liked the ability to use propane and tried to justify keeping the Dometic LRIP. After reading multiple on-line horror stories of charred ceilings and defective cooling units (far more than once a decade), I've pretty much made up my mind to trash it on this go-round. Naturally, I may be only hearing one side of a story as people don't often get motivated to praising equipment that just plain works, it's the stuff that goes bad that motivates the writer in me!! When I look at the cost of a cooling unit replacement being about equal to a new modern fridge like the Samsung, it's hard to go backwards. Plus, hey, I love upgrades (even if they are downgrades)!
06-27-2013, 14:59
Corey,

Mine (absorption Dometic) is 17 years old and still original. Other than cleaning the flue once a year, I haven't done anything to it. I certainly have the same concerns about burning the coach up, but we've all also got high amperage 12v cables running all over the place which can burn her up too. So far I haven't heard of anybody getting rid of those!! Lol. Certainly there are thousands of rv's out there well over 10 years still with working units. As you pointed out, we only hear about the ones that burn.

It's frustrating that RV reefer technology is still in the 40's. Why can't we get a well insulated box with an efficient and safe heater mechanism? It shouldn't be all that tough.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
06-27-2013, 22:54 (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 23:02 by gondolaguy.)
(06-27-2013 14:59)Arcticdude Wrote:  Corey,

Mine (absorption Dometic) is 17 years old and still original. Other than cleaning the flue once a year, I haven't done anything to it. I certainly have the same concerns about burning the coach up, but we've all also got high amperage 12v cables running all over the place which can burn her up too. So far I haven't heard of anybody getting rid of those!! Lol. Certainly there are thousands of rv's out there well over 10 years still with working units. As you pointed out, we only hear about the ones that burn.

It's frustrating that RV reefer technology is still in the 40's. Why can't we get a well insulated box with an efficient and safe heater mechanism? It shouldn't be all that tough.

Here is where my Dometic now resides on its way to oblivion! İmage
Here is why.... İmage charred on side of cabinet and top of cabinet on way out of roof vent İmage . Top that off with two electric fans to fuel any fire and a heat sensor at the bottom of the cabinet that would only catch the fire after the roof had melted down!!! This in a coach with 46,000 miles and limited propane use. Yikes!!!
06-28-2013, 08:42
I have added residential refrigerators to my coaches and 6 others. Lots more room inside. If you don't boondock- we don't- only way to go

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
[+] 2 users Like ernie ekberg's post
06-28-2013, 09:38
(06-28-2013 08:42)ernie ekberg Wrote:  I have added residential refrigerators to my coaches and 6 others. Lots more room inside. If you don't boondock- we don't- only way to go

The questions that I'll need to answer:
What size will work best? (Samsung looking good)
How to secure it?
Will inverters in coach work for my application?
Will doors stay secure under travel (it amazes e how little the WL disrupts things just sitting around, so maybe no worries)
06-28-2013, 11:31
Hey Corey,

The RF197 is a common conversion for RV's. This gentleman (nodine) has probably the best installation description on the web. Be sure to follow all the links to his Google Photo Albums.

I've seen installations where the fridge is placed directly on the floor or raised on a false floor. It all depends on whether you have mechanicals under the fridge that need to be retained and on the available clearance above including the need to clear the false ceiling ducted AC vents.

You can plug it in to the same receptacle that the Dometic used. The outside vent can be retained for access, place some insulation behind it. The chimney vent at the top can be insulated and plywood-ed over. Follow Samsung's installation instructions regarding ventilation clearance on all sides.

I'd secure it at the front and the back. Our inverters will power it just fine. I think the doors will stay closed while traveling. If not, I'm certain you can dream up some sort of locking mechanism!

I'm looking forward to pics and a description of your installation! Smile I'm counting on it cause I'll probably do a similar conversion some time soon.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
06-28-2013, 14:20 (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 14:24 by Arcticdude.)
The doors may need some extra help closing. I know the Dometic will NOT stay closed without the latch. ANY right turn swings it open.

Corey,

What was the thing that scorched the wood? I mean I know the reefer, but that's high enough up, there shouldn't have been that much heat. My flame is small enough that it would take a long time of propane burning to get things that hot that high up.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
06-28-2013, 14:37
(06-28-2013 14:20)Arcticdude Wrote:  The doors may need some extra help closing. I know the Dometic will NOT stay closed without the latch. ANY right turn swings it open.

Corey,

What was the thing that scorched the wood? I mean I know the reefer, but that's high enough up, there shouldn't have been that much heat. My flame is small enough that it would take a long time of propane burning to get things that hot that high up.
The wood was scorched by the propane exhaust, I'm pretty sure. Considering that BlueBird built an airtight case around the Dometic and that there are unregulated openings on top and bottom, I'll bet certain conditions create a pretty updraft that could easily promote overheating despite the basic "throttle" on the propane air inlet. In any case, this is scary stuff considering the limited amount of use my coach has had. That amount of scorching easily could have ignited the plywood and then it would have been off to the races with unlimited air fueling it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)