Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-07-2013, 00:53
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge
(07-05-2013 10:51)davidmbrady Wrote:  I don't think there's any question that the technology is sound. I find Tom's post very enlightening regarding the build quality and standards of the Dometic and Norcold absorption refrigerators. Folks who've replaced their cooling units with Amish units have reported improvements in quality.

Tom,

Have you had a chance to look at and assess any of the replacement aftermarket cooling units? I like the propane option too. I like being able to shut the coach down but my fridge stays cold. I haven't pulled mine to check the cavity dimensions or the state of the cooling unit but I will, and I do plan to line it with Hardie Backerboard. (Before I do I'll take a propane torch to see how long it takes to burn a hole through it - I may adjust the thickness accordingly). Again, I couldn't be more pleased with my Dometic's performance. It has always been ice cold and it has never failed. Perhaps in my case (by 2002) BB got the cavity dimensions right. All I want is an industrial grade cooling unit and I'd be happier than a pig in a poke.

Tom, any idea on the quantity of ammonia and hydrogen in the units? We want the backerboard to withstand any flame until all the fuel is consumed.

Johnny,

Sounds like you got the RF197 fastened down right. Any chance of a sketch of the brackets and attachment that you made at the base. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you fastened the RF197 at the base at all four corners. Given the amount of movement in our coaches I don't think fastening at the top will work very well; that is, fastening at the top rear of the fridge the way you typically would in a home.

David, not sure this will work but I am trying to attach a picture of the bracket I made to attach the front corners. I did not use the level screws on the front of the new fridge so I had a good place to bolt the bracket to and I put a screw through the bracket into the wood cabinet. I may not put a bracket in the back as I stated before, think I will run it for awhile to see if it will be needed.

I had the opportunity to take a good look at the 10 year old and the 5 year old cooling units that came out of my coach. My opinion is the quality of the material used to fabricate the cooling unit is substandard. I think I have pics of both units and if I can I will post them.

David I think you will be shocked when you open your fridge up and take a look at the cooling unit. My guess is it is rusted to the point you will wonder how it worked. In the mean time you have small children so make sure the smoke detectors work.
John

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge - Johnny M Slone - 07-07-2013 00:53

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)