Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bird of the Week on vacation
06-23-2012, 08:15
A Bird of the Week on vacation
In response to my recent request for new Bird of the Week photos, this week's BoW is currently on vacation on a southeastern states swing.

Since my knowledge of Birmingham, AL was pretty much limited to the fact that it was nearby Talladega (!), I did not get the significance of the picture of the Vulcan Statue, so I did a quick search for more information on what and why. This is the explanation from Wikipedia:

The Vulcan statue is the largest cast iron statue in the world, and is the city symbol of Birmingham, Alabama, reflecting its roots in the iron and steel industry. The 56-foot (17m) tall statue depicts the Roman godVulcan, god of the fire and forge. It was created as Birmingham's entry for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 World's Fair) in St. Louis, Missouri. It is the seventh-tallest free-standing statue in the United States.
Next week, more travel pictures. Send in pictures of your recent interesting campgrounds or parking spots for the rest of us to learn about other places we didn't know about.

Thanks,

Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan"
San Antonio, TX

Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)