Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
06-02-2013, 03:14 (This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 03:29 by nedb.)
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs)
(06-01-2013 23:38)davidmbrady Wrote:  Admittedly, I may have seen Gosling's prognostications some time ago and some of it obviously stuck. Smile

Maybe at a brown bag lunch talk. His pedigree was something like Carnegie-Mellon (PhD) to Bell Labs, then on to the Valley and Sun, then a lot of grief with Google, Oracle, ....

Quote:What they're doing now with the Connect product family is what we would term "technology agnostic"; i.e., they don't care what the nuts and bolts are as long as there are nuts and bolts

I overheard a guy yelling at work one day. His office was next to mine and he never shut his door, 'tho he always seemed to be in conversation. On this particular day he was obviously on a difficult phone call with someone he took for a moron. When he finally lost it, the whole hallway hjeard him yelling into the phone, "Look, don't give me all this religion. I just want the data!!"

Agnostic, hahaha Big Grin

Quote: In five years from now there will be a clear winner in the M2M market and companies like Digi will either simplify and consolidate their product lines or give way to newcomers.

This is worrisome in the vehicular sensing market. While CAN is a standard to build on, the products seem to come out of silos where they aren't aware of parallel efforts in related markets. Here's a cute wireless sensor net for boats. Do you think they are remotely aware, with their proprietary NMEA standard, of the RV market? I gotta wonder why no open standard has blown them out of the water yet?

http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/seasmart.html

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sensor Area Networks (SANs) - nedb - 06-02-2013 03:14

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)