Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 PT40 Radiator/Battery Covers
10-22-2014, 23:35
87 PT40 Radiator/Battery Covers
Today I lost another slat from the louvered covers over the engine radiator and battery compartment. I have been considering changing to either expanded metal or perf-metal, <http://www.stainlesssteelblog.com/2013/08/perforated-stainless-steel-plate.html>, but have questions:

For appearance, obscuring the interior of the engine spaces using the smallest holes would be preferred. How does one select an opening size to give airflow comparable to the original louvers?

I would paint the new panels to match the coach, but would prefer stainless or aluminum for corrosion resistance. There is also the concern about stiffness versus the need for bracing, and consequent weight issues.

One side is 52" wide by 43" tall, the other is 44" wide by 40" tall. A single 4'x8' sheet should be sufficient.

Anyone have a source for such materials? Suggestions?

(BTW, on my last visit to Colaw's salvage in MO, none of the birds had intact louvered covers, or any slats of sufficient length.)

Thanks--
M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently near Terrell, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2014, 01:14
RE: 87 PT40 Radiator/Battery Covers
(10-22-2014 23:35)mrkane Wrote:  Today I lost another slat from the louvered covers over the engine radiator and battery compartment. I have been considering changing to either expanded metal or perf-metal, <http://www.stainlesssteelblog.com/2013/08/perforated-stainless-steel-plate.html>, but have questions:

For appearance, obscuring the interior of the engine spaces using the smallest holes would be preferred. How does one select an opening size to give airflow comparable to the original louvers?

I would paint the new panels to match the coach, but would prefer stainless or aluminum for corrosion resistance. There is also the concern about stiffness versus the need for bracing, and consequent weight issues.

One side is 52" wide by 43" tall, the other is 44" wide by 40" tall. A single 4'x8' sheet should be sufficient.

Anyone have a source for such materials? Suggestions?

(BTW, on my last visit to Colaw's salvage in MO, none of the birds had intact louvered covers, or any slats of sufficient length.)

Thanks--
M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently near Terrell, TX

M.R.,
David will be along shortly I'm sure. He posted the grill, or slats, for another coach some time back. He xref'ed from a passenger coach being the same. Hope he can help.

Also like the expanded or perfed metal idea. Put in a couple horizontal cross members behind. That's how I mounted an Hayden fan to the grill.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
10-23-2014, 12:04 (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 14:31 by travelite.)
Curt, that must've been an LTC40 I was referring to. Let me look around to see if I can find it. Prevost uses some awfully big louvers too. MrKane, you may want to match what they have up for size.

MrKane, maybe these folks can help: http://www.ibpindustries.com/index.html

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
10-26-2014, 13:18 (This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 23:25 by GregOConnor.)
MrKane. Can you move the remaining louvers top and bottom and leave the missing louvers in the center then make a sheet metal c channel to fill the missing center solid. this will also act as a brace to keep the other louvers in place. you would need to angle the top bend up at the louver slat angle to hide the radiator and angle the bottom bend up to clear the slat below it.
the problem with using the expanded metal is the BlueBird designed angled louvers hide the radiator from view straight on (flat or mat black paint also helps). Building a gate with expanded metal it will look unfinished because you would be able to see the bracing and the radiator.
aluminum has its advantages in slats because it wont sag on the louver angle but it is too pliable. sheet metal with bends or bead-rolls is stronger than aluminum and remains more ridged and doesn't require the bracing and structure as using stock mild steel material.
here is a pic of my idea. in this pic I removed the louvers inline with the brown stripe and set in a full band of sheet metal. it obstructs some airflow but look at the old Buick grills
by the way this bus is for sale 29 grand http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=31564342&...=&ad_cid=1

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)