Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
10-16-2013, 11:10 (This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 11:12 by timetravelers.)
RE: LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
Thanks, Chuck & David.

My intention is to travel from CO to FL for the winter in 2 weeks. I have a new 1" wet spline pump in hand and want to rebuild (convert) the existing PTO to the 1" wet spline. I may send it to PTO sales in Fontana, CA for rebuild where yours was converted. I imagine they will make sure the mesh with the Allison would be maintained. Maybe I can find a good Chelsea dealer in FL to do it and save the shipping.

I also have installed the VMSpc to monitor temps (with alarms) in case the spline does fail. I feel OK about running it another 1500 miles and then converting it. I think it's great that it lasted this long even though the incorrect and excessive grease was used for years. The coke bottle noise has occasionally occurred for the past year at idle engine speed. George Morris didn't know what it was last spring, so he changed the oil and filters in the system. He is aware about the spline failures, when I told him I had split the assembly and checked the splines. He also said that it only needs about 2 pumps on the grease gun.

David, the picture is a cell phone shot and not too accurate, the wear is silver and not deep. But you're right, it's time to change it. What do you think of it lasting 160,000 miles?

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines - timetravelers - 10-16-2013 11:10

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)