Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Michigan-upper peninsular
05-30-2013, 13:17
Michigan-upper peninsular
Anybody have any recommendations on places to stay, cool things to do during the summer here? Are the temps cooler here?? Thanks!Wink

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2013, 14:19
RE: Michigan-upper peninsular
A quick look at rvparkreviews.com shows the state is covered in places to stay. Here's the link:

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/Michigan/

I've not seen a state as covered!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
06-01-2013, 11:51
Pete and Donna, 2-3 years ago we spent some time in the U. P. (upper peninsular) with 3 other coaches. Lots to do and see. At the east end try for the little town of Hessel. A wooden boat show that attracts 130 classics. 3 days Aug. 9-11
Spend a little time in Sault Staint Marie and watch the great lake freighters lock through. If you time it right you'll see 1,000 ft ships. There is a web site to check on ship traffic.
There are nice parks in Munising, see Pictured Rocks, Marquette, Houghton, take a copper mine tour, drive up to Copper Harbor, see Lake of the Clouds in Ontonagon, , and Fayette, an old pig iron harbor.
The weather is usually in the 70's day time. Evenings are cool and great for camp fires. Be sure to try the miner's lunch. They're called
pasties, a "hot pocket with meat, potatoes, and veggies."
Oh, and if you can pronounce all the towns correctly you are from Michigan. The U-pers call us lower peninsular people "trolls" because we live beneath "the Bridge".

Jack and Ila VanDenBerg
Glenn, Mi. 49416
M 450
Ruffled Feathers
[+] 1 user Likes jackvdb@gmail.com's post
06-02-2013, 12:40
(06-01-2013 11:51)jackvdb@gmail.com Wrote:  Pete and Donna, 2-3 years ago we spent some time in the U. P. (upper peninsular) with 3 other coaches. Lots to do and see. At the east end try for the little town of Hessel. A wooden boat show that attracts 130 classics. 3 days Aug. 9-11
Spend a little time in Sault Staint Marie and watch the great lake freighters lock through. If you time it right you'll see 1,000 ft ships. There is a web site to check on ship traffic.
There are nice parks in Munising, see Pictured Rocks, Marquette, Houghton, take a copper mine tour, drive up to Copper Harbor, see Lake of the Clouds in Ontonagon, , and Fayette, an old pig iron harbor.
The weather is usually in the 70's day time. Evenings are cool and great for camp fires. Be sure to try the miner's lunch. They're called
pasties, a "hot pocket with meat, potatoes, and veggies."
Oh, and if you can pronounce all the towns correctly you are from Michigan. The U-pers call us lower peninsular people "trolls" because we live beneath "the Bridge".

Jack,
MANY Thanks! Just what we were looking for!Big GrinTongue we've never been and nothing like getting a first hand recommendation from a member that has been there and done that!!!! You are the best!!!! Many thanks! We'll take ALL your suggestions, I LOVE watching the freighters and locks!!!!!!! We're looking for some "cooler weather"........too,too hot in Florida right now!!!!!!!!Rolleyes BTW I LOVE the line about the "trolls" that is so funny!!!!!!!!!!Big Grin And I doubt I will be able to pronounce ANY of the towns correctly but I'll give'er a go when we get there!

John, thanks, yeah we use rvreviews religiously!Wink Thanks again for the tip!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
07-16-2013, 15:08 (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 15:18 by pgchin.)
Jack,
Can't thank you enough!Big Grin We're currently in MI, "trolling it" and heading for the upper peninsula. We're booked for pictured Rocks, Boat show and the locks at the city RV park!Tongue Currently hold up in the "burbs" of Detroit while I work for 3 days! Funny story for you and the crew.... So I drive MANY hours on Sunday, get off to find the RV park ,dog tired,....... TINY burbs roads!Rolleyes Uh-OH, NO street signs and we MISS the last road to the RV park! 1/2 block after the missed turn , up pops the Ford Rawsonville Road Plant!Idea Donna says, gee too bad you can't drive through the executive circular drive / parking right out front! We could just roll in and roll out back to the turn road in the circular drive! Now, it's Sunday and the executive lot is empty and I "think" the plant is closed, so I say, "says you, watch me".Yep in one circular drive and line the 65 foot rig (Bus and toad) in tow right in front of the parking lot and Ford plant sign!Angel "Drive like a pro"!!! Wink inches to spare on both sides! Don't want to scape my new sneakers! So while Donna calls the campground to make sure we indeed needed to go back one street, out front is a BEAUTIFUL area of soft grass and HUGE shade trees, the dogs have been in the bus for hours so I take them out for a Romp in REAL GRASS, not that Florida crabweed crap and they have a ball!Tongue On my way out, I realize not only is the plant open on Sunday and the side parking lot is full of cars with a guard shack but the building was occupied!Blush We were probably the topic "de Jour" at the Plant water cooler Monday am about how those crazy Floridiot "gray hairs" thought the executive plant parking lot was an RV rest area!!!!! Teehee...gotta love it! I guess age does have it's rewards and you can still do stupid things!! It truly is an adventure and a journey!!!!! Decades later I'm still love'in it!!! Gee, I wonder if we are on utube!Cool
PS Will attach some pics when we get up there of the locks and boats! I LOVE wooden boats and HUGE ships!
PSS If you are ever in Detroit for the Ford Museum or Motown doing the tourist thing and "Dim sum" is your "thing" the Shangri-la Chinese Restaurant either in West Bloomfield or downtown Detroit has some of the best I've had outside of Downtown NY when I was a kid!Wink Awesome stuff!!!
PSS and the toad was a Chevy NOT a Ford so you KNOW dad gum well my name was MUD!!!!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
07-16-2013, 22:34 (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 22:38 by cmillsap.)
Pete,

Getting to the U.P. is an adventure in itself. Crossing the 2.25 mile Mackinac Bridge in a big bus is a real experience. The constant winds cause the bridge to sway and the ability for a driver to look down at the water through the open steel grating of the roadbed in front of the vehicle gives you an erie feeling.

If my memory serves me right; a bridge official stated that they do, on average, 3 assists a day where drivers attempt to cross the bridge but get cold feet and stop on the bridge.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a Drivers Assistance Program that provides drivers for those uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. Those interested can arrange, either by phone or with the toll collector, to have their cars or motorcycles driven to the other end. There is no additional fee for this service. Bicycles and pedestrians are not permitted on the bridge; an exception is allowed for riders of two annual bicycle tours. For a $5.00 fee, the Authority will transport bicyclists and their vehicles across the bridge.[2]

Travelers across the Mackinac Bridge can listen to an AM radio broadcast that recounts the history of the bridge and provides updates on driving condition

While you are in the vicinity, a ferry ride to visit Mackinac Island for a day should not be missed.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
07-18-2013, 14:47 (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 14:55 by pgchin.)
(07-16-2013 22:34)cmillsap Wrote:  Pete,

Getting to the U.P. is an adventure in itself. Crossing the 2.25 mile Mackinac Bridge in a big bus is a real experience. The constant winds cause the bridge to sway and the ability for a driver to look down at the water through the open steel grating of the roadbed in front of the vehicle gives you an erie feeling.

If my memory serves me right; a bridge official stated that they do, on average, 3 assists a day where drivers attempt to cross the bridge but get cold feet and stop on the bridge.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a Drivers Assistance Program that provides drivers for those uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. Those interested can arrange, either by phone or with the toll collector, to have their cars or motorcycles driven to the other end. There is no additional fee for this service. Bicycles and pedestrians are not permitted on the bridge; an exception is allowed for riders of two annual bicycle tours. For a $5.00 fee, the Authority will transport bicyclists and their vehicles across the bridge.[2]

Travelers across the Mackinac Bridge can listen to an AM radio broadcast that recounts the history of the bridge and provides updates on driving condition

While you are in the vicinity, a ferry ride to visit Mackinac Island for a day should not be missed.

Chuck,
Thanks for the Mac Island trip tip!Big Grin Yes you are correct about the bridge. However, we hit it a 7:45 am this morning and with the Cold Front kinda circling around "us", the wind was calm and WHAT A VIEW we got!Big Grin Clouds and T storms in the distance over Mac Island sun coming up elsewhere, Wow, as we watched it all from the top of the bridge!!!!! Yes I was in the inner lane taking it all in!!!!!!!Tongue The bus windows were full of bugs and it was raining pretty good so the pics came out crappy but it indeed was a "treat"....... Breathtaking!!!!!!!
FWIW We got to the campground by the locks and not 10 minutes after I finished setting up a 600-800ft lakes bulk Freighter came by!!!!!Smile I have pics of the bird and the "wheel house' as it passed, will attach here as soon as I can bring up the other computer where the photo "stuff is", on WIFI as we speak........ it was freak'in HUGE!
You've Rv'ed enough years to know some trips are easy, some take the mantra "the hard way", By Lee Childs, "Jack Reicher". This is one of those trips, we've been in a campground that the "monsoons" were so bad, the dump station closed because the drain fields were flooded. In Detroit , with the heat wave, the power went down and was not expected back for DAYS!Angel So you know the drill, solve problems as they come and enjoy the heck out the trip!!!!!!!! Thank God We are in a bird with redundant systems online and the wine chiller is fixed. We are stopping in the wine country here in MI to "stock up" right after the wooden boat show in Cedarville!!!!!!!Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
07-19-2013, 13:04 (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013 13:05 by pgchin.)
RE: Michigan-upper peninsular- Loks Pictures added and Truck overturns on Bridge
Jack and Chuck,
Pics added, sorry for the delay, VERY bad storms up here Yesterday and today! Did these in between the rain drops!Big Grin
1) the 600-800 footer and the bird for a comparison
2) a little something different, cool!
3) Another Big Boy from the roof of the bird!Rolleyes Storm clouds a"comin!

Chuck, can you predict the future? If so, please PM me Tomorrow nights Powerball winning numbers!Wink Thanks!

FYI:
http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.as...elg1W0efOY

The local TV pic was better, it actually SHOWED the 18 wheeler resting on its side against the bridge suspension wires. Lucky for him the bridge had wires or he would be in the drink!Angel

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
07-19-2013, 23:06 (This post was last modified: 07-19-2013 23:13 by cmillsap.)
RE: Michigan-upper peninsular- Loks Pictures added and Truck overturns on Bridge
(07-19-2013 13:04)pgchin Wrote:  Jack and Chuck,
Pics added, sorry for the delay, VERY bad storms up here Yesterday and today! Did these in between the rain drops!Big Grin
1) the 600-800 footer and the bird for a comparison
2) a little something different, cool!
3) Another Big Boy from the roof of the bird!Rolleyes Storm clouds a"comin!

Chuck, can you predict the future? If so, please PM me Tomorrow nights Powerball winning numbers!Wink Thanks!

FYI:
http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.as...elg1W0efOY

The local TV pic was better, it actually SHOWED the 18 wheeler resting on its side against the bridge suspension wires. Lucky for him the bridge had wires or he would be in the drink!Angel

Pete,

Predict the future? HA! I wish...........

That semi looks like the wind blew it over? Maybe the trailer was empty?
But for the suspension wires; that would have been about a 200' drop to the water!

Are you in Sault Ste Marie?

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
[+] 1 user Likes cmillsap's post
07-22-2013, 10:41
(07-19-2013 23:06)cmillsap Wrote:  Pete,

Predict the future? HA! I wish...........

That semi looks like the wind blew it over? Maybe the trailer was empty?
But for the suspension wires; that would have been about a 200' drop to the water!

Are you in Sault Ste Marie?
Chuck,
The state trooper did an interview on TV a couple of days later......said although it was windy, the driver was speeding and panicked.....emphasized the driver assist program and to slow downWink Yep, no wires and the boy would have been in the drink swimming with the fishes!
Yes in Sault Ste Marie for the next 2 weeks doing the tourist thing here and across the border with our Canadian neighbors. Will head down to Cedarville for the annual wooden boat show per Jack's recommendation, then maybe wine country or something....still working on back end plans!Smile The RV park is 3-4 miles from the center of town and we went to the SOO LOKS park this weekend to watch the "big boys" in the loks! Very cool!Big Grin I'll attach some more pics tomorrow when I bring up the other computer.............Must be about a 5-10 foot drop/rise....... FWIW after the front moved past the first 2 days, weather has been BEAUTIFUL.....50-60 at night, low-mid 70's during the day! The Pom with the heart condition is Thriving....being an obnoxious PIA and walking around the entire park! Usually I have to carry him to some shade ....He loves the cold.......so do we!!!!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)