Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2005 Newell at Motorhomes of Texas
03-08-2013, 13:34
RE: 2005 Newell at Motorhomes of Texas
there was an earlier question about optimum years for the detroit series 60. i am no expert live mr brady, but will say a few things to spark a discussion.

btw, newell started using cat engines as early as 2003 that i am aware of (one of our gurus has a 2003 with a 500hp cat).

for me there were several big advances in the series 60. i could have the dates not quite right but i think i am close.

most of our coaches have a ddec 3 or 4 and a 12.7litre engine. in 2002 they moved to an engine with more smog controls (EGR). fortunately, mine does not have that.

then they moved to a 14Litre engine in 2001/2 my 2002 newell was made in 2001 and has the 12.7L.

the ddec 4 engine added a wastegate turbocharger and increased the HP to 500 (which is what mine is)

so, what is optimum is a personal preference. with or without egr, 12.7L or 14L. DDEC 3 or 4. at some point detroit stopped making engines for coaches. CAT was the preference and had all the emissions controls that were required.

tranny is another thing. most have the allison 6 speed. somewhere in there newell started using the 12 speed ZF transmission and then i think went back to a 6 speed. i dont think most motorcoach owners liked the tranny shifting so much.

the other thing is the belt config and alternator. it depended on which place newell ordered the engine from as to what belts and pullys. and the owner would decide on the alternator. mine was a race rig so it has the humongo trailer hitch and oil cooled alternator. i also have a serpentine belt for the alternator. but the air conditioning compressor has two side by side V belts. others i have seen have no serpentine etc....

oh well, if i drag on too much just tell me. these things above are the same for the similar vintage wanderlodges i would guess.

david knows alot more about these things than i do.

the history is below (from michael day)

1994 models began offering Series 60 mid-year

2004-2005 began offering Caterpillar C12/C13

2006 Caterpillar C15 standard engine, Detroit Series 60 available at customers request

2010 models Cummins ISX650 with Caterpillar C15 discontinued

2002 Two Slide Newell Coach 608 DD Series 60, Allison 6 speed
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2005 Newell at Motorhomes of Texas - encantotom - 03-08-2013 13:34

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)