Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My bus is a green machine!
08-12-2013, 20:40 (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 21:38 by davidbrady.)
My bus is a green machine!
I was reading an article today about air travel. Turns out that a non-stop flight from New York City to San Francisco, flying coach, costs 2.23 tons of carbon dioxide per passenger.

The same 3000 mile trip in my bus costs 4.8 tons of carbon dioxide; for my family of five that comes out to about a ton of carbon dioxide per passenger.

If I were to do the same trip in my Toyota Sequoia loaded with 5 passengers and all our luggage it would cost roughly 1.6 tons of carbon dioxide or one third a ton of carbon dioxide per passenger, but it'd be tough to keep our sanity for the full trip duration.

Assuming we do keep our sanity and do make the 6 day journey I have to add in the carbon foot print of 5 nights of hotel stays and 3 restaurant stops per day along the way which adds approximately 500 lbs of carbon dioxide to the trip which bumps the per passenger amount up to around 0.37 tons of carbon dioxide.

Bottom line, my bus is a green machine! Yeah right!Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2013, 20:59
RE: My bus is a green machine!
Wonder what my Edsel gets. Maybe I ought to buy an early 60's VW, nah, no a/c.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
08-13-2013, 21:59
if I had to worry about all That, I'd get a pop-up

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
08-14-2013, 21:27
To put it into perspective, the average US household emits 48 tons of carbon dioxide equivalents per year. Our buses emit around 1.6 tons per 1000 miles driven. If you drive on average 7500 miles per year, that's 12 tons annually. If you full-time, you're carbon foot print is almost certainly significantly less than if you owned a home. If you burn B10 or B20 you should also get a credit. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)