Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-01-2013, 10:55
RE: Time to replace crappy Dometic junk absorbtion fridge
I ordered my Samsung from Sears (of all places) to be delivered the the Hendersonville, NC store. It was $1259.99 versus $1499 at Home Depot (Lowes can't get this model). I believe Sears is having a 4th of July sale. I looked at the bigger Samsungs at Lowes and they are slick looking units! I especially like the LED interior lighting.

Yesterday we took the old Dometic apart and learned a bunch that may be helpful. I could not verify if the black charred spots were true heat charring or just off gassing. Could be either, in any case doesn't add confidence.

Start by removing the doors and all the interior racks from the Dometic. Once you remove the Dometic from the wall, it makes sense to take the cooling unit off and remove it from the bus separately, it is more than half the weight of the entire unit and it makes getting the Dometic out the door a breeze. Essentially, you want to remove all the screws you can find inside the fridge then on the backside that are obvious. Also, unclip wires, etc and peel or slice the duct tape that hold the cooling unit in place (this will be obvious to you when you get into the job). When disconnected, the cooling unit comes out as one big, heavy and awkward part. It is easy to maneuver out the door, but be careful to remember it is full of ammonia!!!. Then the empty fridge box is light and narrower and also fits out the door. Here is the hole you are left with... İmage

What is interesting about the cavity for the gas absorption unit, is that it needs to be a completely sealed space. This means there was a lot of extra plywood and silicone used to make the space vent from the bottom. The great news here (in the LXi anyway) is that if you dismantle the "interior box" you will gain about 2" on the sides and 3.5" in the rear. Basically, you have the entire space to the wall with no obstructions. Here are some pics that may help explain. Top empty box removal must be done first in order to easily remove side panels. İmage left side panel removal shows construction of interior box. İmage Close up... İmage Finally, the rear panel is out exposing that there are no serious obstructions in using all of the rear space if needed. I will need to reposition the electrical box in some manner, maybe in the floor. İmage The Samsung will need a little more vertical space, and I have decided I will go up from the existing drawer instead of removing the drawer. Although the Samsung weighs about the same as the Dometic, it doesn't have the screw flanges on the side, so I'll need to be sure the floor will hold all the weight. Perhaps another layer of 1/2" plywood will be a good idea on the floor.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace crappy Dometic junk absorbtion fridge - gondolaguy - 07-01-2013 10:55

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)