Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WONDERSOUND System
05-12-2010, 04:49
WONDERSOUND System

WonderSound
system replacement in an '87 PT38….What have you replaced it with? Tips?  

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2010, 15:36
WONDERSOUND System
> WonderSound system replacement in an '87 PT38….What have you replaced it
> with? Tips?
>
> Curt Sprenger

I've been in autosound all my life, and used to have a two-store, specialty car audio retail business for 14 years. I've done hundreds of systems in every type of vehicle imaginable, and I found that when I was trying to achieve good sound and imaging (called "proper soundstage") in extra-wide vehicles like hummers and motorcoaches, only a dual-stereo type of speaker system was able to sound terrific. That's because with the stock system, you're sitting way too close to one speaker, and way too far from the other. So you put two small speakers in the center of the dash, in addition to the stock locations of far left and right, and end up with two, narrower soundstages in which the pilot and co-pilot each sit in pretty much the center of. In addition to ideal imaging, there's the added advantage of individual volume levels, for in the case of (the most common scenario), the pilot wants to listen intently, while the co-pilot doesn't, and just wants to read or wander around the coach, etc. It takes up a little room on the center of the dash, but it sounds so much better, it's worth it. I did this in my coach (details on my photo page. link-below in my signature), and in Mike Putz's FC, as well. It's worth the extra work. I'd be glad to answer any questions on how to do it. We put small subwoofers in (http://www.subsolutions.com)(disclaimer: that's my company) behind the drivers' seat and up in the over head storage. Then you just need a small, 4 channel amplifier (~$100) to make it sound good and distortion free.
Fred Bellows
90SP
Phx, AZ
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)