Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-04-2013, 11:42 (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 12:54 by davidbrady.)
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge
(07-04-2013 10:30)gondolaguy Wrote:  Apparently it's not only heat to worry about.

The more I read, the happier I am with my decision. I also get the concept of keeping the absorption for its versatility and with some of you it will not be a problem as you are good at monitoring and preventative diagnosis. On the other hand, this article may tip the scales for some. I'm definitely excited about getting a much more modern and feature-full replacement for almost the same cost as the repair parts too.

Please read!!!
http://www.aegiforensics.com/library/pdf...-Part1.pdf

Corey,

Don't for get "Investigating Absorption Refrigerator Fires: Part 2":
.pdf  Invest-Absorpt-Refrig-Fires-Part2.pdf (Size: 2.08 MB / Downloads: 628)

These articles were written in 2008 and every year or so they make the rounds, and every year we go thru the same fear.

I spoke with Pierce over on the ForeForums website and he allowed me to post this link. He used a 1/4" thick Hardy Backerboard to fireproof the walls and ceiling behind the refrigerator. The backboard should be cut to fit and all the seams should be filled with flameproof caulk. The idea is that if there is an escape of the Hydrogen and Ammonia, if conditions are just right with the correct air/fuel mixture and an ignition source the gasses may burn. With a Hardy backboard lined cavity combustibles are isolated from any flame allowing the small quantity of fuel to burn out and extinguish.

Absorption refrigerators have a lifetime and as they age they can corrode and if run in a non-level condition for extended periods they can overheat and the cooling unit piping can crack. To circumvent this we need to inspect them or replace the cooling unit at a reasonable interval. Mine has been running continuously for almost ten years so it's probably a good time now to open it up and replace the cooling unit and clean and fire proof the cavity.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorbtion fridge - davidbrady - 07-04-2013 11:42

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)