Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-05-2013, 10:32 (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 10:38 by gondolaguy.)
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge
Tom,

Good to hear from an expert on these technologies.

What I extracted from your post actually increased my fear of these poorly designed products (even if the technology is sound!) I gathered: a) our RV refers are not built or installed to good standards in almost all cases, b) you recommend owners pull and inspect the ammonia cooling units (most won't until there is an issue, I'll bet) and c) you will fireproof your enclosure when the next refit happens. Not very comforting!

As far as the rumor...
"When asked why Norcold did not contest the claims that their products caused all the fires, some RV dealers and service people said the RV manufacturers threatened to ruin Norcold with a PR campaign and never use any Norcold products again."
...this smacks of backroom mechanic's theory versus real-world manufacturing business practice (my area of expertise).

Norcold most certainly decided to have the recalls in order to avert further liability (potentially with pressure from their insurer) for what appear to be direct cause-effect relationship to these fires and their product malfunctioning. While I'm sure the RV manufacturers expressed their obvious safety and reputation concerns, it is almost unprecedented that they would launch a PR campaign against Norcold. All they would need to do is stop buying the Norcold product to wage their vote. Clearly Bluebird would be no threat!

From the type of use you use your WL, I can see where the propane is a big advantage. The sad truth is, most RV owners will do zero maintenance or inspection, thereby just increasing the danger. I'm saving my LRIM 1200 fro the inevitable class action suit!!

(07-05-2013 10:02)Johnny M Slone Wrote:  Hello, I to am in the process of replacing the Norcold with the RF197. First of all I have nothing good to say about the Norcold fridge, my personal opinion is they are dangerous. I have owned my coach for 6 years and have had troubles on 4 different occasions. Mine caught fire and had I not been right on top of it no doubt it would have burned. I actually put the fire out. This is a long story and I will not go into it now. As for the replacement the Samsung only needed additional height. The width was perfect, the depth could have used an inch more but will work. My coach had a small drawer and a toe heater underneath, overhead had a small drawer. I kept the toe heater underneath and a small drawer over head. The fridge now has 1 1/2 inch free space on each side so it could be boxed in with the fireproof material. Overhead I left a small opening in the vent as I felt it could help the ventilation. I fabed a bracket to bolt to both sides at the bottom of the fridge that will screw to the cabinet. I will also put a bracket at the back near the ac outlet. I think this will hold it securely in place.
Johnny,
Yikes! I want to hear your story!

Was your Norcold an LRIM 1200? Interesting that my hole is a 1/4" small, according to the 197 specs at least. What is your coach? I'm really interested in how you secure the 197. Perhaps some install pics???? pretty pleaseBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge - gondolaguy - 07-05-2013 10:32

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)