Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michelin Load & Inflation Tables
05-12-2013, 18:06
RE: Michelin Load & Inflation Tables
One cautionary point of note here since I just bought new front tires - the Load and Inflation Chart being referred to here is valid for the default 9.0" wide wheel. While I know most of the later model mid-90s onward have the 9" wheel, the earlier ones have 8.25" wheels. The Michelin 'alternate' acceptable 8.25" wide wheel has much lower load factors. The max load on that tire/wheel combo is 8,000 lbs at 130, going from memory. One of the Michelin Tire Application Charts has a footnote that basically says something like: Contact Michelin before installing 315/80R22.5 LRL XZA2 Energy on 8.25" rim. Of course the 8.25" rims are rated for anywhere from 7200-7300 depending on when manufactured! Since I was curious about that footnote, I called them. They just wanted to make sure users were aware there was a different Load and Inflation Chart for the 8.25" wheel and that the load ratings were much lower.

As I alluded to, it's all kind of a moot point for earlier Birds, since the axle and wheels are rated for 14,600/14,500 prior to mid-90s depending on which wheels you have. I went with the 315s anyway due to much better general availability versus 12Rs, they are about $60 each cheaper than the 12Rs, and the higher load rating (for safety), even if I don't get the full benefit of it.

FWIW,

Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan"
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michelin Load & Inflation Tables - mbulriss - 05-12-2013 18:06

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)