Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to replace defective and potentially dangerous absorption fridge
07-01-2013, 00:09 (This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 00:27 by davidbrady.)
RE: Time to replace crappy Dometic junk absorbtion fridge
There's a bunch of answers here on the Samsung Tech Support page.

In short, the RF197 runs on 115V/60Hz/11.6 amps.The refrigerator draws between 0.8 and 4.3 amps depending upon what cycle is active. It can run on a modified sine wave inverter because it rectifies the power to DC. You need to leave 1" on each side of the refrigerator case and 2" above for sufficient air flow for the cooling system to work propery.

For RV real world experience, there's a guy over on the MotorhomeMagazine forum who reports a 12 amp compressor startup current which drops to 1.3A and after a minute down to 1.0A. He says the defrost cycle draws 3.6A for 15 minutes, but he doesn't say how often per day it kicks in. He reports the fridge is able to run overnight on his 150AH battery bank which I assume is limited to 50% depth of discharge.

This wouldn't pose much of a problem for my LXi's electrical system: 6 AGM Lifeline 4D battery bank (1260 AH), 280 Amp Xantrex chargers, 15KW Powertech generator, and 300A 50DN alternator. So for me, boondocking with the RF197 or similar 12V high efficiency residential fridge should be feasible.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to replace crappy Dometic junk absorbtion fridge - davidbrady - 07-01-2013 00:09

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)