Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down-draft radiator fan failure
08-02-2013, 17:11
RE: Down-draft radiator fan failure
(08-01-2013 19:20)davidmbrady Wrote:  Here's your motor. It's also on ebay.

None of the Powertech generators in our Birds use enclosed motors; I'm sure you'd be fine with an exposed winding motor. If we can find some dimensions for the 5KCP39LGS8 we could probably match it up in Grainger's product line.

I ordered that motor from Ebay, but the site doesn't calculate shipping. Ultimately, the shipping charge was quoted at $30 in a follow-up email, but method was not specified. This is $10 greater than most other vendors. I'll see how the process goes.

Searching Ebay for all 1/3 HP HVAC motors yielded many similar units, made overseas, at similar pricing. Do the motors on the newer Powertech units use ball-bearing or sleeve bearings?

Thanks for the help.

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 17:56
I don't know if they're sleeve or ball bearing. Judging from what's available at Grainger's in that price range and size I'd guess sleeve. They seem to last 1500 hours or so, more in kind environments.

Here's another one available from Home Depot that appears to have the same specifications as your OEM motor. It's an A.O. Smith FSE1036SV1.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-02-2013, 18:09
(08-02-2013 17:56)davidmbrady Wrote:  I don't know if they're sleeve or ball bearing. Judging from what's available at Grainger's in that price range and size I'd guess sleeve. They seem to last 1500 hours or so, more in kind environments.

My generator has 4750 hrs. I wouldn't want to do this again in a couple years.

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
08-02-2013, 18:29 (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 18:36 by davidbrady.)
I have 3000 hours on mine and I replaced the fan at probably 2000 hours, so my estimate of lifetime is just a guess. It'd be interesting to hear from others as to the generator hours when their motor was replaced. It's a fairly harsh environment with heat, moisture, dust, dirt, and fumes. My fan housing and assembly looks a lot like yours; I can loosen the four screws in the slotted holes that hold the upper housing in place, disconnect the wires, and have a new motor installed in an hour. It's not a hard job. I don't know if we tend to see winding or bearing failure or at what proportion. We also might be seeing early failure due to faulty capacitors and resulting current overload. Will we see more lifetime with enclosed housings and ball bearings and is it worth the extra cost??? Maybe others have experience that can shed light on this.

Do you know for certain that you're replacing the original fan motor (the motor that your bus shipped with from Blue Bird)?

david brady,

08-02-2013, 20:41 (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 20:43 by patticake.)
I have 7400 hours and have owned mine for 8 years. Never replaced the motor.

Forgot, also have 220K+ miles on coach.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
08-04-2013, 12:05
That's compelling Steve. On my next fan motor replacement I'll try a ball bearing in an enclosed case model!

david brady,

08-04-2013, 16:32
I think that's what mine is, because it has oiling(sp) ports on the ends. If I spin it by hand, it turns for awhile.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
08-08-2013, 21:27 (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 16:45 by mrkane.)
(08-02-2013 18:29)davidbrady Wrote:  Do you know for certain that you're replacing the original fan motor (the motor that your bus shipped with from Blue Bird)?

Looks original, but there isn't any documentation. This coach was purchased from a consignment dealer.

Built a cradle and removed the fan today. Still waiting for the new motor.

Update: The motor arrived, not well packed, IMO, but good enough. Looks identical to old one, except made in Mexico, rather than USA.

Question to Steve: Do your oiling ports look like this? These were mounted downward on the old motor.

David, this pic shows a slice in the housing made by the blower, so I bet there was a previous repair.

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
08-08-2013, 22:03
It looks really great M.R.

It's obvious to me that your coach has never spent any time in the rust belt.

david brady,

08-09-2013, 16:49
Previous post (18) updated.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)