Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-05-2013, 09:53
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge
I have had 2 of arguably the most fire prone refrigerators, the Norcold 1200s, I own an HVAC company, and have a Masters License in Maryland. That info & $1 will get you a cup of coffee in some low class dives. Big GrinBig Grin

Here are a few things to consider about refrigerators in our motor homes.

Ammonia based refrigeration systems are among the most efficient around, evidenced by the fact that most of the large commercial cold storage facilities use them. They are considered safe when properly installed and maintained. Some parts DO have a limited life cycle and have to be replaced -- nothing lasts forever.

The camper type refrigerators we all use are NOT built to the exacting standards that the Wanderlodge, MCI, Prevost and other commercial vehicles use; instead they are built to the "what can we built that will meet the minimum requirements and we can charge extortionate prices for" standard.

I have spoken with mechanics and service personnel in several RV shops in several states. An unscientific survey of these folks says around 80% of the refrigerator compartments did NOT meet manufacturers specifications and caused cooling/overheating problems. Naturally, larger refrigerators with bigger units would be more susceptible to overheating in a poorly designed enclosure than smaller ones.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS RUMOR AND INNUENDO AND CANNOT BE VALIDATED.
When asked why Norcold did not contest the claims that their products caused all the fires, some RV dealers and service people said the RV manufacturers threatened to ruin Norcold with a PR campaign and never use any Norcold products again.

When I replaced my Dometic refrigerator with the Norcold 1200 I now have, the enclosure did not meet Dometic's specs. I completely redesigned the enclosure and insulated the back wall.

I really like the Hardy board idea & will incorporate that into the installation when I replace cooling unit next year.

I am making no recommendations for refrigerator types. Each of us have different habits and requirements and should choose a unit that fits their lifestyles. Personally, my PT40 has not seen a campground since I got it. If it is not home, it is on batteries or generator. I like the propane options.

I would suggest to anyone who has a propane unit that they pull it and check the enclosure to see if it is up to specs. THERE IS LITTLE ROOM FOR ERROR. It has to be pretty close to right!

I hope this may assuage some of the fears some have had about about absorption refrigerators.

TOM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes oldmansax's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge - oldmansax - 07-05-2013 09:53

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)