Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
10-16-2013, 11:10 (This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 11:12 by timetravelers.)
RE: LXi and WideBody PTO/Pump Splines
Thanks, Chuck & David.

My intention is to travel from CO to FL for the winter in 2 weeks. I have a new 1" wet spline pump in hand and want to rebuild (convert) the existing PTO to the 1" wet spline. I may send it to PTO sales in Fontana, CA for rebuild where yours was converted. I imagine they will make sure the mesh with the Allison would be maintained. Maybe I can find a good Chelsea dealer in FL to do it and save the shipping.

I also have installed the VMSpc to monitor temps (with alarms) in case the spline does fail. I feel OK about running it another 1500 miles and then converting it. I think it's great that it lasted this long even though the incorrect and excessive grease was used for years. The coke bottle noise has occasionally occurred for the past year at idle engine speed. George Morris didn't know what it was last spring, so he changed the oil and filters in the system. He is aware about the spline failures, when I told him I had split the assembly and checked the splines. He also said that it only needs about 2 pumps on the grease gun.

David, the picture is a cell phone shot and not too accurate, the wear is silver and not deep. But you're right, it's time to change it. What do you think of it lasting 160,000 miles?

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2013, 10:40
Morey,

I think the splines look good for the miles on them. Some PTO's are better than others. Some will wear thru the splines quickly while others, like yours, do so slowly. I think you can get another 10K miles out of the splines without worry. I'd continue with your greasing protocol, a couple of squirts every few thousand miles or every three months, and think about replacing the splines over the course of the next year.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-31-2015, 14:52
Okay everyone, so I've put down a deposit on what looks to be a beautiful LXi with an owner that seems to be very honest and open...

In a question posed by another member I was prodded to ask if the PTO pump has been serviced or replaced...

I asked the CO via text and his response was "I assume u are asking about the pump that provides pressure to run the power steering and the cooling fan. I have never had a problem with it. It does not leak and functions perfectly. I did have a crack in the heat exchanger fixed a couple of years ago and replaced a marginal hose at one point!"
He then asked why I asked. And then he texted "I am curious as to weather there has been a problem with the pumps?"

So, is there a reason I ought to pursue this at this point or is it really more of a case by case sort of thing?

"The Wanderers" Cool
Michael & Gary
Damn..... STILL looking, and looking, and looking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2015, 15:41
you should just assume that 20 grand of stuff needs attention in the next 2 years. 5 grand if you can do the work yourself. feel lucky if it is less, feel more secure with the bus if it is more. . Pumps fail usually from cavitation, air in the oil or metal from other parts passing the pump. I burnt up a brand new hydro pump by not priming it when i installed it so it ran dry for 30 seconds and 500 rotations. My 94 was in great shape but the new owner already put all drums and shoes, tires and a new alt that has to be around $6,500. or six months of payments on a Fleetwood class C

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
08-31-2015, 15:57
Dude, you are going to scare yourself out of this coach.. aren't you? No, the PTO should not be a deal breaker. Something you want to keep greased and in check yes, but not a deal breaker. I truly doubt many have been replaced without a failure of some sort.

Turner's on Tour
'97 Wanderlodge 43'
Full-timers originally from Wilmington, NC

[+] 2 users Like Deb N Randy's post
08-31-2015, 17:01
Is this something the LX owners need to be concerned about?

Hal Kading 2003 LX40 Las Cruces NM

Hal Kading
Las Cruces NM
2003 LX 40 2S
1978/1998 GMC Buskirk Stretch
1977 GMC Kingsley for sale
1976 GMC Edgemont sold
08-31-2015, 17:47 (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 18:28 by davidbrady.)
Hi Hal,

Yes it effects the LX too. Here's a link for the proper spline grease: http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/showthread.php?tid=9767

Don't use any old grease; use the right stuff. Only these high pressure high temperature purpose made spline lubes are adequate.

Sorry, there were a lot of broken links in the above referenced thread. I fixed them. Folks, since our move to the new server a lot of links became broken. If you find affected posts please report them to me and I'll fix the links. At the bottom of every post is a button to report the post to the administrator. Make a simple note in the report that the links are broken. Thanks!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-31-2015, 18:17
I hope not to scare myself out of it because it seems that, if I am to buy a Wanderlodge coach, this would be the one! I'm just starting to think about all the things I need to consider, ship stuff to David to have there for me, and what I'll need to maybe ponder doing or keeping an eye on when I get back here to Maryland.

It's like any big purchase, cold feet/buyers remorse, I just need to get past it.

"The Wanderers" Cool
Michael & Gary
08-31-2015, 21:46
first coach, I presume?

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
08-31-2015, 21:56 (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 21:57 by Garynmike.)
No, actually. I have previously owned a 1995 Airstream Classic 36' diesel pusher. I paid $37k for that one which seemed like a lot to me at the time... and then when I started looking at Wanderlodges.

So now I'm up to $70k, and although I really believe this could be a coach to take us on many fascinating journeys of fun and discovery, it is such a huge step of faith.

I guess my biggest concern is all the things that could go wrong and could cost a fortune to fix.... like a PTO assembly out on the highway.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"The Wanderers" Cool
Michael & Gary

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)