Charlie
St. Albans, WV
93 WB
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2012, 11:21
Xantrex Generator Auto Start
Charlie,

I'm not clear if you are asking about wire runs to reach a gen start switch, or
wiring connections at the start switch to make it work?

Assuming (danger, I know) that you are talking wiring runs, and that your
Xantrex is in the rear bay on the passenger side right above the battery bank,
like on my 91, wouldn't it be easier to run the wire to the gen start switch in
the bedroom rather than to the front overhead? On my 91, the rear gen start
switch is almost directly above the Inverter/Charger. That would be the
shortest wiring run.

Close?

Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan"
San Antonio, TX

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "chaaur2" wrote:
>
> I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 Inverter/Charger installed in my 93 WB, I am
attempting to install the auto start for the generator using the remote start
switch that is located in the overhead. Any help with the wiring would be
appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Charlie
> St. Albans, WV
> 93 WB
>
11-15-2012, 13:18
Wiring connections at the start switch to make it work

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "mbulriss" <mbulriss@...> wrote:
>
> Charlie,
>
> I'm not clear if you are asking about wire runs to reach a gen start switch,
or wiring connections at the start switch to make it work?
>
> Assuming (danger, I know) that you are talking wiring runs, and that your
shortest wiring run.
>
> Close?
>
> Mike Bulriss
> 1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan"
> San Antonio, TX
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "chaaur2" wrote:
> >
> > I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 Inverter/Charger installed in my 93 WB, I
am attempting to install the auto start for the generator using the remote start
appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Charlie
> > St. Albans, WV
> > 93 WB
> >
>
11-16-2012, 14:12
Charlie,

Since no one has responded, I'll give it a shot. After looking it up, I see
that your Xantrex auto start box has wiring conncetions for the start, stop and
preheat functions, among others. My guess is you are going to need Bosch relays
that these three wires will feed in the overhead and then splice the output side
of the Bosch relay into the appropriate wires coming off the backside of the
genset switch for each function. I have not looked at the back side of that
switch, but I note that the front stop side also powers the preheat function, so
you may only need two Bosch relays and trigger one with both the preheat and
stop wires.

That's where I would start.

If you are not familiar with Bosch relays, there are plenty of diagrams on the
net showing how they work. Basically they have power in/power out, and you will
use the wiring inputs from the Xantrex to trigger the power to the circuit you
need energized (e.g. the wires coming off the genset switch for each of the 3
functions, since you are trying to use the existing switch wiring).

The Bosch relays are commonly used to provide a shorter power path to
electronics rather than enduring a significant lose of current by having a long
run from the battery to an on/off switch, and then to the device being powered.
As such they have been used to brighten headlights on the older Birds by
reducing long wiring runs. On my drag car, I used a Bosch relay to reduce the
power run from the battery to the electric fuel pump to about one foot of
wiring, and then using a dash switch to energize the Bosch relay. The short run
provided better power to the fuel pump, thereby eliminating a fuel flow problem
that had developed under heavy load.

Hope this helps. I'll double check this with electrical guru Bill Schreurs
tomorrow when I see him, since he stopped by my little town tonight.

Mike Bulriss - I run an electronics mfg company but HATE electric work
San Antonio, TX

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "chaaur2" wrote:
>
> Wiring connections at the start switch to make it work
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "mbulriss" <mbulriss@> wrote:
> >
> > Charlie,
> >
> > I'm not clear if you are asking about wire runs to reach a gen start switch,
or wiring connections at the start switch to make it work?
> >
> > Assuming (danger, I know) that you are talking wiring runs, and that your
shortest wiring run.
> >
> > Close?
> >
> > Mike Bulriss
> > 1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan"
> > San Antonio, TX
> >
> > --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "chaaur2" wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 Inverter/Charger installed in my 93 WB, I
am attempting to install the auto start for the generator using the remote start
appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Charlie
> > > St. Albans, WV
> > > 93 WB
> > >
> >
>
11-17-2012, 02:24
Hi Charlie,

Im not really familar with the 93's and where the genny switches are, or your intended uses for the auto start.  Some help with that would be nice ;}

Looking at the Xantrex AGS install manual it seems that the AGS relays are rated at 5a so you may not need a pilot relay.  I suspect that the switches drive pilot relays in the genny control box, but am not sure.  You could check by hooking a amp meter and checking the current required to start and stop the gen.

Since the AGS is wired to the can bus its easy to put that near a genny switch.  Not sure where the inverter control panel is, if its near a gen switch the AGS could go nearby and make wiring easier.

The manual has quite a few wiring diagrams for reference, are you looking at any one in particular?

HTH, Joe

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM, mbulriss <"mbulriss@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Charlie,

Since no one has responded, I'll give it a shot. After looking it up, I see that your Xantrex auto start box has wiring conncetions for the start, stop and preheat functions, among others. My guess is you are going to need Bosch relays that these three wires will feed in the overhead and then splice the output side of the Bosch relay into the appropriate wires coming off the backside of the genset switch for each function. I have not looked at the back side of that switch, but I note that the front stop side also powers the preheat function, so you may only need two Bosch relays and trigger one with both the preheat and stop wires.

If you are not familiar with Bosch relays, there are plenty of diagrams on the net showing how they work. Basically they have power in/power out, and you will use the wiring inputs from the Xantrex to trigger the power to the circuit you need energized (e.g. the wires coming off the genset switch for each of the 3 functions, since you are trying to use the existing switch wiring).

The Bosch relays are commonly used to provide a shorter power path to electronics rather than enduring a significant lose of current by having a long run from the battery to an on/off switch, and then to the device being powered. As such they have been used to brighten headlights on the older Birds by reducing long wiring runs. On my drag car, I used a Bosch relay to reduce the power run from the battery to the electric fuel pump to about one foot of wiring, and then using a dash switch to energize the Bosch relay. The short run provided better power to the fuel pump, thereby eliminating a fuel flow problem that had developed under heavy load.

Hope this helps. I'll double check this with electrical guru Bill Schreurs tomorrow when I see him, since he stopped by my little town tonight.

San Antonio, TX

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "chaaur2" wrote:

>

>
> --- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "mbulriss" <mbulriss@> wrote:

> >

> > Charlie,

> >

> > I'm not clear if you are asking about wire runs to reach a gen start switch, or wiring connections at the start switch to make it work?

> >

> > Assuming (danger, I know) that you are talking wiring runs, and that your Xantrex is in the rear bay on the passenger side right above the battery bank, like on my 91, wouldn't it be easier to run the wire to the gen start switch in the bedroom rather than to the front overhead? On my 91, the rear gen start switch is almost directly above the Inverter/Charger. That would be the shortest wiring run.

> >

> > Close?

> >

> > Mike Bulriss

> > San Antonio, TX

> >

> > --- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "chaaur2" wrote:

> > >

> > > I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 Inverter/Charger installed in my 93 WB, I am attempting to install the auto start for the generator using the remote start switch that is located in the overhead. Any help with the wiring would be appreciated.

> > >

> > > Thanks

> > > Charlie

> > > St. Albans, WV

> > > 93 WB

> > >

> >

>

11-17-2012, 07:34
Joe,
I agree no need for the relays if the control panel is close to the gen start switch. I interpreted the original post to mean the Xantrex auto start panel was closer to the inverter. Of course another question is how does the auto start panel get feedback that the genset actually started?
Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40
San Antonio, TX
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 17, 2012, at 8:24 AM, Joe Garner <"jgarner@dslextreme.com"> wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Im not really familar with the 93's and where the genny switches are, or your intended uses for the auto start. Some help with that would be nice ;}

Looking at the Xantrex AGS install manual it seems that the AGS relays are rated at 5a so you may not need a pilot relay. I suspect that the switches drive pilot relays in the genny control box, but am not sure. You could check by hooking a amp meter and checking the current required to start and stop the gen.

Since the AGS is wired to the can bus its easy to put that near a genny switch. Not sure where the inverter control panel is, if its near a gen switch the AGS could go nearby and make wiring easier.

The manual has quite a few wiring diagrams for reference, are you looking at any one in particular?

HTH, Joe

Charlie,

Since no one has responded, I'll give it a shot. After looking it up, I see that your Xantrex auto start box has wiring conncetions for the start, stop and preheat functions, among others. My guess is you are going to need Bosch relays that these three wires will feed in the overhead and then splice the output side of the Bosch relay into the appropriate wires coming off the backside of the genset switch for each function. I have not looked at the back side of that switch, but I note that the front stop side also powers the preheat function, so you may only need two Bosch relays and trigger one with both the preheat and stop wires.

If you are not familiar with Bosch relays, there are plenty of diagrams on the net showing how they work. Basically they have power in/power out, and you will use the wiring inputs from the Xantrex to trigger the power to the circuit you need energized (e.g. the wires coming off the genset switch for each of the 3 functions, since you are trying to use the existing switch wiring).

The Bosch relays are commonly used to provide a shorter power path to electronics rather than enduring a significant lose of current by having a long run from the battery to an on/off switch, and then to the device being powered. As such they have been used to brighten headlights on the older Birds by reducing long wiring runs. On my drag car, I used a Bosch relay to reduce the power run from the battery to the electric fuel pump to about one foot of wiring, and then using a dash switch to energize the Bosch relay. The short run provided better power to the fuel pump, thereby eliminating a fuel flow problem that had developed under heavy load.

Hope this helps. I'll double check this with electrical guru Bill Schreurs tomorrow when I see him, since he stopped by my little town tonight.

San Antonio, TX

>

>

> >

> > Charlie,

> >

> > I'm not clear if you are asking about wire runs to reach a gen start switch, or wiring connections at the start switch to make it work?

> >

> > Assuming (danger, I know) that you are talking wiring runs, and that your Xantrex is in the rear bay on the passenger side right above the battery bank, like on my 91, wouldn't it be easier to run the wire to the gen start switch in the bedroom rather than to the front overhead? On my 91, the rear gen start switch is almost directly above the Inverter/Charger. That would be the shortest wiring run.

> >

> > Close?

> >

> > Mike Bulriss

> > San Antonio, TX

> >

> > >

> > > I have a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 Inverter/Charger installed in my 93 WB, I am attempting to install the auto start for the generator using the remote start switch that is located in the overhead. Any help with the wiring would be appreciated.

> > >

> > > Thanks

> > > Charlie

> > > St. Albans, WV

> > > 93 WB

> > >

> >

>

11-17-2012, 07:45
There is an input to the AGS for gen run.  That thing looks pretty nifty ;}

Has temp inputs so you can start the genny to run the air conditioner if it get too hot, to run the gen set every so often to keep it warm, not run it during 'quiet time'... Lots of options.

I think it should be located near the Xantrex control panel, not sure where that is on a '93 though...  I dont think distance is an issue, on my '87 the gen start switch in the bedroom is just about as far away from the genny as you can get!  Thats one reason that leads me to believe there are pilot relays in the gen control box...

Did you get the manual for the AGS?   I think this is what he has...
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/accesso...-FINAL.pdf

Maybe Charlie can let us know?

HTH, Joe

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Michael Bulriss <"mbulriss@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Joe, 
I agree no need for the relays if the control panel is close to the gen start switch. I interpreted the original post to mean the Xantrex auto start panel was closer to the inverter.  Of course another question is how does the auto start panel get feedback that the genset actually started?
Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40 
San Antonio, TX
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 17, 2012, at 8:24 AM, Joe Garner <"jgarner@dslextreme.com"> wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Im not really familar with the 93's and where the genny switches are, or your intended uses for the auto start.  Some help with that would be nice ;}

Looking at the Xantrex AGS install manual it seems that the AGS relays are rated at 5a so you may not need a pilot relay.  I suspect that the switches drive pilot relays in the genny control box, but am not sure.  You could check by hooking a amp meter and checking the current required to start and stop the gen.

Since the AGS is wired to the can bus its easy to put that near a genny switch.  Not sure where the inverter control panel is, if its near a gen switch the AGS could go nearby and make wiring easier.

HTH, Joe

Charlie,

San Antonio, TX

>

>

> >

> > Charlie,

> >

> >

> >

> > Close?

> >

> > Mike Bulriss

> > San Antonio, TX

> >

> > >

> > >

> > > Thanks

> > > Charlie

> > > St. Albans, WV

> > > 93 WB

> > >

> >

>

11-18-2012, 03:23
Joe:
Thanks for helping out.
Not looking at all of the diagrams etc. it is good to know that there is a neat setup to ensure the gen. is running properly before switchover.
Again, I believe you would not need relays etc, that should be in the control box already, just hook it up to the start and stop.
Is the rest of the hookup internal, it should be it Xantrex made it.

Bill
1988 40WB XXV "Anniversary Special Edition"
Kitimat, B.C. Canada eh

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)