Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodyear tires - BAD
07-01-2009, 11:46
Goodyear tires - BAD
We bought a set of 8 Goodyear Tires (80 R 22.5) in November 2008. With less than 5,000 miles, we found three of the tires were separating. With worries of the other Goodyears going bad as we drove, we put new Michelin's on our 2000 LXI. Goodyear will not stand behind the tires, Has anyone else had a problem with them?

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:04:24 AM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] New problem,,,,lost one of my Freedom Inverters

Wayne,
After powering down all sources of power including the batteries and then powering up again beginning with reconnecting the batteries and then turning on both the battery charger breakers behind the mirror in the bedroom and checking the Freedom Model 25 status display panels and found them both on, I continued by powering up the generator and both Inverters were still on, I then shut down the generator and connected the 50 Amp shore power and both Inverters were still on. I continued turning every thing on and the Inverters still remained on and were holding the 14 volt steady out put of the battery chargers. I checked the voltage in the electrical outlets and it was 120 volts AC just like it ought to be. Seems that the Inverters would not reset until every source of power was disconnected including the batteries. Its bee several hours now and everything is like it should be.

I sent an earlier email
about what I did which was esentially what I said above.

Thanks to you and all the others for your very valuable suggestions.

I learned a lot from this experience.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Wayne Kotila yahoo.com> wrote:

To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 10:18 PM

If your using your generator do things respond the same as with the shore power ? When you see the voltage rising have you tried throwing the 110volt breakers off that say battery chargers one at a time andleave each one off for about10 minutes and see if either one off would get your voltage to drop back into a normal range? This shoud confirm which inverter/charger is the problem.
Good Luck
Wayne
1996 PT42

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:33:32 PM

Wayne,

I only have two breakers that are labled Battery chargers. None are labled "Inverters". I checked all the breakers and none had tripped. This is a real puzzler. The fact that the voltage is rising on the driver dash guages disturbs me. It is at 17 volts according to the guages but I measured the voltage at a lamp socket and it was 16 volts. That is still too high for a 12 volt bulb. One has blown already. I don't know why the voltage is rising like it is. It is a very slow rise. It started rising yesterday when we parked at this RV park and between 2pm and 10pm it had risen from 14 volts to 16 volts. and today as of 9:30 PM it is slightly over 17 volts..

If I am going down the road with the engine power it is 14 volts. Go figger.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Wayne Kotila
yahoo.com>
wrote:

Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

Did you check all the breakers in your 120 volt panel, sometimes you can't tell that one is tripped and your two inverters should be on 2 seperate 120 volt breakers.
Wayne

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:05:14 PM

Pete,

I have checked the pop out resets on the two Inverters and they were all in so no need to reset them I pressed them anyway just to make sure and they were solid in.

What switch was it that you accidentally hit. I have looked at everything on the dasboard console and didn't notice anything that jumped out at me.

It appears that a breaker has been tripped. I did check those 4 breakers you mentiobned and tripped all of them off then back on and it didn't chanbge a thing. The Inverter panely that is next to the drivers seat (two of them) , the bottom one is off. No indicators are lit at all. Evidently your coach has a different Inverter than mine. Mine is a Heart Interface, Freedom, Model # 25.

I think the Inverter has a breaker tripped somewhere. I have some 120 volt outlets with no voltage even though I am plugged into shore power so that is a clue to the
problem I would think. It appears that the shore powerr has a leg that is non functinbal.

Got to go pick up the wife at the laudry right now but be back shortly.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Pete Masterson wrote:

Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 1:16 PM

I had a similar situation not long ago. After troubleshooting, I thought I'd have to replace the inverter. Eventually, I discovered that a switch on the control panel (next to the driver) had been accidently turned off. Turned it back on -- and now it works just fine. (I guess I must have bumped the switch while working with the HWH level controller right next to it.)

I don't know what controller you have -- but a P.O. had installed a (Heart) Link 2000R controller. It manages the power output of the chargers and limits the charge rate to the batteries (I have AGMs and they require a lower voltage than regular wet cell batteries). On the downside, the Link 2000R controller takes an electrical engineer to operate it -- the manual is very difficult -- but I've been able to puzzle out the way to get it set up right for my batteries.
The standard interface is not as adjustable -- but I'm not really familiar with it.
The inverters have a small breaker on the front (inverters are inside a metal box just above the batteries inside the curb side battery compartment) . Push in to reset. There are dual breakers for each inverter. Mine are located in the bedroom on the engine bulkhead below the main 120 V electrical panel behind a carpet covered door (with an obvious handle). (I have a side-island bed.) 2 breakers for each inverter. These protect the inverter from an overload on an inverted circuit since the inverter power is NOT routed through the main 120 V panel.
The back closet has a removable wooden panel which you might think is to access the engine from inside. You would be incorrect. I removed the panel the other day (in exploration) and discovered it covers a bunch (9 or 10) of 120 vac relays. I have no idea what they all serve (I didn't look for a wiring diagram -- I was just exploring). To remove the panel, you must remove about 6 screws in a gray felt covered strip, then remove 4 or so s! crews al ong the top edge and 2 screws further down -- but you probably don't need to get in there for this problem -- you should just be aware it's there.

Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA

On Jun 29, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Good morning,

I guess that when you go out on a trip is when everything really gets a workout. I left Texas 2 weeks ago and I have finally made my way to Eugene, Or. on my way to Alaska. I have had different kinds of problems arise and corrected them but I have now lost one of my Inverters This is not good for the batteries I would predict.

I think that maybe the inverter is fused or has a breaker in the circuit but I have no idea where to look for that.

If there is anyone out there familiar with the Inverter power circuits, transfer swithches, etc. please advise me. I would like to reset the Inverter that is down and see if it will hold.

The type Inverter I have is the, Heart Interface, Freedom Model 25. There are two of them and one is offline. I don't have any schematics with me or location diag!
rams.&nb sp; Maybe someone on the forum can help me in identifying how this system works and where the transfer switches are if there is such a thing on this coach.

My coach is a 1995, WLWB, 42'. There must be a transfer switch somewhere that senses when shore power is available nad turns the 120 VAC from the Inverter off. That may be where the problem is.

My greatest fear right now is that the Inverter that is still powered up is producing 16 volts to the batteries. That can't be good for the batteries I would think. My next fear is that the Inverter that is down will have to be replaced if it can't be restarted. That will cause me a delay for sure waiting for one to be shipped in and installed.

All the other sytems seem to be okay, except for the LPG gas shut off valve that I presented to the forum about 2 weeks ago. I have not done
anything about pulling that panel to see if the main shut off valve is turned off. I don't really have a need so far for it since my generator is now functioning properly.

Any help with this will be appreciated. I am on a WIFI that finally works as it should. I am in Eugene, Or. at the Shamrock RV park located on Old Franklin Blvd. just off I-5. Nice cool weather here.

Thanks again for your assistance.

1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal. net)

Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2009, 12:38
Goodyear tires - BAD
We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008. With
very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not
cooperating with us at all. Has anyone else had trouble with Goodyears?
07-01-2009, 23:04
Goodyear tires - BAD
--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "kkjames47" wrote:
>
> We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008.
With very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not
>
That is indeed disturbing news - I had decided to put new Goodyears on my 'Bird
before a trip to Seattle later this summer. Why did Goodyear refuse to warranty
the bad tires?

Tommy
07-01-2009, 23:37
Goodyear tires - BAD
I had tred seperation on Goodyears, three instances in less than 5K miles. In two cases I took the tire back and the replaced the tire and paid for the damage to the coach. On the third I insisted they give me my money back as I did not trust the tires. The offered to replace the other original tires, but with the same model GY's. I wouldn't Agee, got disgusted and replaces them with new Michelins.
If you look in out archived posts, you will see my previous comments on the subject.
Roger Webb
91 WL
Cedar Rapids, IA
RWW
On Jul 1, 2009, at 8:38 PM, "kkjames47" <"kkjames47@yahoo.com"> wrote:

We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008. With very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not cooperating with us at all. Has anyone else had trouble with Goodyears?

07-02-2009, 00:02
Goodyear tires - BAD
Do you know what model of Goodyears you purchased? Were they all the same model? Hopefully none were the G159 which we had as front tires. We had a blowout on I-87 in New York state with very little mileage, only to discover later that this tire was prone to separate. We were told that Goodyear replaced the G159 with the G149. When we returned home, Ireplaced both front tires with Michelins, a personal choice that always invites various opinions, pro and con. I have had no problems with the Michelins thus far, thankfully.
Brian Johnson
Bailieboro, Ontario
1982 FCRB

--- On Wed, 7/1/09, kkjames47 wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Goodyear Tires - BAD
Received: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 8:38 PM

We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008. With very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not cooperating with us at all. Has anyone else had trouble with Goodyears?

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
07-02-2009, 00:19
Goodyear tires - BAD
Signature? Sounds like a classic case of improper air pressure. What are your
position weights at each of the 6 positions? What air pressure do you carry at
each position? How do you check the pressure, and how often?

No tire manufacturer will routinely stand behind tire failure due to improper
air pressure.

Gary
SOB
--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "kkjames47" wrote:
>
> We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008.
With very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not
>
07-02-2009, 00:39
Goodyear tires - BAD
I believe the GY's I had were G149's. You can look in the archived posts to confirm. I have all my documentation at my office, but will not be back there until Monday.
Roger Webb
91 WL
Cedar Rapids, IA
On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Brian Johnson <"wanderbuddy@yahoo.ca"> wrote:

Do you know what model of Goodyears you purchased? Were they all the same model? Hopefully none were the G159 which we had as front tires. We had a blowout on I-87 in New York state with very little mileage, only to discover later that this tire was prone to separate. We were told that Goodyear replaced the G159 with the G149. When we returned home, Ireplaced both front tires with Michelins, a personal choice that always invites various opinions, pro and con. I have had no problems with the Michelins thus far, thankfully.
Brian Johnson
Bailieboro, Ontario
1982 FCRB

--- On Wed, 7/1/09, kkjames47 com> wrote:

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!

=
07-02-2009, 02:53
Goodyear tires - BAD
The tire pressure was routinely checked and we never ran them if they were low. The tires had only 4,000 miles on them. All eight were purchased at the same time and were the same batch number.. We did not feel safe running on them so replaced them with Michelin.. (an expensive lesson, needless to say!)

Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:19:04 AM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Goodyear Tires - BAD

Signature? Sounds like a classic case of improper air pressure. What are your position weights at each of the 6 positions? What air pressure do you carry at each position? How do you check the pressure, and how often?

No tire manufacturer will routinely stand behind tire failure due to improper air pressure.

Gary
SOB
--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "kkjames47" wrote:
>
> We purchased 8 new Goodyear (80 R 22.5)for our 2000 LXI in August of 2008. With very little mileage, three of the tires have separated. Goodyear is not cooperating with us at all. Has anyone else had trouble with Goodyears?
>

07-02-2009, 02:59
Goodyear tires - BAD
The model number was 80 R 22.5 G670 RE, Load range L.

Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:02:20 AM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Goodyear Tires - BAD

Do you know what model of Goodyears you purchased? Were they all the same model? Hopefully none were the G159 which we had as front tires. We had a blowout on I-87 in New York state with very little mileage, only to discover later that this tire was prone to separate. We were told that Goodyear replaced the G159 with the G149. When we returned home, Ireplaced both front tires with Michelins, a personal choice that always invites various opinions, pro and con.. I have had no problems with the Michelins thus far, thankfully.
Brian Johnson
Bailieboro, Ontario
1982 FCRB

--- On Wed, 7/1/09, kkjames47 wrote:

07-02-2009, 07:33
Goodyear tires - BAD
I can guess what it is, but I'd rather not - what is the missing 3 digit number
in front of 80 (usually xxx/80) for these tires? That missing number is the
size, and 80 is just ratio of height to width.

On 7/2/2009 at 7:59 AM Karen James wrote:

>The model number was 80 R 22.5 G670 RE, Load range L.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)