Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
microphor adjustments
05-11-2015, 10:00
RE: microphor adjustments
Microphor Flapper Gasket Replacement UPDATE

Successfully replacing my 22 year old flapper gasket and experiencing my Microphor Air Flush toilet working like new, it again fell prey to the toilet gremlin.

Since my 94 WB owners manual says turn off fresh water pumps while traveling, I did just that. Well, riding happily down the road, my "first class passenger" (Martha of course) decided to use the toilet.

Unbeknownst to me, she flushed it with the water turned off. An hour or so later pulling into a rest area, I hear the little Thomas 12 v pump running like crazy and air hissing from the head.

A little later, the little Thomas pump gave up the ghost, died, expired apparently burned out. No problem, I carry a brand new spare. Replaced the pump, turned the water on, flushed the toilet and the newly "gasketized" flapper would not close.

Since I was headed down to CoachCraft, it would be a good time to get them to "fix what I had repaired". Well, they couldn't do it without removing the toilet.

Sans no toilet, its on the bench now and I can't wait to find out what happened.

I'll know in a few days and I'll let everybody know.

Right now it seems,

RULE #1: DO NOT BRAG ON A WANDERLODGE COMPONENT WORKING VERY WELL - THE GREMLIN WILL GET YOU.

RULE #2: DON'T FLUSH THE MICROPHOR TOILET WITH THE WATER CUT OFF THEN LET IN RUN FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. THE GREMLIN WILL GET YOU FOR THAT AS WELL.

RULE #3: THOROUGHLY BRIEF ONE'S FIRST CLASS PASSENGER ON HOW
TO TURN ON/OFF THE WATER PUMPS BEFORE THE TOILET IS FLUSHED. OR, CONSPICUOUSLY PLACE A PLACARD WARNING THE TOILET USER ABOUT FLUSHING THE TOILET WITH NO WATER.

Cheers y'all!

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 14:56 (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 15:26 by cmillsap.)
Tommy,

Seems like everybody spends too much time and money trying to keep that damn Microphor toilet working. And then theres the Thomas air compressor that's not cheap and not very reliable.

Do yourself a favor, buy a Thetford Tecma model # 38456 and remove the chore of keeping the Microphor working.

The Tecma toilet retails for over a $1000.
Here's a new one you can buy that is reasonably priced @ $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecma-thetford-t...e4&vxp=mtr

It costs less than the cost of a new Thomas compressor and the Microphor repair parts.

This is a pic of my Tecma in my LXI from a previous post on WaGu:

http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/attachment.php?aid=1631

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
05-11-2015, 20:28
(05-11-2015 14:56)cmillsap Wrote:  Tommy,

Seems like everybody spends too much time and money trying to keep that damn Microphor toilet working. And then theres the Thomas air compressor that's not cheap and not very reliable.

Do yourself a favor, buy a Thetford Tecma model # 38456 and remove the chore of keeping the Microphor working.

It costs less than the cost of a new Thomas compressor and the Microphor repair parts.

Chuck

Does this toilet require a straight drop through? If so, then I have an additional problem replacing the Microphor. My toilet requires a hard 90 degree turn to get through to the down-pipe to the black tank. Major plumbing and alterations to make a drop through toilet work.

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
05-11-2015, 20:42 (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 20:59 by cmillsap.)
(05-11-2015 20:28)RetDA Wrote:  

Chuck

Does this toilet require a straight drop through? If so, then I have an additional problem replacing the Microphor. My toilet requires a hard 90 degree turn to get through to the down-pipe to the black tank. Major plumbing and alterations to make a drop through toilet work.

Tommy,

I'm not sure how your plumbing compares with the plumbing in my LXi. My toilet does not sit directly above the black tank either and it does have a horizontal plumbing run to the black tank. I've never had a problem with it as it flushes quite nicely. I would think that the electric pump would do the same job of moving the water as the air that Microphor uses.

See the manual attached below showing horizontal runs from the Tecma:

David or someone else may know if there is much difference in our plumbing.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  TecmaRVbilingualOMan.pdf (Size: 923.69 KB / Downloads: 1161)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
05-12-2015, 02:17
(05-11-2015 20:42)cmillsap Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 20:28)RetDA Wrote:  

Chuck

Tommy,

I'm not sure how your plumbing compares with the plumbing in my LXi. My toilet does not sit directly above the black tank either and it does have a horizontal plumbing run to the black tank. I've never had a problem with it as it flushes quite nicely. I would think that the electric pump would do the same job of moving the water as the air that Microphor uses.

See the manual attached below showing horizontal runs from the Tecma:

David or someone else may know if there is much difference in our plumbing.
My 94 is no air flapper ,but I believe it is over the tank. I never turn off my water pumps even when in storage they are on. 11 years and no issues. My LXi is an air flush system. Chucks suggestion toilet is on my list of things to do. My air pump kicks on every 20 min or so and I cant find the leak. beginning to think it is a check valve in the pump. th only way to est is to put a ball valve after the pump or just install an inline check valve ( if one exists)

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
05-12-2015, 08:38
my air toilet has the flap that I have to hit the first time we use it as it likes to stay open, too long

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
05-24-2015, 10:02
(05-12-2015 08:38)ernie ekberg Wrote:  my air toilet has the flap that I have to hit the first time we use it as it likes to stay open, too long
I finally got my Microphor toilet flap adjusted where it will now hold water in the bowl. I was trying to get the "pushrod" to the flap extended but it was just too little room in the back of the toilet for my hand to get inside.

Took the dang thing out so I could get in guts from the bottom. I do like the Microphor, but did the "engineers" who designed the thing ever realize that one day somebody would have to work on it?

Still a Newbie
1994 WB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)