Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
06-08-2013, 11:16 (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 15:00 by davidbrady.)
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
Hey Ned,

Thanks!

I have my Arduino sending periodic temperature I/O data samples to the ZigBee Gateway once every 30s. The gateway opens a TCP connection to the Digi Device Cloud and sends an HTTP Post. The Digi Device Cloud stores the samples and allows WaGu to query for data using an HTTP Get. When WaGu issues the Get the Device Cloud responds with the below XML form. WaGu parses the results to pull out the temperature. As you can see there's a ton more info in the XML that I'll parse when I have the time. Right now my challenge is XBee signal strength. My pool house is quite far away from my laptop in my home. I'm using the XBee with the printed circuit board antenna. I need to order another XBee to act as a repeater in my mesh network. This way it'll relay messages from my Arduino to my laptop. I'm sampling swimming pool water temperature, but this could just as easily be the temperature inside your bus.

It's a great proof of concept Ned. My laptop gateway will be replaced with my Digi WR21 cellular router and connectPort X2. This will be the mobile XBee Internet Gateway which will be installed in my bus. Then it's a simple matter of moving over as many Arduino/XBee boards wired to sensors as I need to monitor Temperature, Voltages, Currents, Cameras, to my hearts content! And, this is scaleable. Anyone wishing to set this up will need to create a free account on Digi's Device Cloud. Data will be sent and stored there and on WaGu I can keep a secure MySQL record of participants account credentials and I can provide a webpage for them to see their gauges.

It is our first Sensor Area Network!

<result>
<resultTotalRows>1</resultTotalRows>
<requestedStartRow>0</requestedStartRow>
<resultSize>1</resultSize>
<requestedSize>1000</requestedSize>
<remainingSize>0</remainingSize>
<DiaChannelDataFull>
<id>
<devConnectwareId>00000000-00000000-001F16FF-FF2A2B07</devConnectwareId>
<ddInstanceName>XBee_40A03DF3</ddInstanceName>
<dcChannelName>temp</dcChannelName>
</id>
<cstId>4736</cstId>
<xpExtAddr>00:13:A2:00:40:A0:3D:2F</xpExtAddr>
<dcDataType>0</dcDataType>
<dcUnits>C</dcUnits>
<dcdUpdateTime>2013-06-08T14:02:11.000Z</dcdUpdateTime>
<dcdStringValue>72.08</dcdStringValue>
<dcdFloatValue>72.08</dcdFloatValue>
</DiaChannelDataFull>
</result>

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs) - davidbrady - 06-08-2013 11:16

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)