Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windshield replacement
11-23-2009, 10:58
Windshield replacement
Glass is covered under most vehicle policies as "comprehensive" -- it does not count against you as a collision. In normal circumstances, it won't affect your rates. For example, one year I had 3 broken windshields on my automobile -- truly bad luck -- and there was no common pattern -- rock from truck on freeway, rock tossed out of a water-filled (it was raining) pot hole by an oncoming automobile, bolt that fell from a construction site and bounced into my car... With the third incident within 12 months, I did get a call from the insurance adjuster (to determine if there was something that put my car at unusual risk) but after the conversation, they just chalked it up to "random chance."
It's interesting to note that I've now had 4 or 5 cars (between my wife and self) since that bad year, 25 years ago, with nary a significant chip in any glass.
Last year, I did get a chip in the windshield on my coach -- but it was repaired and it's quite difficult to even find it, now. So, smaller (and even some moderate size) cracks are often easily fixed. If you decide to try a do it yourself repair, keep in mind that the kits tend to work best with the sharply raked windshield on an auto. The near-vertical bus glass makes it hard to let gravity help, as some of the kits require. (Read the instructions carefully and look at the included tools.
Again, the commercial glass shops usually have professional repair machines that don't have the limitations of the auto-store kits -- fixing a crack is much less expensive than replacing the glass -- and insurance companies will pay the charge and, if paying for a repair, many will even waive any deductible.
Pete Masterson
(former) '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Nov 23, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Bluebird Bob wrote:

I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help others in the future.
I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes, sometimes rocks fall of the gravel hauler and sometimes it comes up from the road, either way, here is what you do, if possible. Even if it isn't a gravel truck, do the same.
If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may or may not answer. If they do answer (in a polite way) ask if he would pull over and offer his insurance info. Most likely the answer will be NO. DOT regs says he has to post certain info on the truck, they actually say it is located on the door, but truckers put this everywhere on the truck. Look for TXDOT (or USDOT if out of state) numbers and they will be on the truck. The name of the trucking company and city should be posted. Get any or all tag numbers. On big trucks (Semi Trailers) the truck (Tractor) tag is only on the front, but you should be able to get the trailer tag number. Get ALL this info and also make note of the date and time, and exactly where it happened, hwy#, mile post#, exit#, or the mileage to the next city. The hard part is going to be "getting" the info off the truck. If he is "hauling ass", you may not be able to get beside him. But safely try to get this info.
You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number and it will provide you the name, address, and their insurance company. The insurance company info is what you want. You call them and file a claim and most likely they will pay for your damage. If you have the date/time, where's, how's, and truck info, they won't argue with you much, just pay.
I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get the insurance to pay.
Glenn

I tried this when a gravel truck dropped gravel and cracked my new car's windshield.
Got the name of the company,called them and was told "That's your insurance company's problem. It falls under "Road Hazard" and a normal part of driving.
Paid for the windshield myself instead of filing a claim.

Bob Lawrence
84 PT36
Skidaway Island State Park, Ga.

Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2009, 02:32
Windshield replacement
Jack and Pete, you are both right. As an old adjuster I can tell you that after
much time & frustration, one of the truck's insurers will eventually cave, but,
you will really have to pressure them. It's much easier to go with your own
insurer. Assuming that you have the coverage. Good luck.

2000 LXI in San Antonio

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "Bluebird Bob"
wrote:
>
>
> > I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help
others in the future.
> >
> > I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes,
sometimes rocks fall of the gravel hauler and sometimes it comes up from the
road, either way, here is what you do, if possible. Even if it isn't a gravel
truck, do the same.
> >
> > If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may
or may not answer. If they do answer (in a polite way) ask if he would pull over
and offer his insurance info. Most likely the answer will be NO. DOT regs says
he has to post certain info on the truck, they actually say it is located on the
door, but truckers put this everywhere on the truck. Look for TXDOT (or USDOT if
out of state) numbers and they will be on the truck. The name of the trucking
company and city should be posted. Get any or all tag numbers. On big trucks
(Semi Trailers) the truck (Tractor) tag is only on the front, but you should be
able to get the trailer tag number. Get ALL this info and also make note of the
date and time, and exactly where it happened, hwy#, mile post#, exit#, or the
mileage to the next city. The hard part is going to be "getting" the info off
the truck. If he is "hauling ass", you may not be able to get beside him. But
safely try to get this info.
> >
> > You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number
and it will provide you the name, address, and their insurance company. The
insurance company info is what you want. You call them and file a claim and most
likely they will pay for your damage. If you have the date/time, where's, how's,
and truck info, they won't argue with you much, just pay.
> >
> > I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get
the insurance to pay.
> >
> > Glenn
>
>
> I tried this when a gravel truck dropped gravel and cracked my new car's
windshield.
> Got the name of the company,called them and was told "That's your insurance
company's problem. It falls under "Road Hazard" and a normal part of driving.
> Paid for the windshield myself instead of filing a claim.
>
> Bob Lawrence
> 84 PT36
> Skidaway Island State Park, Ga.
>
11-24-2009, 07:05
Windshield replacement
Yes, I am also a property adjuster and know their insurance will pay for your
windshield.

Yes, if you talk with the truck driver or the company, they will say it isn't
their fault. Did you think they would willing pay you hundreds of dollars for
something they can BS their way out of? If you get the name of the insurance
company and file a claim with the insurance company, you will get paid.

Yes, you can also file on your company, and sometimes at no cost to you in a
rate increase. Some insurance companies have company policies that cancel you
after so many claims, no matter what the claim. Why take a chance if you can get
the other guy's insurance information.

Just some helpful tips for the "next" time.

Glenn

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "jackdanielsnb@..."
wrote:
>
> I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help
others in the future.
>
> I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes,
truck, do the same.
>
> If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may
or may not answer. If they do answer (in a polite way) ask if he would pull over
he has to post certain info on the truck, they actually say it is located on the
door, but truckers put this everywhere on the truck. Look for TXDOT (or USDOT if
>
> You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number
insurance company info is what you want. You call them and file a claim and most
likely they will pay for your damage. If you have the date/time, where's, how's,
>
> I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get
the insurance to pay.
>
> Glenn
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "mrkane1952" <mrkane@> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Lost the right windshield ('87 PT40) to a rock hauler in Waco. Anyone have
a suggested supplier and installer in the DFW area?
> >
> > Thanks--
> >
> > M. R. Kane
> > 1987 PT40
> > currently Terrell, TX
> >
> > PS: The search function is not working for me. The form does not recognize
search term entry?
> >
>
11-24-2009, 07:10
Windshield replacement
I just had an email from my insurance agent and they said they would take care of it when I get back to Texas where it will be more convenient.
Ernie- New River, Az

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, jackdanielsnb@... wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Windshield replacement
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 1:05 PM

Yes, I am also a property adjuster and know their insurance will pay for your windshield.

Yes, if you talk with the truck driver or the company, they will say it isn't their fault. Did you think they would willing pay you hundreds of dollars for something they can BS their way out of? If you get the name of the insurance company and file a claim with the insurance company, you will get paid.

Yes, you can also file on your company, and sometimes at no cost to you in a rate increase. Some insurance companies have company policies that cancel you after so many claims, no matter what the claim. Why take a chance if you can get the other guy's insurance information.

Glenn

--- In WanderlodgeForum@
yahoogroups. com
, "jackdanielsnb@ ..." wrote:
>
> I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help others in the future.
>
> I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes, sometimes rocks fall of the gravel hauler and sometimes it comes up from the road, either way, here is what you do, if possible. Even if it isn't a gravel truck, do the same.
>
> If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may or may not answer. If they do answer (in a polite way) ask if he would pull over and offer his insurance info. Most likely the answer will be NO. DOT regs says he has to post certain info on the truck, they actually say it is located on the door, but truckers put this everywhere on the truck. Look for TXDOT (or USDOT if out of state) numbers and they will be on the truck. The name of the trucking company and city
should be posted. Get any or all tag numbers. On big trucks (Semi Trailers) the truck (Tractor) tag is only on the front, but you should be able to get the trailer tag number. Get ALL this info and also make note of the date and time, and exactly where it happened, hwy#, mile post#, exit#, or the mileage to the next city. The hard part is going to be "getting" the info off the truck. If he is "hauling ass", you may not be able to get beside him. But safely try to get this info.
>
> You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number and it will provide you the name, address, and their insurance company. The insurance company info is what you want. You call them and file a claim and most likely they will pay for your damage. If you have the date/time, where's, how's, and truck info, they won't argue with you much, just pay.
>
> I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get
the insurance to pay.
>
> Glenn
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, "mrkane1952" <mrkane@> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Lost the right windshield ('87 PT40) to a rock hauler in Waco. Anyone have a suggested supplier and installer in the DFW area?
> >
> > Thanks--
> >
> > M. R. Kane
> > 1987 PT40
> > currently Terrell, TX
> >
> > PS: The search function is not working for me. The form does not recognize search term entry?
> >
>

11-24-2009, 12:40
Windshield replacement
In California it is a misdemeanor to have a show load ( dump material visible in
payload smaller than 24" X 24") blow load (dust coming out of truck bed)or to
drop anything on the freeway other than chicken feathers and water. First fine
is $280. then $1,600.00. (I'm told).
Load covers are required in some counties and even some cities of counties that
do not require a load cover require them to be used in their city.

I think the fault is with the person who got the broken window for driving too
close to a truck or bus. I would bet most of the stones that get thrown are
from tires. while driving on gravel roads stones get set in the tread and
dislodge on the freeway. many get tossed to the mud flaps then bounce only to
get retossed by the next truck or bus.

If you think motorhomes are innocent look at the lengths folks go thru to keep
their toad protected from the toss of a motorhome and think of how many more
gravel roads a motorhome travels vs a big rig. I think there is proof that they
cause damage in view of these measures

He who lives in 45,000 lb-Housecar should not throw stones. Give a trucker a
break.

Greg
94ptca

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "jackdanielsnb@..."
wrote:
>
>
>
> Yes, I am also a property adjuster and know their insurance will pay for your
windshield.
>
> Yes, if you talk with the truck driver or the company, they will say it isn't
their fault. Did you think they would willing pay you hundreds of dollars for
something they can BS their way out of? If you get the name of the insurance
company and file a claim with the insurance company, you will get paid.
>
> Yes, you can also file on your company, and sometimes at no cost to you in a
rate increase. Some insurance companies have company policies that cancel you
after so many claims, no matter what the claim. Why take a chance if you can get
the other guy's insurance information.
>
> Just some helpful tips for the "next" time.
>
> Glenn
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "jackdanielsnb@"
wrote:
> >
> > I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help
others in the future.
> >
> > I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes,
truck, do the same.
> >
> > If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may
> >
> > You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number
> >
> > I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get
the insurance to pay.
> >
> > Glenn
> >
> > --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "mrkane1952" <mrkane@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > Lost the right windshield ('87 PT40) to a rock hauler in Waco. Anyone
have a suggested supplier and installer in the DFW area?
> > >
> > > Thanks--
> > >
> > > M. R. Kane
> > > 1987 PT40
> > > currently Terrell, TX
> > >
> > > PS: The search function is not working for me. The form does not
recognize search term entry?
> > >
> >
>
11-24-2009, 15:08
Windshield replacement
Greg,
You're right -- California has rules requiring loads, especially those that might lose materials, to be covered. Yet, there is still debris that comes off trucks at times, even in California. You can get in trouble over chicken feathers, if there's no chickens on board -- I had a friend, some years ago, who drove truck loads of wet chicken feathers from a poultry processing plant to the dump -- and he once had a tie-down come lose -- leaving a trail of feathers for 20+ miles. The CHP was not amused.
Still, even the most careful driving can still 'get you.' Even with adequate following distances, a rock tossed up by a tire or falling from a truck can take a bad bounce and still have plenty of energy to crack a window even from quite a distance. Once, I overtook an empty flatbed tractor-trailer on a 2-lane highway -- it had apparently previously hauled a muddy harvester (not unusual in the rice growing area I was traversing) and chunks of dried mud and small rocks were shaking free and flying off the back of that trailer. Even though I followed from a considerable distance back (once I realized that junk was coming off the trailer), I still got a couple of small chips in my glass -- they'd come off the trailer, hit the pavement (just right) then fly very high into the air -- some would bounce up to damaging height 2 or 3 times.
Interesting comment about the toad. I never bothered to do anything special to protect my toad -- and in 3 years, never picked up any new dings or glass chips that I could tell. (The toad was already more than a dozen years old when I started towing it.) It did get thoroughly covered in diesel-dirt, but other than the difficulty in washing that off, it wasn't damaging.
Pete Masterson
(former) '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:40 PM, gregory O wrote:

In California it is a misdemeanor to have a show load ( dump material visible in payload smaller than 24" X 24") blow load (dust coming out of truck bed)or to drop anything on the freeway other than chicken feathers and water. First fine is $280. then $1,600.00. (I'm told).
Load covers are required in some counties and even some cities of counties that do not require a load cover require them to be used in their city.

I think the fault is with the person who got the broken window for driving too close to a truck or bus. I would bet most of the stones that get thrown are from tires. while driving on gravel roads stones get set in the tread and dislodge on the freeway. many get tossed to the mud flaps then bounce only to get retossed by the next truck or bus.

If you think motorhomes are innocent look at the lengths folks go thru to keep their toad protected from the toss of a motorhome and think of how many more gravel roads a motorhome travels vs a big rig. I think there is proof that they cause damage in view of these measures

He who lives in 45,000 lb-Housecar should not throw stones. Give a trucker a break.

Greg
94ptca

--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "jackdanielsnb@..." wrote:
Yes, I am also a property adjuster and know their insurance will pay for your windshield.
Yes, if you talk with the truck driver or the company, they will say it isn't their fault. Did you think they would willing pay you hundreds of dollars for something they can BS their way out of? If you get the name of the insurance company and file a claim with the insurance company, you will get paid.
Yes, you can also file on your company, and sometimes at no cost to you in a rate increase. Some insurance companies have company policies that cancel you after so many claims, no matter what the claim. Why take a chance if you can get the other guy's insurance information.
Glenn
--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "jackdanielsnb@" wrote:
I can't help on finding a replacement, but have other info that may help others in the future.
I own a bird, I drive a big truck, and yes, it is a gravel truck. Yes, sometimes rocks fall of the gravel hauler and sometimes it comes up from the road, either way, here is what you do, if possible. Even if it isn't a gravel truck, do the same.
If you run with a cb, then tell them on the radio about the incident. He may or may not answer. If they do answer (in a polite way) ask if he would pull over and offer his insurance info. Most likely the answer will be NO. DOT regs says he has to post certain info on the truck, they actually say it is located on the door, but truckers put this everywhere on the truck. Look for TXDOT (or USDOT if out of state) numbers and they will be on the truck. The name of the trucking company and city should be posted. Get any or all tag numbers. On big trucks (Semi Trailers) the truck (Tractor) tag is only on the front, but you should be able to get the trailer tag number. Get ALL this info and also make note of the date and time, and exactly where it happened, hwy#, mile post#, exit#, or the mileage to the next city. The hard part is going to be "getting" the info off the truck. If he is "hauling ass", you may not be able to get beside him. But safely try to get this info.
You can go online (I don't have the link handy) and look up the TXDOT number and it will provide you the name, address, and their insurance company. The insurance company info is what you want. You call them and file a claim and most likely they will pay for your damage. If you have the date/time, where's, how's, and truck info, they won't argue with you much, just pay.
I know this didn't replace your windshield, but maybe next time you can get the insurance to pay.
Glenn
--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "mrkane1952" <mrkane@> wrote:
Greetings:
Lost the right windshield ('87 PT40) to a rock hauler in Waco. Anyone have a suggested supplier and installer in the DFW area?
Thanks--
M. R. Kane
1987 PT40
currently Terrell, TX
PS: The search function is not working for me. The form does not recognize search term entry?

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WanderlodgeForum/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WanderlodgeForum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
"WanderlodgeForum-digest@yahoogroups.com"
"WanderlodgeForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com"

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
"WanderlodgeForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com"

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)