Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
06-09-2013, 19:35
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
About MiFi as a 2-way monitoring/command-control for SAN. I have a MiFi that is always on. It uses a DHCP-assigned temporary IP address, but it rarely needs rebooting, so it keeps the address for weeks and months. Still, it isn't as stable as a static IP.

I can't recall the name at the moment, but there is a service on the 'net that will let anyone associate a domain with a dynamic ip address.

I believe it originally was developed by gamers for gamers--because some network multiplayer games don't perform well unless the player is on a static IP address. Since many gamers are broadband subscribers using a DHCP-assigned IP address from their broadband company, they turn to this service to virtualize the temporary IP as the internet-reachable server for their domain. Presumably, the service has a big block of static IPs to loan. Further, I presume that the gamer runs a script or process that keeps the service's DNS record updated with their current dynamic IP.

I've never used it, but I have seen the option on routers. It is just a checkbox, something like "Allow <servicename> y/n" I don't even know what fees apply, I just have the scant information stored in long term memory as a work-around option, possibly useful. Shouldn't be too hard to run it down WHEN MY XBEE GEAR FINALLY GETS HERE and I can noodle around productively with remote monitoring and control.

You're probably right about the internet thermostats actually being just intranet thermostats. I imagined they had unique identifiers and communicated with a server somewhere, sort of like the digi cloud. A cloud of thermostats, has it really come to this?

Looking at the downloads today, trying to find that gateway for apple....

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs) - nedb - 06-09-2013 19:35

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)