Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the invite
11-02-2009, 04:58
Thanks for the invite
Hi ya,
My name is Ron and my wife is Maryann.
Thank you for the invite to your forum. I do not yet own a B<>B but I am in the process of looking into info. about them..... and also I am looking into the Carriage 5th. wheel & truck combo.
I have discovered through the years that if you want information about a product DO NOT GO TO A SALESMAN, but rather go to the experts (the owner/ operators). These, and only these people are the real experts.
I appreciate your hospitality and your invite into your experiences so that I may have a real time comparison of products.
Thanks again.
Ron

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2009, 06:28
Thanks for the invite
Ron,

Speaking as someone who owns both a 5th wheel camper (2001 Terry single slide) and a Wanderlodge (1977 FC 35), here is my perspective on the most important difference:

My 5th wheel is roomier at the destination than my Wanderlodge, though this might not be true for all 5th wheels and all Wanderlodges.  So if we're just going to the core of engineers park at the lake (10 miles from home) then the 5th wheel might be a better choice, since we won't spend any time on the road at all.

All the room in the 5th wheel is useless, however, when travelling.

We went to AZ and back from GA last Xmas in the Bird, and it would have been awful riding in the truck pulling the 5th wheel with a back seat full of complaining kids the whole way, but it was a pleasure in the bird.

So, short distance trips = maybe 5th wheel better, long distance trips = Bird definitely better Smile

Regards,

Dorn Hetzel
77FC35
Hogansville, GA

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Ron Schofield <"merchantman7777@yahoo.ca"> wrote:

Hi ya,
 Thank you for the invite to your forum. I do not yet own a B<>B but I am in the process of looking into info. about them..... and also I am looking into the Carriage 5th. wheel & truck combo.
  I have discovered through the years that if you want information about a product DO NOT GO TO A SALESMAN, but rather go to the experts (the owner/ operators). These, and only these people are the real experts.
  I appreciate your hospitality and your invite into your experiences so that I may have a real time comparison of products.
 Thanks again.
 Ron

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA
11-02-2009, 08:08
Thanks for the invite
Ron, welcome to our forum. If you have questions, ask away. Good luck in whatever vehicle you choose.
Ernie- Rancho Oso, Santa Barbara, Ca

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Ron Schofield <merchantman7777@...> wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Thanks for the invite
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 10:58 AM

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

11-02-2009, 11:14
Thanks for the invite
What a great and enviableperspective! I can really see your point.....and I imagine that the construction of the Bird is more able to take the road bumps, potholes, etc. better than the Carriage. It sounds like I had better clearly determine how much travelling I intend to do . Thanks Dorn.
Ron & Maryann
The most beautiful place on earth (Van. Isl.)

Sent: Mon, November 2, 2009 10:28:01 AM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Thanks for the invite

Ron,

Speaking as someone who owns both a 5th wheel camper (2001 Terry single slide) and a Wanderlodge (1977 FC 35), here is my perspective on the most important difference:

My 5th wheel is roomier at the destination than my Wanderlodge, though this might not be true for all 5th wheels and all Wanderlodges. So if we're just going to the core of engineers park at the lake (10 miles from home) then the 5th wheel might be a better choice, since we won't spend any time on the road at all.

All the room in the 5th wheel is useless, however, when travelling.

We went to AZ and back from GA last Xmas in the Bird, and it would have been awful riding in the truck pulling the 5th wheel with a back seat full of complaining kids the whole way, but it was a pleasure in the bird.

So, short distance trips = maybe 5th wheel better, long distance trips = Bird definitely better Smile

Regards,

Dorn
Hetzel
77FC35
Hogansville, GA

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Ron Schofield <"merchantman7777@yahoo.ca"> wrote:

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

İmageYahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

11-02-2009, 11:32
Thanks for the invite
Thanks for the welcome.
I know that my first question is .......Excluding the new Birds, I understand that some improvements were made in the late 80's??...is there a good year range that I should consider? I know that I want diesel, and I know that I want a pusher. I have much to learn so I don't want to form a wrong opinion about any year.
Thanks
Ron& Maryann

Sent: Mon, November 2, 2009 12:08:38 PM

Ron, welcome to our forum. If you have questions, ask away. Good luck in whatever vehicle you choose.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Ron Schofield <merchantman7777@ yahoo.ca> wrote:

To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.
11-02-2009, 12:26
Thanks for the invite
If you go to this site and click on the history link you can find changes across the model years:

http://vintagebirds.com/

Markus

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:32:16 -0800

Thanks for the welcome.
I know that my first question is .......Excluding the new Birds, I understand that some improvements were made in the late 80's??...is there a good year range that I should consider? I know that I want diesel, and I know that I want a pusher. I have much to learn so I don't want to form a wrong opinion about any year.
Thanks
Ron& Maryann

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers.

New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
11-02-2009, 12:48
Thanks for the invite
The list of model year changes on Vintage Birds is very helpful.
A couple of key considerations:
Air suspension was available in 1980.
Wide Body pushers introduced in 1989.
FCs phased out within the next year or two.
42/43' pushers with DD Series 60 introduced in 1995.
When I was first considering what I might want I used these guideposts to narrow down my decision making. At first blush, I decided I wanted air suspension (so that eliminated pre 1980 units).
Eventually, I narrowed my consideration to wide body pushers -- and
finally, the desirability of the DD S-60 over the 8v92 pushed my choice to a particular '95 ... but I'd have still gone with a '93 or '94 had I found one aggressively priced when I was looking.
Your evaluation may be different than mine -- but I give it to explain one way to narrow down the choices.
So, think about "must have" (or "must _not_ have") features:
FC or Pusher?
Wide body a must?
Air suspension?
Are there any other "must haves" -- e.g. AquaHot/Webasto heat? Mid entry door? etc.
Consider too the engines.
Those with the Cat 3208 tend to be a little underpowered (some would say). Turbo units are better, but power increases usually accompanied weight increases so the relative power-weight didn't change much.
8v92 and S-60 generally have sufficient power, so that's not much of an issue for the pushers...
Realize too, that some features are only a consideration if you have particular needs. If you plan to spend a lot of time boondocking (off the grid) then an all-electric coach or one with a home-type refrigerator may not be the ideal choice. But if boondocking is _not- important, then it's a neutral factor.
And so on...
Pete Masterson
(former) '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Nov 2, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Markus Meyer wrote:

If you go to this site and click on the history link you can find changes across the model years:

http://vintagebirds.com/

Markus

To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:32:16 -0800

Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks
Ron& Maryann

To:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent:Mon, November 2, 2009 12:08:38 PM
Subject:Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Thanks for the invite

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- OnMon, 11/2/09, Ron Schofield<merchantman7777@ yahoo.ca>wrote:

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

Instant message from any web browser! Try the newYahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people.Go to Yahoo! Answers.

New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you.Learn more.

11-02-2009, 14:26
Thanks for the invite

Ernie,
Why are the last 3 or 4 words from your posts repeated on the next line? I've noticed it on a few others as well but not all.
Dick Hayden - '87 PT 38 - Lake Stevens, WA - in Q tonight then Imperial LTVA tomorrow
----- Original Message -----
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 12:08 PM

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Ron Schofield <merchantman7777@<WBR>yahoo.ca> wrote:

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

11-02-2009, 14:32
Thanks for the invite
Dick, I add my new location, since it changes about every ten days.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Joyce and Richard Hayden wrote:

Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 8:26 PM

Ernie,
Why are the last 3 or 4 words from your posts repeated on the next line? I've noticed it on a few others as well but not all.
Dick Hayden - '87 PT 38 - Lake Stevens, WA - in Q tonight then Imperial LTVA tomorrow
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 12:08 PM

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

11-02-2009, 14:39
Thanks for the invite

Hi,
We have a 1987 PT 38' which I believeis the last model using the All American (schoolie) chassis. It has the light colored interior and a walk-through bath. We are going to offer it for sale soon if you are interested let me know.
Dick Hayden - '87 PT 38 - Lake Stevens, WA - in Quartzite tonight - Imperial LTVA tomorrow (Yuma area)
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 3:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks
Ron& Maryann

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

Hi ya,
Thanks again.
Ron

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)