Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window Shades
11-28-2010, 04:41
Window Shades
I passed through Wasilla, Ak in July of 2008. It is beautiful country there. I took my RV up through British Columbia through the Yukon Territory and on to Fairbanks where I was delayed for 9 days getting radiator damage repaired. If you plan to visit Hershey Park and travel in your RV. A word of warning if you drive down through British Columbia beware of the frost dips and loose gravel. I had lots of damage from the frost dips to both my RV and the Jeep that I was towing and I met
other people who were coming down as I was going up and they had damage. So get a good rock deflecting system between your Toad and your RV and don't drive over 40 mph and watch for those frost dips.

I took
the ferry from Haines, Ak to Skagway, Ak and then drove up through the Tok, Ak cutoff and it was where my Hydraulic cooler heat exchanger was damaged by forces on the hydraulic hoses when bouncing in those frost dips and also that road was under construction in many places along the way. BC was a welcome sight if you can believe that. So be sure to talk to people on this forum about road conditions and how to protect your RV before you venture out through Canada. Its a beautiful province and well worth the time but be prepared.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 11/27/10, Donald Spithaler wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Window Shades
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 10:58 PM

Hi Linda & Micheal I don't know any of the people you mentioned. Did you live in this area or just your family? If you go to Hershey in Oct. are you stopping in this part of the state? Is that the rally that Shane has the first of Oct. Wasilla must be a nice place to live. I've never been to AK before I know it is a long trip from here. I know some of the people on this forum were planing no going up there this next summer. I don't know if that is still on yet or not.

Don & Linda
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA dspithaler@...

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Linda <lmdjuno@...> wrote:

Don,

We just purchased our Bird in January, so haven't had a chance to travel much yet. Don't need shades. Just wonder if you knew my grandma Blanche Porterfield, Chiropractor, or my Aunt Lucille Walker secretary at Knock, or cousin Dick Walker, school counceler? We are hoping to go to Hershey next October.

Michael and Linda Delaney

Midnight Sun Bird

87FC35

Wasilla, Alaska

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Donald Spithaler wrote:

>

> Levolor makes them. I have some of them in mine

> Don Spithaler

> 89 SP 36'

> Butler, PA

>

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Randall wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > Does anyone know where to buy day/night shades other than Camping World?

> > Has anyone replaced their day/night shades with other types of shades?

> > Trying to get some ideas and places to buy.

> >

> > Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

> >

> > Randy Merrill

> > 2003 40" LX

> > Ocala, FL

> >

> >

> >

>

Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2010, 10:59
Window Shades
Thanks for the Words of Warning. We purchased our Bird in California in January and have it in storage there. We think that we'll leave it in the "Lower 48", and travel from there.Yes, we have been told that if we bring it to Alaska, that may be it'slast trip. We'd like to have it in our shop here to work on, but don't think it'd be worth driving it here.We have lived between Juneau and Wasilla and driven that highway between Haines and Skagway and Wasilla many times. The frost heaves are bad even on a car or pickup or U-Haul or SOB (Winnebego, Pace Arrow). Last December we drove our SUVfrom Fort McMurray, Alberta, after Michael finished a job there,to Wasilla. We did not driveto Southeastthis last summer, but people say that part of the highway was sooo bad.

Midnight Sun Bird
87FC35
Wasilla, Alaska

--- On Sun, 11/28/10, Ron Thompson wrote:

Date: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 7:41 AM

I passed through Wasilla, Ak in July of 2008. It is beautiful country there. I took my RV up through British Columbia through the Yukon Territory and on to Fairbanks where I was delayed for 9 days getting radiator damage repaired. If you plan to visit Hershey Park and travel in your RV. A word of warning if you drive down through British Columbia beware of the frost dips and loose gravel. I had lots of damage from the frost dips to both my RV and the Jeep that I was towing and I met other people who were coming down as I was going up and they had damage. So get a good rock deflecting system between your Toad and your RV and don't drive over 40 mph and watch for those frost dips.

I took the ferry from Haines, Ak to Skagway, Ak and then drove up through the Tok, Ak cutoff
and it was where my Hydraulic cooler heat exchanger was damaged by forces on the hydraulic hoses when bouncing in those frost dips and also that road was under construction in many places along the way. BC was a welcome sight if you can believe that. So be sure to talk to people on this forum about road conditions and how to protect your RV before you venture out through Canada. Its a beautiful province and well worth the time but be prepared.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 11/27/10, Donald Spithaler wrote:

Date: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 10:58 PM

Hi Linda & Micheal I don't know any of the people you mentioned. Did you live in this area or just your family? If you go to Hershey in Oct. are you stopping in this part of the state? Is that the rally that Shane has the first of Oct. Wasilla must be a nice place to live. I've never been to AK before I know it is a long trip from here. I know some of the people on this forum were planing no going up there this next summer. I don't know if that is still on yet or not.
Don & Linda
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA dspithaler@...

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Linda <lmdjuno@...> wrote:

Don,
We just purchased our Bird in January, so haven't had a chance to travel much yet. Don't need shades. Just wonder if you knew my grandma Blanche Porterfield, Chiropractor, or my Aunt Lucille Walker secretary at Knock, or cousin Dick Walker, school counceler? We are hoping to go to Hershey next October.
Midnight Sun Bird
87FC35
Wasilla, Alaska

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Donald Spithaler wrote:
>
> Levolor makes them. I have some of them in mine
> Don Spithaler
> 89 SP 36'
> Butler, PA
>
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Randall wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Does anyone know where to buy day/night shades other than Camping World?
> > Has anyone replaced their day/night shades with other types of shades?
> > Trying to get some ideas and places to buy.
> >
> > Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.
> >
> > Randy Merrill
> > 2003 40" LX
> > Ocala, FL
> >
> >
> >
>

Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)