Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
06-09-2013, 23:21 (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 23:22 by nedb.)
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
(06-09-2013 20:45)DonB Wrote:  My home DSL modem-router is dyndns aware, so if its IP changes it sends it to dyndns. The DVR can do it as well, but it is nice to have it done by the modem.

Nice! My ISP doesn't support it in cable modem firmware AND I'm stuck with their preferred cable modem to support their VoIP service. Would be nice to have more choices, in that department. OK, what I really mean is in all departments related to cable.

I have a wireless router (an Asus, a couple years old ) with the dyndns option, so I have something that could make up that aspect of the XIG. So the wireless router would use the mifi as a gateway to the 'net, and I think the MiFi would have to send incoming XIG traffic to the Asus. Boy, I don't know, I wouldn't want all port 80 traffic on the XIG connection. May be feasible if the MiFi has true router features, but I don't think it does.

I'm still left to wonder if the device cloud forwards my goals. Obviously, I can get together all the device identifiers and sensors in a lookup table and even compose XML to identify data types, sensor data, etc. What remains is who to send it to, and what protocol to use. HTML for text, not a bad choice. The device cloud would store it for me, and let Wagu download it for analysis, storage. I can see there's a budding market for services like that, but I'm not clear what it offers me for the money. I could do most of that right here in my coach, without transmitting it to a remote cloud.

I'm not slow, I just have farther to go. I go around my hand to get to my thumb Smile

Ah! I remember now--the thrust of the cloud and Wagu storage is *remote monitoring*. There's monitoring, and then there's remote monitoring like Don's camera system or David pool temperature display. As a paid service, it would be analogous to Don paying a security company to monitor his cams, respond to alarms, and so forth.

Is Wagu preparing to do these things, David? Big Grin

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs) - nedb - 06-09-2013 23:21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)