Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shop air compressor wont put out more than 110 PSI
09-21-2009, 11:06
Call your local welding supply store. They will have a 20 lb. tank, 150 fixed regulator, maybe the hose too. Probable not the inflator. I found my tank at a garage sale, $10 or 15. The weleding store will charge around $100 for the tank, about $20 to fill with CO2. 150 fixed regulator about $30. My 20 lb. tanks last at least two seasons airing up the coach and the off-road tires.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, wl89spman <"egardata@tx.rr.com"> wrote:

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", GARY MINKER wrote:

>

Thanks for all the help.. You have convinced me..I have heard of nitrogen being used but you say CO2.What size tank do I need and where can I buy one and whats the approx cost?

Thanks

Ed Gardels 89SP

Arlington Texas home of COWBOY STADIUM

> Hi CO2 is a wet dirty gas that does not necessarilly do well in tires.  Welding CO2 is nasty.  Food grade CO2 is better but hard to find.  Even shop grade nitrogen is 99.99% pure.  Hospital "zero" grade is even cleaner but who needs it?

>
> --- On Mon, 9/21/09, jackcj7 wrote:

>

> From: jackcj7

> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Shop air compressor wont put out more than 110 PSI

> To: "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com"

> Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 5:59 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

> I gave up on my home compressor.. I have a 20# CO2 tank with a fixed 150PSI regulator..The tank is easy to carry around, and works well. You only need a short hose, since you can take the tank to the tire.

>

> You need a regulator set a bit higher than the desired tire pressure, or else those last few #s take forever. I also have a small 5# tank i take in my Jeep to air up the tires after a days Off-Roadin.. The small tank has lasted me over 2 years...

>

> Jack Smith

>

> 1973FC31

>

> SoCal

>

>

>

> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, "wl89spman" wrote:

>

> >

>

> > My Porter Cable 135PSI 3HP/4GAL wont put out more than 110psi with 50'rubber hose or 30' coiled yellow vinal(I think). It has always been this way since new. No leaks or problems...My new Michlens need 120 psi so now I have to do something. What psi compressor does everybody use?

>

> > Is there a compressor expert here? Does the length and composition of the hose matter? If so what length and material hose do I need for my 135 psi compressor?The output gauge on the compressor reads 130psi but wont pump up tires past 110psi...

>

> > Ant help would be appreciated.

>

> >

>

> > Ed Gardels 89SP

>

> > Arlington Tx

>

> >

>

Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2009, 11:09
Gary,

I've been using CO2 in tires for more than 30 years...so far no problems.

Curt Sprenger

Anaheim Hills, CA

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM, GARY MINKER <"garym33407@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Hi CO2 is a wet dirty gas that does not necessarilly do well in tires.  Welding CO2 is nasty.  Food grade CO2 is better but hard to find.  Even shop grade nitrogen is 99.99% pure.  Hospital "zero" grade is even cleaner but who needs it?

--- On Mon, 9/21/09, jackcj7 <"jaxdon@cox.net"> wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Shop air compressor wont put out more than 110 PSI
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 5:59 PM

I gave up on my home compressor.. I have a 20# CO2 tank with a fixed 150PSI regulator..The tank is easy to carry around, and works well. You only need a short hose, since you can take the tank to the tire.

You need a regulator set a bit higher than the desired tire pressure, or else those last few #s take forever. I also have a small 5# tank i take in my Jeep to air up the tires after a days Off-Roadin.. The small tank has lasted me over 2 years...

Jack Smith

1973FC31

SoCal

--- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, "wl89spman" wrote:

>

> My Porter Cable 135PSI 3HP/4GAL wont put out more than 110psi with 50'rubber hose or 30' coiled yellow vinal(I think). It has always been this way since new. No leaks or problems...My new Michlens need 120 psi so now I have to do something. What psi compressor does everybody use?

> Is there a compressor expert here? Does the length and composition of the hose matter? If so what length and material hose do I need for my 135 psi compressor?The output gauge on the compressor reads 130psi but wont pump up tires past 110psi...

> Ant help would be appreciated.

>

> Ed Gardels 89SP

> Arlington Tx

>

09-21-2009, 11:23
I started out with a cheap compressor much like the one you describe -- it was able to get to 120 psi -- but after a few weeks it failed -- since I bought it at Costco, they took it back with a full credit as defective (under the 1 year warranty).
I then bought a 150 psi (max) Rigid-brand "contractors, 4.5 gal, twin stack" compressor from Home Depot. It has proved to be much more reliable.
The compressor (may have) two pressure dials and a pressure regulator control knob. This allows you to set the maximum output pressure (to the hose) If the regulator is dialed back a little bit, it may not let the compressor reach maximum pressure.
The size/type of output hose should not affect the maximum pressure -- but a smaller hose will reduce the throughput (volume) of air. So filling will take longer and some air-operated tools may not get adequate volume of air at a given pressure. I use a 50' 3/8" hose. It does just fine for my bus tires and the few air operated tools I have, including a 1/2" impact wrench. (I bought one that's more efficient (and expensive) in its required air volume through the tool.)
I have one of those vinyl coiled hoses, it's 1/4" -- I've only used it with my auto tires that only need 32 psi.
When filling the bus tires, it's usually best to let the compressor cycle on to achieve the maximum pressure. Admittedly, the 150 psi rated compressor I use has a little more oomph and has less trouble getting to 120 psi -- but air delivery (volume) is slower at the higher pressure, so it can take several minutes to get the last few pounds of pressure into the tires.
Some compressors (check the manual) have a maximum cycle time limit (say, 25%) if so, be careful to stop and let the compressor rest from time to time so you don't overheat it.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (SOLD!)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Sep 21, 2009, at 1:52 PM, wl89spman wrote:

My Porter Cable 135PSI 3HP/4GAL wont put out more than 110psi with 50'rubber hose or 30' coiled yellow vinal(I think). It has always been this way since new. No leaks or problems...My new Michlens need 120 psi so now I have to do something. What psi compressor does everybody use?
Is there a compressor expert here? Does the length and composition of the hose matter? If so what length and material hose do I need for my 135 psi compressor?The output gauge on the compressor reads 130psi but wont pump up tires past 110psi...
Ant help would be appreciated.

Ed Gardels 89SP
Arlington Tx

09-21-2009, 12:04
Pete, I see in your sig line you sold your coach. Please stay with us even though you are coachless.
Ernie- Twin Peaks, Ca

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Mon, 9/21/09, Pete Masterson wrote:

Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Shop air compressor wont put out more than 110 PSI
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 6:23 PM

I started out with a cheap compressor much like the one you describe -- it was able to get to 120 psi -- but after a few weeks it failed -- since I bought it at Costco, they took it back with a full credit as defective (under the 1 year warranty).
I then bought a 150 psi (max) Rigid-brand "contractors, 4.5 gal, twin stack" compressor from Home Depot. It has proved to be much more reliable.
The compressor (may have) two pressure dials and a pressure regulator control knob. This allows you to set the maximum output pressure (to the hose) If the regulator is dialed back a little bit, it may not let the compressor reach maximum pressure.
The size/type of output hose should not affect the maximum pressure -- but a smaller hose will reduce the throughput (volume) of air. So filling will take longer and some air-operated tools may not get adequate volume of air at a given pressure. I use a 50' 3/8" hose. It does just fine for my bus tires and the few air operated tools I have, including a 1/2" impact wrench. (I bought one that's more efficient (and expensive) in its required air volume through the tool.)
I have one of those vinyl coiled hoses, it's 1/4" -- I've only used it with my auto tires that only need 32 psi.
When filling the bus tires, it's usually best to let the compressor cycle on to achieve the maximum pressure. Admittedly, the 150 psi rated compressor I use has a little more oomph and has less trouble getting to 120 psi -- but air delivery (volume) is slower at the higher pressure, so it can take several minutes to get the last few pounds of pressure into the tires.
Some compressors (check the manual) have a maximum cycle time limit (say, 25%) if so, be careful to stop and let the compressor rest from time to time so you don't overheat it.

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

My Porter Cable 135PSI 3HP/4GAL wont put out more than 110psi with 50'rubber hose or 30' coiled yellow vinal(I think). It has always been this way since new. No leaks or problems...My new Michlens need 120 psi so now I have to do something. What psi compressor does everybody use?
Is there a compressor expert here? Does the length and composition of the hose matter? If so what length and material hose do I need for my 135 psi compressor?The output gauge on the compressor reads 130psi but wont pump up tires past 110psi...

Ed Gardels 89SP
Arlington Tx

09-21-2009, 13:25
Ernie,
Thanks... I'll stay on for awhile ... I suppose my info will get stale at some point since I won't have the continuing experience.
Just got a call from the buyer ... about 2 hours out at a rest stop. He's having a ball with the bus -- even after experiencing some stop-and-go traffic at the fringes of the Bay Area...
(He needed to know how the door unlocked! ... I'd locked him in when I bid him farewell ... and he'd already forgotten where the lock switches were ... )
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (SOLD)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Sep 21, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Ernie Ekberg wrote:

Pete, I see in your sig line you sold your coach. Please stay with us even though you are coachless.
Ernie- Twin Peaks, Ca

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- OnMon, 9/21/09, Pete Masterson<"aeonix1@mac.com">wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Shop air compressor wont put out more than 110 PSI
To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

Ed Gardels 89SP
Arlington Tx

09-21-2009, 13:30
Pete,
I agree with Ernie, please stay with us. Did you tell the new owner about SWBB?

Curt Sprenger

Anaheim Hills, CA

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Pete Masterson <"aeonix1@mac.com"> wrote:

Ernie,

Thanks... I'll stay on for awhile ... I suppose my info will get stale at some point since I won't have the continuing experience.
Just got a call from the buyer ... about 2 hours out at a rest stop. He's having a ball with the bus -- even after experiencing some stop-and-go traffic at the fringes of the Bay Area... 
(He needed to know how the door unlocked! ... I'd locked him in when I bid him farewell ... and he'd already forgotten where the lock switches were ... )
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

Ernie- Twin Peaks, Ca

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx  817-475-3991

--- On Mon, 9/21/09, Pete Masterson <"aeonix1@mac.com"> wrote:

To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

The size/type of output hose should not affect the maximum pressure -- but a smaller hose will reduce the throughput (volume) of air. So filling will take longer and some air-operated tools may not get adequate volume of air at a given pressure. I use a 50'  3/8" hose. It does just fine for my bus tires and the few air operated tools I have, including a 1/2" impact wrench. (I bought one that's more efficient (and expensive) in its required air volume through the tool.)
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

Ed Gardels 89SP
Arlington Tx 

09-21-2009, 13:42
Curt,
There was so much to cover ... and so little time to do so. I mentioned the value of the online forums and the other organizations. I'll send you his email off list, so you can contact him directly about SWBB -- and since he's from AZ, he's a good candidate. However, his goal is to travel to "cooler" places with the coach from his Phoenix home zone.

===============================================

Pete Masterson, Author of

Book Design and Production: A Guide for Authors and Publishers

"Aeonix1@Mac.com"

Aeonix Publishing Group http://www.aeonix.com

===============================================

On Sep 21, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Curt Sprenger wrote:

Pete,
I agree with Ernie, please stay with us. Did you tell the new owner about SWBB?

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Pete Masterson<"aeonix1@mac.com">wrote:

Ernie,

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

Ernie- Twin Peaks, Ca

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge

--- OnMon, 9/21/09, Pete Masterson<"aeonix1@mac.com">wrote:
To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

Ed Gardels 89SP
Arlington Tx

09-22-2009, 05:51
Ed,

I went way overboard with my shop compressor, but I never have to worry about
lack of pressure or volume. I bought an upright 6hp 175psi twin cylinder
machine capable of about 15cfm at 90psi, IIRC. I have it hard plumbed into the
garage, so I have hoses and air ports in several locations. If you use the sch
80 PVC, it will handle the normal pressures and is easy to install. Expensive,
slightly, but I'll take it with me to the next house and never wear it out. I
can run anything I want. I probably have ~$1500 in the total install, including
the breaker box and wiring, pvc, hoses, connections, the unit itself, etc. As
far as I'm concerned, it was (and still is) a very cheap investment that
continually pays me back. And it only takes up slightly more floor space than
most roll arounds, as it sits on a small pallet in the back of the garage.
09-22-2009, 18:08
I never used any air other than a shop compressor. I believe tires are good for
7 or 8 years with air and 5 or 8 years with the other promotional stuff. it
doesn't matter what you run in them. I bet the folks that run co2 and Nitro
replace tread at 5 years anyway, oh yea do oil sampling. folks like that are
sticklers so we will never know the longevity of tires run on promo products. (
I rotate a pair'o new steer tires in every 2 years, put the old ones on one side
of the drive, then move the old drive off to the tag.)

tire shops use larger hoses because their impact guns require the cfm (cubic
feet of air passed per minute) which is a measure of volumn. if they run the
smaller dia hose the guns will starve of air and friction of the tight path of
air will reduce the 'working pressure during the volumn demand'. but the
pressure will return no matter what the size of i.d. is.

when I fill up a flat tire I add volume of air by removing the schrader valve
out of the stem. this helps open the airway into the tire 5 fold. this will keep
the compressor motor running and ensure you get max pressure avaliable. when
you get to the top of the max output of a compressor it shuts down at lets say
110. the compressor motor wont turn on until it goes to 85 90ish. that is why
you cant get it to max air pressure. "cut out, cut in of the compressor".
when filling the tires and the compressor shuts down because the flow(cfm)
is slow remove the air chuck from the tire and bleed the tank until the
compressor comes on. When the compressor come on hook up to the tire again.

truckers dont check pressure every day. they thump their tires with a stick.
when you open the valve to check air, there is a chance to get tire rubber in
the schrader and the tire will leak. I think tire temp, visual and thump is a
better way to check ap. A day or two before a trip I check ap with a gauge then
thump them the morning of departure.
Greg ofTim&Greg
94ptca
09-22-2009, 18:13
there is a pvc made for compressed air because water type shatters and exposed
to sun is more susceptible to that failure. larger sch pvc and larger class pvs
is smaller id so the blue compressed air pvc is a better deal than sch 80 by a
mile.

Greg

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "jcmace59" wrote:
>
> Ed,
>
> I went way overboard with my shop compressor, but I never have to worry about
lack of pressure or volume. I bought an upright 6hp 175psi twin cylinder
machine capable of about 15cfm at 90psi, IIRC. I have it hard plumbed into the
garage, so I have hoses and air ports in several locations. If you use the sch
80 PVC, it will handle the normal pressures and is easy to install. Expensive,
slightly, but I'll take it with me to the next house and never wear it out. I
can run anything I want. I probably have ~$1500 in the total install, including
the breaker box and wiring, pvc, hoses, connections, the unit itself, etc. As
far as I'm concerned, it was (and still is) a very cheap investment that
continually pays me back. And it only takes up slightly more floor space than
most roll arounds, as it sits on a small pallet in the back of the garage.
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)