Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New problem,,,,lost one of my Freedom Inverters
06-30-2009, 04:40
When you're on engine power, the battery chargers are OFF. The alternator is supplying the power, then.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jun 29, 2009, at 9:33 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Wayne,

I only have two breakers that are labled Battery chargers. None are labled "Inverters". I checked all the breakers and none had tripped. This is a real puzzler. The fact that the voltage is rising on the driver dash guages disturbs me. It is at 17 volts according to the guages but I measured the voltage at a lamp socket and it was 16 volts. That is still too high for a 12 volt bulb. One has blown already. I don't know why the voltage is rising like it is. It is a very slow rise. It started rising yesterday when we parked at this RV park and between 2pm and 10pm it had risen from 14 volts to 16 volts. and today as of 9:30 PM it is slightly over 17 volts.

If I am going down the road with the engine power it is 14 volts. Go figger.

Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2009, 05:28
Marty,

I am going to try your suggestion this morning. I have done so many things that I am starting to lose memory of what I have tried. The generator test seems to be appropriate about now. I think I did that in the beginning of this problem but, alas, memory fails me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think maybe I am having one of the legs of the 50 amp service having a problem. I have reset every breaker I could find though. The panel behind the mirror does not have a main disconnect breaker. So all I could do there is to trip every individual breaker and restore it to on position. Nothing helped in that procedure though.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, martingregg598 wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: New problem,,,,lost one of my Freedom Inverters
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:04 AM

Ron, this may sound simple but just to check, did you fire up the generator and see what went on? If your coach has a Lyght Speed transfer switch, it will default to the generator contactors. I have had my transfer switch only hook up on one leg of the shore power and it does funny stuff to the electrical system. Inside the Lyght Speed is two contactors and a small third switch that gets crapped up and has to be cycled to scrub clean. If I were getting a progressively higher voltage 16 to 17 volts, I would shut it down before I started losing a lot of stuff. Also my dad started getting high dc voltage and it was the battery isolator.

Marty Gregg

95 BMC 37

Kennewick Wa

06-30-2009, 05:48
The top two breakers on the left (blue colored, tied together with a clip) are the "mains" -- they're 50 amps each. Turn those off, and all the 120 VAC stuff should be dead -- except what is served by the inverters, as those have parallel circuits that do not go through the main panel.
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jun 30, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Marty,

I am going to try your suggestion this morning. I have done so many things that I am starting to lose memory of what I have tried. The generator test seems to be appropriate about now. I think I did that in the beginning of this problem but, alas, memory fails me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think maybe I am having one of the legs of the 50 amp service having a problem. I have reset every breaker I could find though. The panel behind the mirror does not have a main disconnect breaker. So all I could do there is to trip every individual breaker and restore it to on position. Nothing helped in that procedure though.

1995 WLWB 42'
("cockyfox@sbcglobal.net")

--- OnTue, 6/30/09, martingregg598<"martingregg598@msn.com">wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: New problem,,,,lost one of my Freedom Inverters
To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:04 AM

Ron, this may sound simple but just to check, did you fire up the generator and see what went on? If your coach has a Lyght Speed transfer switch, it will default to the generator contactors. I have had my transfer switch only hook up on one leg of the shore power and it does funny stuff to the electrical system. Inside the Lyght Speed is two contactors and a small third switch that gets crapped up and has to be cycled to scrub clean. If I were getting a progressively higher voltage 16 to 17 volts, I would shut it down before I started losing a lot of stuff. Also my dad started getting high dc voltage and it was the battery isolator.
Marty Gregg
95 BMC 37
Kennewick Wa

06-30-2009, 05:49
Pete and all others who have an interest.

I have a good volt meter, Fluke digital and its accurate.

Now, here is the good news so far. I powered everything to do with power supplies and disconnected the shore power and removed the panel on the main breaker. Bear in mind that the two inverters switches are off both at the inverter, which is not a disconnect switch by the way, and also the two inverter panels by the driver seat had their switches turned off. Also all the breakers in the panel were switched off.

I then started the generator and checked the guages on the dash console and they both read 14 volts give or take a tenth. After 10 minutes they were still stable. I checked the ac voltage output and it was steady on 121 volts AC. I then shut down the generator and reconected the shore power and
cheked the meter reading at the mains in the panel behind the mirrorl. Leg one was about 122 volts and leg two was about 120 volts and they were both steady at those voltages. I then turned on the inverter switches in the battery bay and checked the two panels by the drivers seat and they both had leds lit. and the input was about 13 volts. I then turned the battery charger breaker switches on at the panel behind the mirror and lo and behold the output was about 14 to 14.5 volts at both panels. I am watching it now to make sure it is going to hold at 14 volts and it is so far.
It appears that a structured start up procedure had to be done from cold power up.

Before I could not get the lower panel by the driver seat to do anything. It appears that as long as there was power from any source the Inverter would not reset itself.

Here is hoping that this fixes the problem.

As a closing note, this whole
thing started at my first RV park on this trip two weeks ago.

I plugged into their 50 amp service and it was as if my coach was a voltage sink ground. A large buzzing sound and I jerked the power cord out. After checking things out without any finding anything, I plugged the power cable back into the 50 amp service and it appeared that everything was ok. I did not check the display panels by the drivers seat that night but noticed the next day that the lower one was dead. So something was wrong with their power set up. Maybe a line reversal. Won't ever know.........

Thanks for all your help. Your suggestions led me in the right direction. Here is hoping that they problem does not reassert itself. Thanks again to all of you.

I hope I can be of service to others as time goes on. I will learn this beast sooner or later.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Pete Masterson wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] New problem,,,,lost one of my Freedom Inverters
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't rule out that an inverter has failed. The charger would still work as it's a separate part. The high heat may have precipitated a failure. The basic test of the inverter is to check for 12 vdc 'hot' at the input and 120 VAC at the output. Bench test is best -- but that involves removing the inverter. As you suggested (earlier) the cold (well, cooler) one is the likely culprit.

Since I never got to the point of removing my inverter (for a bench test), I can't comment on what's inside the inverter enclosure.
The increasing voltage (shown on the inverter control panel?) is a concern -- but if the voltage at the batteries is still at 13.5 ~ 14, then I have to wonder about the volt meter. What do the _dash_ meters read? (Be sure the chassis/house crossover switch is off, when you check.) If they're in the normal range, then the 17 volt reading may be spurious -- and a fault in the
inverter control system.
When I thought I had a dead inverter, I didn't have anything reading out of normal range (and my inverter panel still was alive). But then, as it turned out, my problem was only a mis-set switch.
I'd try turning off one then the other "battery charger" breakers (on the 120 vac panel) and checking the voltage reading then. It may be that the charger on the bad inverter has lost its control circuits and is "running away." If that's the case, battery damage could eventually occur. (Or turn both charger breakers off, then turn one, then the other on...)
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA
El Sobrante CA

On Jun 29, 2009, at 9:12 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Pete,

I found the hand hold down at the left bottom of that mirror over the drivers side drawer in the rear bedroom. However, no breakers had been tripped. There were two breakers labled Battery Chargers. I assume
those were the Inverters since no others were labled Inverters. The breakers all felt good on the switch off and on. Good strong action. So I still have some work to do.

Got to be something somewhere that is out. However the Inverter could just be bad. I am about to decide that is what is wrong. I came across the Mojave desert early last week and man was it hot. The inside of that engine area was hot as hell. That could have cause one of the Inverters to fail.

I have to just keep looking. I am on my way to Alaska and leaving Eugene Or. on Wednesday to go up through Washington state to get to the Canadian border. I just don't have the time to tear things down and find the trouble. I just keep taking one thing a day and run it out and see if that works. The voltage
rising when I am plugged into shore power worries me. It is now over 17 volts on the guages. However, measured with a digital Fluke meter it is still about 13.5 to 14 volts at the batteries. I need to do some more analysis on that to determin!
e where that high voltage is. I thought those guages were attached right at the batteries to accurately measure the voltage at the coach and the engine batteries.

Thanks Pete for your help. I am still in a deep learning curve on these coaches.

1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal. net)

--- OnMon, 6/29/09, Pete Masterson<aeonix1@mac. com>wrote:
To:WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 9:57 PM

On Jun 29, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:

<snip>
The Inverter panels are located on the same wall as the dead outlet but closer to the front. They are mounted one above the other. The lower one is the one that is dead. No indicator lights at all and the switch is on. I checked in!
the bat
tery compartment where the coach batteries are located. The two Inverters are located at the top behind a screw lock door. I lowered the door and checked the pop out breakers on the front of the Inverters and all were OK with none of them popped out. One of the Inverters was very warn to the touch but the other one was not cold but was just a little warm. Probably from conduction from the other Inverter. I didn't see any easy to reset the cold inverter. I did turn the power switch off on it and waited a minute or so then turned it back on with no positive results.
Ok this is a "bad sign" that the inverter isn't getting any power. Make sure the signal wires are connected to the batteries. They are very light weight wires hooked to a couple of the battery terminals. However, they're probably not the
problem. There are some electrical things on the curb side accessible through the "grill door" to the engine side/battery compartment on the engine side of the bulkhead. I'm not sure what all that stuff is, but it's worth checking to ensure that there are no loose wires.
Ah... I have one of those boxes. No label, however. No clue what's inside. I'd be sure the I'm disconnected from shore power -and- remove the negative cables from the battery posts before opening that one up. I'm guessing "shock hazard inside."
I didn't see anything else to check out on them so closed them up and looked for the transfer switch which I found in the bay on the road side where the Aqua Hot system is located. It was mounted on the
right wall of that bay in a metal box about 8 or 10 inches square and labled, Transfer Switch.
There were no switches on control devices on the outside of the case. There was a coil type device on the bottom the case but I couldn't see what it was from the angle I
had to view it. It looked as if you would have to remove the box and take off the cover to see what it was.
If I had a schematic and a location diagram I might have some luck in identifying why that outlet by the drivers seat is not working. Three days ago it was working because I had my camera charger plugged into it and it worked fine for that.
I got a ton of schematics -- but I can't tell what's wh! at. I do n't think I have anything that looks like 120v circuits -- all the diagrams I have looks like 12 v.
That!
is abou
t as far as I have gotten with it so far, Pete. Your ideas were very good and did remind me to check those GFI's

As far as that cedar lined closet goes. I do have four breakers that are not in the closet but on the floor just under the right hand drawer that is just below the TV that is mounted above it. All four of the breakers were on and not tripped. I reset all four of them just in case but it did not change anything.

Inside the closet on the right side down low near the floor of the closet is a removable felt covered panel. Behind it is a bunch of small relays or miniature breakers which I have no idea what they are for. I did visually check them out and did not see any thing out of the ordinarry.
That's all 12vdc stuff. There's another power center toward the top (in my coach). Your floor plan sounds different in some respects. My inverter breakers are on the curb side. The main 120 VAC power panel is behind a mirror just above the curb-side drawer.
< br>
Is there another panel in that closet. I did not see a panel that was wooden that could be removed unless you are talking about the whole back wall of the closet.
Yes, I'm talking about the "whole" back wall of the closet. There are two visible screws next to a small gap. At the top of the panel is a gray felt covered wood strip. Remove that strip (6 screws hidden in the felt) and you'll find another little gap and another 6 screws. Behind that whole back wall of the closet is a set of 8 or 9 120 VAC relays and some other wires down in the bottom of the hidden compartment.
This is about all I can tell you at this point. I am no closer to a solution than I was this morning.
The lack of schematics and location diagrams is the problem. I am an experienced electronic tech and can trouble shoot very well from a schematic and location diagrams.

There is one thing I have learned about these birds, There is no easy project. They all are complicated and time consuming.
You got that right!
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

06-30-2009, 06:41
Ron, there is one other aspect to think about, and that is a welded contact
on one of the relays in the auto change over switch box. That too, would
give you the original symptoms, then the contacts heat up, break the weld
and every ting appears to be in service. Some ting to check. Those relays
are actually like a square D contacter and the contacts can be
changed,,,,ie: a kit.

Safe travels,

Ralph and Charolette Fullenwider
84FC35 "Ruff Diamond"
Duncan, Oklahoma

At 10:49 AM 6/30/2009 -0700, you wrote:

>Pete and all others who have an interest.
>
>I have a good volt meter, Fluke digital and its accurate.
>
>Now, here is the good news so far. I powered everything to do with power
>supplies and disconnected the shore power and removed the panel on the
>main breaker. Bear in mind that the two inverters switches are off both
>at the inverter, which is not a disconnect switch by the way, and also the
>two inverter panels by the driver seat had their switches turned
>off. Also all the breakers in the panel were switched off.
>
>I then started the generator and checked the guages on the dash console
>and they both read 14 volts give or take a tenth. After 10 minutes they
>were still stable. I checked the ac voltage output and it was steady on
>121 volts AC. I then shut down the generator and reconected the shore
>power and cheked the meter reading at the mains in the panel behind the
>mirrorl. Leg one was about 122 volts and leg two was about 120 volts and
>they were both steady at those voltages. I then turned on the inverter
>switches in the battery bay and checked the two panels by the drivers seat
>and they both had leds lit. and the input was about 13 volts. I then
>turned the battery charger breaker switches on at the panel behind the
>mirror and lo and behold the output was about 14 to 14.5 volts at both
>panels. I am watching it now to make sure it is going to hold at 14 volts
>and it is so far.
>It appears that a structured start up procedure had to be done from cold
>power up.
>
>Before I could not get the lower panel by the driver seat to do
>anything. It appears that as long as there was power from any source the
>Inverter would not reset itself.
>
>Here is hoping that this fixes the problem.
>
>As a closing note, this whole thing started at my first RV park on this
>trip two weeks ago.
>
>I plugged into their 50 amp service and it was as if my coach was a
>voltage sink ground. A large buzzing sound and I jerked the power cord
>out. After checking things out without any finding anything, I plugged
>the power cable back into the 50 amp service and it appeared that
>everything was ok. I did not check the display panels by the drivers seat
>that night but noticed the next day that the lower one was dead. So
>something was wrong with their power set up. Maybe a line
>reversal. Won't ever know.........
>
>Thanks for all your help. Your suggestions led me in the right direction.
>Here is hoping that they problem does not reassert itself. Thanks again
>to all of you.
>
>I hope I can be of service to others as time goes on. I will learn this
>beast sooner or later.
>
>
>
>Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
>1995 WLWB 42'
>(cockyfox@...)
>
>>>
06-30-2009, 07:38
If you need a new Xantrex Inverter try these guys at

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Sun-Electron...QQ_armrsZ1

I bought 2 Xantrex RV 3012V last summer for $1295.00

New, Full Warr., Fast Service, I was satisfied with product.

Just a recommendation for good product at good prices, I have no financial
interest in this Co.,

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph L. Fullenwider"
wrote:
>
> Ron, there is one other aspect to think about, and that is a welded contact
> on one of the relays in the auto change over switch box. That too, would
> give you the original symptoms, then the contacts heat up, break the weld
> and every ting appears to be in service. Some ting to check. Those relays
> are actually like a square D contacter and the contacts can be
> changed,,,,ie: a kit.
>
> Safe travels,
>
> Ralph and Charolette Fullenwider
> 84FC35 "Ruff Diamond"
> Duncan, Oklahoma
>
> At 10:49 AM 6/30/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>
>
> >Pete and all others who have an interest.
> >
> >I have a good volt meter, Fluke digital and its accurate.
> >
> >Now, here is the good news so far. I powered everything to do with power
> >supplies and disconnected the shore power and removed the panel on the
> >main breaker. Bear in mind that the two inverters switches are off both
> >at the inverter, which is not a disconnect switch by the way, and also the
> >two inverter panels by the driver seat had their switches turned
> >off. Also all the breakers in the panel were switched off.
> >
> >I then started the generator and checked the guages on the dash console
> >and they both read 14 volts give or take a tenth. After 10 minutes they
> >were still stable. I checked the ac voltage output and it was steady on
> >121 volts AC. I then shut down the generator and reconected the shore
> >power and cheked the meter reading at the mains in the panel behind the
> >mirrorl. Leg one was about 122 volts and leg two was about 120 volts and
> >they were both steady at those voltages. I then turned on the inverter
> >switches in the battery bay and checked the two panels by the drivers seat
> >and they both had leds lit. and the input was about 13 volts. I then
> >turned the battery charger breaker switches on at the panel behind the
> >mirror and lo and behold the output was about 14 to 14.5 volts at both
> >panels. I am watching it now to make sure it is going to hold at 14 volts
> >and it is so far.
> >It appears that a structured start up procedure had to be done from cold
> >power up.
> >
> >Before I could not get the lower panel by the driver seat to do
> >anything. It appears that as long as there was power from any source the
> >Inverter would not reset itself.
> >
> >Here is hoping that this fixes the problem.
> >
> >As a closing note, this whole thing started at my first RV park on this
> >trip two weeks ago.
> >
> >I plugged into their 50 amp service and it was as if my coach was a
> >voltage sink ground. A large buzzing sound and I jerked the power cord
> >out. After checking things out without any finding anything, I plugged
> >the power cable back into the 50 amp service and it appeared that
> >everything was ok. I did not check the display panels by the drivers seat
> >that night but noticed the next day that the lower one was dead. So
> >something was wrong with their power set up. Maybe a line
> >reversal. Won't ever know.........
> >
> >Thanks for all your help. Your suggestions led me in the right direction.
> >Here is hoping that they problem does not reassert itself. Thanks again
> >to all of you.
> >
> >I hope I can be of service to others as time goes on. I will learn this
> >beast sooner or later.
> >
> >
> >
> >Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
> >1995 WLWB 42'
> >(cockyfox@...)
> >
> >>>
>
06-30-2009, 08:33
Ron, one thing that I forgot to mention is that for my single inverter, which is
located in a lower compartment, there are some large 120 VAC relays behind a
panel in my closet. Right after I bought the coach when I plugged it in there
was a loud buzzing noise, a bad relay. This relay directs the power from the
inverter to the breaker box for the circuits that are active off the inverter
like the microwave, but not my A/C's. Your coach must have a similar set up.
Also, on the Transfer switch, if is a Lyght Speed and starting your generator
caused both legs of the contactors to hold then it could be that small switch to
the left of the contactors needs to be flipped back and forth several times to
scrub it clean, if this switch does not make contact your power will be screwed
up.
Marty Gregg
95 BMC 37
Kennewick WA.
06-30-2009, 15:18
If your using your generator do things respond the same as with the shore power ? When you see the voltage rising have you tried throwing the 110volt breakers off that say battery chargers one at a time andleave each one off for about10 minutes and see if either one off would get your voltage to drop back into a normal range? This shoud confirm which inverter/charger is the problem.
Good Luck
Wayne
1996 PT42

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:33:32 PM

Wayne,

I only have two breakers that are labled Battery chargers. None are labled "Inverters". I checked all the breakers and none had tripped. This is a real puzzler. The fact that the voltage is rising on the driver dash guages disturbs me. It is at 17 volts according to the guages but I measured the voltage at a lamp socket and it was 16 volts. That is still too high for a 12 volt bulb. One has blown already. I don't know why the voltage is rising like it is. It is a very slow rise. It started rising yesterday when we parked at this RV park and between 2pm and 10pm it had risen from 14 volts to 16 volts. and today as of 9:30 PM it is slightly over 17 volts.

1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Wayne Kotila
yahoo.com>
wrote:

To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

Did you check all the breakers in your 120 volt panel, sometimes you can't tell that one is tripped and your two inverters should be on 2 seperate 120 volt breakers.
Wayne

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:05:14 PM

Pete,

I have checked the pop out resets on the two Inverters and they were all in so no need to reset them I pressed them anyway just to make sure and they were solid in.

What switch was it that you accidentally hit. I have looked at everything on the dasboard console and didn't notice anything that jumped out at me.

It appears that a breaker has been tripped. I did check those 4 breakers you mentiobned and tripped all of them off then back on and it didn't chanbge a thing. The Inverter panely that is next to the drivers seat (two of them) , the bottom one is off. No indicators are lit at all. Evidently your coach has a different Inverter than mine. Mine is a Heart Interface, Freedom, Model # 25.

I think the Inverter has a breaker tripped somewhere. I have some 120 volt outlets with no voltage even though I am plugged into shore power so that is a clue to the
problem I would think. It appears that the shore powerr has a leg that is non functinbal.

Got to go pick up the wife at the laudry right now but be back shortly.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Pete Masterson wrote:

Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 1:16 PM

I had a similar situation not long ago. After troubleshooting, I thought I'd have to replace the inverter. Eventually, I discovered that a switch on the control panel (next to the driver) had been accidently turned off. Turned it back on -- and now it works just fine. (I guess I must have bumped the switch while working with the HWH level controller right next to it.)

I don't know what controller you have -- but a P.O. had installed a (Heart) Link 2000R controller. It manages the power output of the chargers and limits the charge rate to the batteries (I have AGMs and they require a lower voltage than regular wet cell batteries). On the downside, the Link 2000R controller takes an electrical engineer to operate it -- the manual is very difficult -- but I've been able to puzzle out the way to get it set up right for my batteries.
The standard interface is not as adjustable -- but I'm not really familiar with it.
The inverters have a small breaker on the front (inverters are inside a metal box just above the batteries inside the curb side battery compartment) . Push in to reset. There are dual breakers for each inverter. Mine are located in the bedroom on the engine bulkhead below the main 120 V electrical panel behind a carpet covered door (with an obvious handle). (I have a side-island bed.) 2 breakers for each inverter. These protect the inverter from an overload on an inverted circuit since the inverter power is NOT routed through the main 120 V panel.
The back closet has a removable wooden panel which you might think is to access the engine from inside. You would be incorrect. I removed the panel the other day (in exploration) and discovered it covers a bunch (9 or 10) of 120 vac relays. I have no idea what they all serve (I didn't look for a wiring diagram -- I was just exploring). To remove the panel, you must remove about 6 screws in a gray felt covered strip, then remove 4 or so s! crews al ong the top edge and 2 screws further down -- but you probably don't need to get in there for this problem -- you should just be aware it's there.

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

On Jun 29, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Good morning,

I guess that when you go out on a trip is when everything really gets a workout. I left Texas 2 weeks ago and I have finally made my way to Eugene, Or. on my way to Alaska. I have had different kinds of problems arise and corrected them but I have now lost one of my Inverters This is not good for the batteries I would predict.

I think that maybe the inverter is fused or has a breaker in the circuit but I have no idea where to look for that.

If there is anyone out there familiar with the Inverter power circuits, transfer swithches, etc. please advise me. I would like to reset the Inverter that is down and see if it will hold.

The type Inverter I have is the, Heart Interface, Freedom Model 25. There are two of them and one is offline. I don't have any schematics with me or location diag!
rams.&nb sp; Maybe someone on the forum can help me in identifying how this system works and where the transfer switches are if there is such a thing on this coach.

My coach is a 1995, WLWB, 42'. There must be a transfer switch somewhere that senses when shore power is available nad turns the 120 VAC from the Inverter off. That may be where the problem is.

My greatest fear right now is that the Inverter that is still powered up is producing 16 volts to the batteries. That can't be good for the batteries I would think. My next fear is that the Inverter that is down will have to be replaced if it can't be restarted. That will cause me a delay for sure waiting for one to be shipped in and installed.

All the other sytems seem to be okay, except for the LPG gas shut off valve that I presented to the forum about 2 weeks ago. I have not done
anything about pulling that panel to see if the main shut off valve is turned off. I don't really have a need so far for it since my generator is now functioning properly.

Any help with this will be appreciated. I am on a WIFI that finally works as it should. I am in Eugene, Or. at the Shamrock RV park located on Old Franklin Blvd. just off I-5. Nice cool weather here.

Thanks again for your assistance.

1995 WLWB 42'

06-30-2009, 18:04
Wayne,
After powering down all sources of power including the batteries and then powering up again beginning with reconnecting the batteries and then turning on both the battery charger breakers behind the mirror in the bedroom and checking the Freedom Model 25 status display panels and found them both on, I continued by powering up the generator and both Inverters were still on, I then shut down the generator and connected the 50 Amp shore power and both Inverters were still on. I continued turning every thing on and the Inverters still remained on and were holding the 14 volt steady out put of the battery chargers. I checked the voltage in the electrical outlets and it was 120 volts AC just like it ought to be. Seems that the Inverters would not reset until every source of power was disconnected including the batteries. Its bee several
hours now and everything is like it should be.

I sent an earlier email about what I did which was esentially what I said above.

Thanks to you and all the others for your very valuable suggestions.

I learned a lot from this experience.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Wayne Kotila wrote:
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 10:18 PM

If your using your generator do things respond the same as with the shore power ? When you see the voltage rising have you tried throwing the 110volt breakers off that say battery chargers one at a time andleave each one off for about10 minutes and see if either one off would get your voltage to drop back into a normal range? This shoud confirm which inverter/charger is the problem.
Good Luck
Wayne
1996 PT42

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:33:32 PM

Wayne,

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Wayne Kotila
yahoo.com>
wrote:

Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

Did you check all the breakers in your 120 volt panel, sometimes you can't tell that one is tripped and your two inverters should be on 2 seperate 120 volt breakers.
Wayne

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:05:14 PM

Pete,

I have checked the pop out resets on the two Inverters and they were all in so no need to reset them I pressed them anyway just to make sure and they were solid in.

What switch was it that you accidentally hit. I have looked at everything on the dasboard console and didn't notice anything that jumped out at me.

It appears that a breaker has been tripped. I did check those 4 breakers you mentiobned and tripped all of them off then back on and it didn't chanbge a thing. The Inverter panely that is next to the drivers seat (two of them) , the bottom one is off. No indicators are lit at all. Evidently your coach has a different Inverter than mine. Mine is a Heart Interface, Freedom, Model # 25.

I think the Inverter has a breaker tripped somewhere. I have some 120 volt outlets with no voltage even though I am plugged into shore power so that is a clue to the
problem I would think. It appears that the shore powerr has a leg that is non functinbal.

Got to go pick up the wife at the laudry right now but be back shortly.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Mon, 6/29/09, Pete Masterson wrote:

Date: Monday, June 29, 2009, 1:16 PM

I had a similar situation not long ago. After troubleshooting, I thought I'd have to replace the inverter. Eventually, I discovered that a switch on the control panel (next to the driver) had been accidently turned off. Turned it back on -- and now it works just fine. (I guess I must have bumped the switch while working with the HWH level controller right next to it.)

I don't know what controller you have -- but a P.O. had installed a (Heart) Link 2000R controller. It manages the power output of the chargers and limits the charge rate to the batteries (I have AGMs and they require a lower voltage than regular wet cell batteries). On the downside, the Link 2000R controller takes an electrical engineer to operate it -- the manual is very difficult -- but I've been able to puzzle out the way to get it set up right for my batteries.
The standard interface is not as adjustable -- but I'm not really familiar with it.
The inverters have a small breaker on the front (inverters are inside a metal box just above the batteries inside the curb side battery compartment) . Push in to reset. There are dual breakers for each inverter. Mine are located in the bedroom on the engine bulkhead below the main 120 V electrical panel behind a carpet covered door (with an obvious handle). (I have a side-island bed.) 2 breakers for each inverter. These protect the inverter from an overload on an inverted circuit since the inverter power is NOT routed through the main 120 V panel.
The back closet has a removable wooden panel which you might think is to access the engine from inside. You would be incorrect. I removed the panel the other day (in exploration) and discovered it covers a bunch (9 or 10) of 120 vac relays. I have no idea what they all serve (I didn't look for a wiring diagram -- I was just exploring). To remove the panel, you must remove about 6 screws in a gray felt covered strip, then remove 4 or so s! crews al ong the top edge and 2 screws further down -- but you probably don't need to get in there for this problem -- you should just be aware it's there.

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

On Jun 29, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Good morning,

I guess that when you go out on a trip is when everything really gets a workout. I left Texas 2 weeks ago and I have finally made my way to Eugene, Or. on my way to Alaska. I have had different kinds of problems arise and corrected them but I have now lost one of my Inverters This is not good for the batteries I would predict.

I think that maybe the inverter is fused or has a breaker in the circuit but I have no idea where to look for that.

If there is anyone out there familiar with the Inverter power circuits, transfer swithches, etc. please advise me. I would like to reset the Inverter that is down and see if it will hold.

The type Inverter I have is the, Heart Interface, Freedom Model 25. There are two of them and one is offline. I don't have any schematics with me or location diag!
rams.&nb sp; Maybe someone on the forum can help me in identifying how this system works and where the transfer switches are if there is such a thing on this coach.

My coach is a 1995, WLWB, 42'. There must be a transfer switch somewhere that senses when shore power is available nad turns the 120 VAC from the Inverter off. That may be where the problem is.

My greatest fear right now is that the Inverter that is still powered up is producing 16 volts to the batteries. That can't be good for the batteries I would think. My next fear is that the Inverter that is down will have to be replaced if it can't be restarted. That will cause me a delay for sure waiting for one to be shipped in and installed.

All the other sytems seem to be okay, except for the LPG gas shut off valve that I presented to the forum about 2 weeks ago. I have not done
anything about pulling that panel to see if the main shut off valve is turned off. I don't really have a need so far for it since my generator is now functioning properly.

Any help with this will be appreciated. I am on a WIFI that finally works as it should. I am in Eugene, Or. at the Shamrock RV park located on Old Franklin Blvd. just off I-5. Nice cool weather here.

Thanks again for your assistance.

1995 WLWB 42'

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)