Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have a spare $1.3M lying around?
06-07-2013, 12:25
RE: Anyone have a spare $1.3M lying around?
I love that wood grained laminate too. The mahogany style ribboning is very striking! I spoke with a Newell salesperson at an RV show a couple years ago. We were standing in a coach that had what appears to be the same laminate. He said Newell moved away from wood cabinetry and furniture surfaces in favor of laminates. That was a couple of years ago, but I assume it still holds - until instructed differently! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2013, 13:02
(06-07-2013 10:59)encantotom Wrote:  pete, you could be right on the wood vs laminate. i know it was an expensive upgrade so you may be right.

btw, i just retired and am trying to figure out how to get a "newellhouse" (rather than birdhouse).

tom

Tom,
Congrats to you!!!!!!!Big GrinWink Well deserved! Yeah Newell or Bird houses / man caves can get pricey for sure!!!!!!!Big Grin But hey, old men need a place to hang out and play with their toys to stay out of trouble, ya know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!Tongue To be honest I'm waiting to see if I am going to be around long enough at home base and "bored" enough to justify a toy barn!!!! Just too many unknowns right now since I'm still working part time until December, but hey, keep working on your plan and so will I!Wink I'll share what I find out on the journey! We're still working on the right travel / home ,mix!!!!!!!!!Rolleyes
David,
Yeah no matter what that stuff is made of, I think it is awesome looking, I love the look as well as that 2013's colors and layout! I'm just shy a little "geld" if you get my drift and will have to admire it from afar unless my lottery ship arrives!Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
06-07-2013, 22:29
Steve, you can still have your toys, you just need a bigger "toy barn"!!!!! FWIW they just built some garage condo's down the street by the DIS track, clubhouse, showers, full hookups, the works, same company as a "friend" of mine who owns one somewhere else who shall go nameless! :-) I've been real tempted to bite, since I'm retiring, don't have a shop to play in or a place for one on the beach barrier island........ALAS, I'm still "mulling it over", I'll see how this full time retirement thing goes first and if I need a place to play!
[/quote]

Pete, my "toy house" is 4000sq.ft., and it's now too small. My younger son started moving some of his "junk" into it and I have trouble putting the bus in. Plus my other son has me doing mechanical work(lifting pickups) in my shop, because that is where the lift is. Problems, problemsBig Grin

Seriously though, I do like that coach, and like you said, if I had the winning ticket, I would probably get it. But, I think my BB friends would be mad at me for deserting them. Maybe if I put a bird on itTongue

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
06-08-2013, 09:31
(06-07-2013 22:29)patticake Wrote:  Steve, you can still have your toys, you just need a bigger "toy barn"!!!!! FWIW they just built some garage condo's down the street by the DIS track, clubhouse, showers, full hookups, the works, same company as a "friend" of mine who owns one somewhere else who shall go nameless! :-) I've been real tempted to bite, since I'm retiring, don't have a shop to play in or a place for one on the beach barrier island........ALAS, I'm still "mulling it over", I'll see how this full time retirement thing goes first and if I need a place to play!

Pete, my "toy house" is 4000sq.ft., and it's now too small. My younger son started moving some of his "junk" into it and I have trouble putting the bus in. Plus my other son has me doing mechanical work(lifting pickups) in my shop, because that is where the lift is. Problems, problemsBig Grin

Seriously though, I do like that coach, and like you said, if I had the winning ticket, I would probably get it. But, I think my BB friends would be mad at me for deserting them. Maybe if I put a bird on itTongue
[/quote]

Just think David you can buy 12- 1997 BB or 10 LXI Wanderlodge for that kind of money. It is very nice but how do anyone justify $1.3M to use once a week or a month, is that way we are have tax problem one hell of good write off.

Hisham and Sue Amaral
2004 Prevost XL2 Marathon (sold)
2003 Liberty H3-45 2 slide
Titusville, Florida
248-935-5390
06-08-2013, 11:54
Hisham,

i am sitting in camp newell right (beautiful grassy spot overlooking the plant and birds are chirping and a cool breeze blowing by) now and my wife and i spent time walking around the ones for sale. their sales office was closed so we walked around the outside of them. there is about 15-20 coaches for sale from a 2014 (that the outside is absolutely stunning), to a 2001. just let me know which one you want and i will pick it up for you when they open on monday.

i am going to build a toy barn and was thinking about 4200 sq feet. you made me laugh when you said yours was too small.

i would be interested in a layout of your toy barn. i am playing with layouts now.

and what dimensions etc.

thanks

tom in miami, ok

2002 Two Slide Newell Coach 608 DD Series 60, Allison 6 speed
[+] 1 user Likes encantotom's post
06-08-2013, 13:34
Tom,
It is about 50' x 80' x 16. A quanset(sp) hut type design, remember I live in a hurricane area, and this guaranteed to 150mph(provided no trees hit it).
The only thing I should have done(besides bigger) was to make it 20'h. Not much room to walk on the roof of the bus.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
06-08-2013, 14:11
i think i will do 18' side walls. with a peaked roof, that will make it higher inside.

i will do a regular metal building.

we are just now trying to find a house near our grandkids that will allow me to build a big shop

tom

06-09-2013, 08:45
Tom we walked inside the blue one. It's absolutely amazing. Cindy wanted it, thought I would have to leave in the middle of the nightBig Grin

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1998 Newell 45' double slide
2004 Z71 toad with Rzr 570LE
06-09-2013, 19:19
yea we went in it last nite. it is pretty cool. a fellow that has a 2011 parked next to us knew the door codes so took us on a private tour last nite. 2 of the coaches (beside the one he currently has) were his and he had traded them in. a 2006 and 2010.

it was fun, but all i could think about was depreciation and the costs of just owning them.

tom

06-10-2013, 10:51 (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 14:11 by pgchin.)
(06-07-2013 22:29)patticake Wrote:  Pete, my "toy house" is 4000sq.ft., and it's now too small. My younger son started moving some of his "junk" into it and I have trouble putting the bus in. Plus my other son has me doing mechanical work(lifting pickups) in my shop, because that is where the lift is. Problems, problemsBig Grin

Steve,
LMHO...... so lets see, 3 motorheads / wrench twisters divided by 4000SF equals 1333.3 SF per person with ONE paying all the rent!!!!!! Question, do you want another adopted son!!!!AngelBig Grin All kidding aside, GOOD FOR YOU! It keeps the family close and I am sure you enjoy your times with the boys...well MOST of it anyway!!! Great idea about the build, yes we both live in hurricane prone area's which is why I would NOT build by the house, hence the garage condos I can run to on the mainland if I need it...... I just need to "justify" the expense to myself....so we'll see!

Tom,
Steve actually brings up some interesting points about family sharing, etc. I said I would share so here is a "use case" you can Tailor to your family and needs by adding and subtracting ideas / items:

1) How many people are going to use it
2) What are your main hobbies / uses: Do you want an "auto shop environment" because you will work on the the coach, cars, motorcycles etc or is it primarily a coach garage and you want a wall between the coach garage and "shop" because your hobbies are metal, wood, etc and you want a fixed tool shop
3) Do you want overnight guests, then put in a pad with hookups
4) Are you going to work on many of your friends coaches, then do you need a bus lift, ramps, or pit
5) Do you need separate power and meters.how much amperage
6) Do you need heat and AC??? Is hazardous weather a factor where you want to build like hurricanes or tornado
Lastly, what is your budget?
Now, gather your wish list, then get it priced, from there look at your budget and then "debate and discuss" with yourself!Big Grin Based on the use case you develop, the building materials , size, etc....... should "fall out" automatically and address your use case requirements!Idea

Hish,
Too funny........ well the bottom line is a lot like the "lottery joke" I use but there is a serious side to it. If I win the lottery and my net work is 370 million, then 1.3 for a bus is chicken feed because my use case changes:
1) I now have a new job as CEO / head of my own investment hedge fund so I will be busy working 12 hour days trying to flip 370 million (last powerball winner in Fl, 84 YO woman in Zeffer Hills) into billions
2) I want a NEW bus and now become an American Express Black mechanic, drop it off at the factory, then let them fix it, I do not have time..my time is now worth BIG BUCKS!
3) Once a month, are you kidding me???? As a CEO of a hedge fund, and with all the new technology, I'd work out of the bus ANYWHERE, just like I do now,albeit I would probably hire a driver so I could work while rolling! So yes at 370 large, the bus is a HECK of a business office / travel write off!

Like I always tell Donna when we buy a quick pick when the lottery gets big, she wishes we'd win, I wish we DON"T.......BlushConfused Then I tell her because I DO NOT need another full time freakin JOB!!!!!!! Lottery winnings (being wealthy) has a down side and if I am going to put up with the bad, then Dad GUM, I'm gett'in me a cool ride to put up with the BS!Tongue Now her response to that, smart person that she is, is "you know dag well you are going to be bored in retirement so the hedge fund deal is "fun" for someone like you and you know it so stop giving me that line of malarkey!......:-)......:-0.......

My point to all this "lottery winning" use case is there ARE people with a net worth that can very easily handle a 1.3 mil expense........PLENTY of wealthy people in America that can justify the write off, its actually not hard at all! Me, well I drive a 95 bus.., NO write off, everything is just expense, so that says it all for me and my use case!!!!! :-)

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)