Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-10-2013, 12:58
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
(07-10-2013 12:04)tcandt Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 10:53)gondolaguy Wrote:  I'm thinking it's going to be a good time to add some solar capacity, it would be pretty cool if the reefer could get all it's needs from Mr Yellowball

We had a tech talk at Quartzsite a few years ago from a show vendor who had a pliable sheet solar panel he was selling. After all the hype and some excitement from Bird Owners, he was walked through a coach to see what electric demands our coaches had. He left saying our roofs were not big enough to get sufficient solar power to do much good for our demands.

Solar is only additive to our coaches and I do not believe the benefits of the hard panels are sufficient to sacrifice the weight and space on the roof. On the other hand, I recently installed solar electric on my house roof with great results in reducing my monthly bill. It helps to be in Southern Cal. Big Grin

I agree that solar is not the 100% solution, especially in western NC this year!!! ughh!! On the other hand, it can be a very valid "extender" whatever is gained, just adds to the time available for boondock as well as keeps batteries topped off. If the Samsung 197, due its low power needs, can be covered by, say, 120 Watts of solar in an average location, the fridge has a net zero drain on the system. In fact, it would use less electrical power than a gas absorption fridge (fans, controls, lights) without the solar addition. That brings up a great question, what does the Dometic under fire (LRIM1200 or equivalent) draw for power to operate on gas?

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge - gondolaguy - 07-10-2013 12:58

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)