Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Maryland
04-03-2009, 11:13
State of Maryland
Thanks for the info on Maryland every one but we are staying at Cherryhill since it is rated very well and rv review shows it is all new and there was someone told me the name of a place in Berlin to stay for the shore that is where I am going. I even caught it on a half off weekend on a $69.00 site on the ocean. Millersville was of interest only because I was a student at Millersville Elementary school in 1955-56. I live in Herald Harbor when it was controlled by the colorful Italians of the time, great place to be a kid and growing up. We plan on"toadin " around the shore and have some fun. DC will get what ever attention I can give it but I am hopingto find a handicapped space to get into for a while at the Mall. The rest will be out of the car window more than likely.

Scooter 2000LX Ocqueoc, MI

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:52:58 +0000
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: State of Maryland

Al,
We "stayed" at the Millersville KOA when we brought our bird home last year. I knew what I was buying and knew that I couldn't realistically park it at my parents's house, so I made a reservation at this KOA, which is essentially right around the corner from the house. I told them I wanted 50A service, full hookups and asked about room for a 42' bus. I MADE SURE they knew I was coming in a 42' bus. I got there and they still tried to put me into a tiny site (no more than 35') in the woods with turns I couldn't even make. I almost got stuck. Then, they finally decided to put me in one of the larger spots, but I'd have to move each day, because somebody else had reserved the spot! Mind you they had SEVERAL empty spots that I would fit into. So then after I'm in one spot, have to move to another; I get everybody walking right through my site, when next to me is an empty site!

I understand this is really the only campground in the area. I would stay in a truckstop before I go back to this KOA again. There is a truckstop a couple of miles north and one a couple of miles south, just in case you decide to not stay here. It was enough that I was wondering what the hell I had just gotten us into buying this RV???? Was this what it was going to be like at everyplace?? Fortunately, the next place we stayed (also happened to be a KOA- due to location only, I would not have picked a KOA), the front desk girl was very good and went to bat for us when a local pizza delivery place tried to give us the run around. She called the manager back, squared him away and got our pizza delivered to the site for essentially half of what we were told originally. Of course, in the middle of the night, an SOB pulls in and parks RIGHT NEXT TO us when there are 30% of the rest of the sites open! My series 60 warmed up for several minutes that morning.

Anyway, if you decide to stay at the Millersville KOA, all the big sites are right in front of the check in building. If they want you to go ANYPLACE else, just do a u-turn and drive to one of the truckstops!!

As far as Frontier Town in Ocean City (I lived in OC for 2 years), it's about 12 or 15 miles south of OC, which is the opposite direction from Rehobeth. Take a look at http://www.treasurebeachrvpark.com. It's between OC and Rehobeth. It may be a better spot. The Ft Whaley site might be better than the Frontier Town, just because you won't really have to get into OC to get to Rehobeth with your bird. You can take 810 north and miss the OC traffic. I just googled "campground & Ocean City Maryland" and got several listings. I don't know anything about any of them, other than location and traffic patterns. Rt 50 from DC to OC is pretty good. There are several places to pull off and traffic will be relatively good- depending on the day and time. There's a pretty good microbrewery in Rehobeth, called Dogfish Head. They've got a restaurant there, though I haven't eaten at it yet.

Good luck on your travels!!

John

--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "Rollin Thunder" ...> wrote:
>
> Hi Al,
> Congrats! You are going to DC at the right time. We were there last June and July. We attended the DC BBQ fest but we felt like we were the ones being Q'ed. Too hot and humid during that time of the year. Anyway, I was fearful of taking the RV and a tow car into that area. Having worked in and out of that area for 36 years, I know all about the bad driving and parking situation. So, we parked the RV in North Carolina and took Amtrak up to DC. Long ride on the train. It took about 8 hours.
> Yes, I knew about Cherry Hill but it was outside my budget. After leaving DC, I later found out that there is a little known park right in the mist of everything. In fact, it's a park ran by the National Park Service. The park is located in suburban Maryland, but it is within twelve miles of Washington, D.C. It's open all year round and the prices are very very reasonable. How about $16 a night. It's called the Greenbelt Park Washington, DC (National Park Service). Check it out at the following link:
> http://www.nps.gov/gree/
> Who knows, if you have a tow car, maybe you can stay at this park and drive to Ocean City on a day trip. By the way, we did notice that parking for cars was not that bad in the vicinity of the National Mall. In fact, we even saw a few small class "C" campers parked on the streets in the area.
> So, map out you trip and plan the places to tour. Walking the Mall takes a lot of time. By all means, check out the Internet for some great walking tour maps. On our next visit, we'll be visiting some of the other areas, of which the DC area has a lot to offer. Be prepared to take lots of pictures, both in and outdoors. During our trip we pre-arranged and therefore had a nice tour of the Capitol and the White House. The grand kids were impressed. Now they brag about being in the White House before President Obama. How cool is that?
> Good Luck,
>
> Rollin
> --- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", Al Scudder > wrote:
> >
> >
> > MY family is headed for DC and then to the shore at Ocean City area up to Rehobeth Beach area.
> >
> >
> >
> > My DC camp will more than likely be the Cherry Hill Camp or the KOA in Millersville, MD (any commnets on these two if you know them) but still looking for the ocean city area. I have found one called Frontier Town but not sure of this place. We do not like to be in Campgrounds that are that are filled with 50 year old trailers that have half rotted in thier place this is not our cup of tea. In fact the resort type places are more our speed.
> >
> >
> >
> > We have only been burned once with KOA but there are none of these on the shore, any input I thank you in advance!
> >
> > Scooter 2000LX Ocqueoc, MI
> >
>

Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2009, 11:17
State of Maryland
Thank for the warning but I did read that yesterday. I still can't remember what that other camp on the shore...something Carrabian in the name

Scooter 2000LX Ocqueoc,MI

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:02:13 +0000

Al,
I couldn't seem to find where to edit my last post, so here's all I was going to say, take a look at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Maryland/Millersville.html

That's the listing for the Capitol KOA. You'll see my review in the older listings, along with several others. The newer reviews indicate this place hasn't gotten any better.

--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "jcmace59" wrote:
>
> Al,
> We "stayed" at the Millersville KOA when we brought our bird home last year. I knew what I was buying and knew that I couldn't realistically park it at my parents's house, so I made a reservation at this KOA, which is essentially right around the corner from the house. I told them I wanted 50A service, full hookups and asked about room for a 42' bus. I MADE SURE they knew I was coming in a 42' bus. I got there and they still tried to put me into a tiny site (no more than 35') in the woods with turns I couldn't even make. I almost got stuck. Then, they finally decided to put me in one of the larger spots, but I'd have to move each day, because somebody else had reserved the spot! Mind you they had SEVERAL empty spots that I would fit into. So then after I'm in one spot, have to move to another; I get everybody walking right through my site, when next to me is an empty site!
>
> I understand this is really the only campground in the area. I would stay in a truckstop before I go back to this KOA again. There is a truckstop a couple of miles north and one a couple of miles south, just in case you decide to not stay here. It was enough that I was wondering what the hell I had just gotten us into buying this RV???? Was this what it was going to be like at everyplace?? Fortunately, the next place we stayed (also happened to be a KOA- due to location only, I would not have picked a KOA), the front desk girl was very good and went to bat for us when a local pizza delivery place tried to give us the run around. She called the manager back, squared him away and got our pizza delivered to the site for essentially half of what we were told originally. Of course, in the middle of the night, an SOB pulls in and parks RIGHT NEXT TO us when there are 30% of the rest of the sites open! My series 60 warmed up for several minutes that morning.
>
> Anyway, if you decide to stay at the Millersville KOA, all the big sites are right in front of the check in building. If they want you to go ANYPLACE else, just do a u-turn and drive to one of the truckstops!!
>
> As far as Frontier Town in Ocean City (I lived in OC for 2 years), it's about 12 or 15 miles south of OC, which is the opposite direction from Rehobeth. Take a look at http://www.treasurebeachrvpark.com. It's between OC and Rehobeth. It may be a better spot. The Ft Whaley site might be better than the Frontier Town, just because you won't really have to get into OC to get to Rehobeth with your bird. You can take 810 north and miss the OC traffic. I just googled "campground & Ocean City Maryland" and got several listings. I don't know anything about any of them, other than location and traffic patterns. Rt 50 from DC to OC is pretty good. There are several places to pull off and traffic will be relatively good- depending on the day and time. There's a pretty good microbrewery in Rehobeth, called Dogfish Head. They've got a restaurant there, though I haven't eaten at it yet.
>
> Good luck on your travels!!
>
> John
>
>
> --- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "Rollin Thunder" > wrote:
> >
> > Hi Al,
> > Congrats! You are going to DC at the right time. We were there last June and July. We attended the DC BBQ fest but we felt like we were the ones being Q'ed. Too hot and humid during that time of the year. Anyway, I was fearful of taking the RV and a tow car into that area. Having worked in and out of that area for 36 years, I know all about the bad driving and parking situation. So, we parked the RV in North Carolina and took Amtrak up to DC. Long ride on the train. It took about 8 hours.
> > Yes, I knew about Cherry Hill but it was outside my budget. After leaving DC, I later found out that there is a little known park right in the mist of everything. In fact, it's a park ran by the National Park Service. The park is located in suburban Maryland, but it is within twelve miles of Washington, D.C. It's open all year round and the prices are very very reasonable. How about $16 a night. It's called the Greenbelt Park Washington, DC (National Park Service). Check it out at the following link:
> > http://www.nps.gov/gree/
> > Who knows, if you have a tow car, maybe you can stay at this park and drive to Ocean City on a day trip. By the way, we did notice that parking for cars was not that bad in the vicinity of the National Mall. In fact, we even saw a few small class "C" campers parked on the streets in the area.
> > So, map out you trip and plan the places to tour. Walking the Mall takes a lot of time. By all means, check out the Internet for some great walking tour maps. On our next visit, we'll be visiting some of the other areas, of which the DC area has a lot to offer. Be prepared to take lots of pictures, both in and outdoors. During our trip we pre-arranged and therefore had a nice tour of the Capitol and the White House. The grand kids were impressed. Now they brag about being in the White House before President Obama. How cool is that?
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Rollin
> > --- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", Al Scudder > wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > MY family is headed for DC and then to the shore at Ocean City area up to Rehobeth Beach area.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > My DC camp will more than likely be the Cherry Hill Camp or the KOA in Millersville, MD (any commnets on these two if you know them) but still looking for the ocean city area. I have found one called Frontier Town but not sure of this place. We do not like to be in Campgrounds that are that are filled with 50 year old trailers that have half rotted in thier place this is not our cup of tea. In fact the resort type places are more our speed.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > We have only been burned once with KOA but there are none of these on the shore, any input I thank you in advance!
> > >
> > > Scooter 2000LX Ocqueoc, MI
> > >
> >
>

04-03-2009, 23:07
State of Maryland
Scooter...the campground in Berlin MD is the Castaways...really nice..Jim Barone fulltiming in Savannah

-----Original Message-----

To: wanderlodgeforum@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 6:17 pm

Subject: RE: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: State of Maryland

Thank for the warning but I did read that yesterday. I still can't remember what that other camp on the shore...something Carrabian in the name

Al,

I couldn't seem to find where to edit my last post, so here's all I was going to say, take a look at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Maryland/Millersville.html

That's the listing for the Capitol KOA. You'll see my review in the older listings, along with several others. The newer reviews indicate this place hasn't gotten any better.

>

> Al,

> We "stayed" at the Millersville KOA when we brought our bird home last year. I knew what I was buying and knew that I couldn't realistically park it at my parents's house, so I made a reservation at this KOA, which is essentially right around the corner from the house. I told them I wanted 50A service, full hookups and asked about room for a 42' bus. I MADE SURE they knew I was coming in a 42' bus. I got there and they still tried to put me into a tiny site (no more than 35') in the woods with turns I couldn't even make. I almost got stuck. Then, they finally decided to put me in one of the larger spots, but I'd have to move each day, because somebody else had reserved the spot! Mind you they had SEVERAL empty spots that I would fit into. So then after I'm in one spot, have to move to another; I get everybody walking right through my site, when next to me is an empty site!

>

> I understand this is really the only campground in the area. I would stay in a truckstop before I go back to this KOA again. There is a truckstop a couple of miles north and one a couple of miles south, just in case you decide to not stay here. It was enough that I was wondering what the hell I had just gotten us into buying this RV???? Was this what it was going to be like at everyplace?? Fortunately, the next place we stayed (also happened to be a KOA- due to location only, I would not have picked a KOA), t he front desk girl was very good and went to bat for us when a local pizza delivery place tried to give us the run around. She called the manager back, squared him away and got our pizza delivered to the site for essentially half of what we were told originally. Of course, in the middle of the night, an SOB pulls in and parks RIGHT NEXT TO us when there are 30% of the rest of the sites open! My series 60 warmed up for several minutes that morning.

>

> Anyway, if you decide to stay at the Millersville KOA, all the big sites are right in front of the check in building. If they want you to go ANYPLACE else, just do a u-turn and drive to one of the truckstops!!

>

> As far as Frontier Town in Ocean City (I lived in OC for 2 years), it's about 12 or 15 miles south of OC, which is the opposite direction from Rehobeth. Take a look at www.treasurebeachrvpark.com. It's between OC and Rehobeth. It may be a better spot. The Ft Whaley site might be better than the Frontier Town, just because you won't really have to get into OC to get to Rehobeth with your bird. You can take 810 north and miss the OC traffic. I just googled "campground & Ocean City Maryland" and got several listings. I don't know anything about any of them, other than location and traffic patterns. Rt 50 from DC to OC is pretty good. There are several places to pull off and traffic will be relatively good- depending on the day and time. There's a pretty good microbrewery in Rehobeth, called Dogfish Head. They've got a restaurant there, though I haven't eaten at it yet.

>

>

> John

>

>

> >

> > Hi Al,

> > Congrats! You are going to DC at the right time. We were there last June and July. We attended the DC BBQ fest but we felt like we were the ones being Q'ed. Too hot an d humid during that time of the year. Anyway, I was fearful of taking the RV and a tow car into that area. Having worked in and out of that area for 36 years, I know all about the bad driving and parking situation. So, we parked the RV in North Carolina and took Amtrak up to DC. Long ride on the train. It took about 8 hours.

> > Yes, I knew about Cherry Hill but it was outside my budget. After leaving DC, I later found out that there is a little known park right in the mist of everything. In fact, it's a park ran by the National Park Service. The park is located in suburban Maryland, but it is within twelve miles of Washington, D.C. It's open all year round and the prices are very very reasonable. How about $16 a night. It's called the Greenbelt Park Washington, DC (National Park Service). Check it out at the following link:

> > Who knows, if you have a tow car, maybe you can stay at this park and drive to Ocean City on a day trip. By the way, we did notice that parking for cars was not that bad in the vicinity of the National Mall. In fact, we even saw a few small class "C" campers parked on the streets in the area.

> > So, map out you trip and plan the places to tour. Walking the Mall takes a lot of time. By all means, check out the Internet for some great walking tour maps. On our next visit, we'll be visiting some of the other areas, of which the DC area has a lot to offer. Be prepared to take lots of pictures, both in and outdoors. During our trip we pre-arranged and therefore had a nice tour of the Capitol and the White House. The grand kids were impressed. Now they brag about being in the White House before President Obama. How cool is that?

> > Good Luck,

> >

> > Rollin

> > >

> > >

& gt; > > MY family is headed for DC and then to the shore at Ocean City area up to Rehobeth Beach area.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > My DC camp will more than likely be the Cherry Hill Camp or the KOA in Millersville, MD (any commnets on these two if you know them) but still looking for the ocean city area. I have found one called Frontier Town but not sure of this place. We do not like to be in Campgrounds that are that are filled with 50 year old trailers that have half rotted in thier place this is not our cup of tea. In fact the resort type places are more our speed.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > We have only been burned once with KOA but there are none of these on the shore, any input I thank you in advance!

> > >

> > >

> >

>

04-04-2009, 05:45
State of Maryland
Yep that is the place. They have a web site and I went there and talked to Brenda she remembers you well as she should.

Since she filled me in on your travels I would like to hear from you off the forum about yourwork routine and it works for you

send me a note at "al_scudder@msn.com" I would be interested.

Scootrer 2000LX Ocqueoc, MI

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:07:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: State of Maryland

Scooter...the campground in Berlin MD is the Castaways...really nice..Jim Barone fulltiming in Savannah

-----Original Message-----
To: wanderlodgeforum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 6:17 pm
Subject: RE: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: State of Maryland

Al,

>
> Al,
>
> I understand this is really the only campground in the area. I would stay in a truckstop before I go back to this KOA again. There is a truckstop a couple of miles north and one a couple of miles south, just in case you decide to not stay here. It was enough that I was wondering what the hell I had just gotten us into buying this RV???? Was this what it was going to be like at everyplace?? Fortunately, the next place we stayed (also happened to be a KOA- due to location only, I would not have picked a KOA), t he front desk girl was very good and went to bat for us when a local pizza delivery place tried to give us the run around. She called the manager back, squared him away and got our pizza delivered to the site for essentially half of what we were told originally. Of course, in the middle of the night, an SOB pulls in and parks RIGHT NEXT TO us when there are 30% of the rest of the sites open! My series 60 warmed up for several minutes that morning.
>
>
> As far as Frontier Town in Ocean City (I lived in OC for 2 years), it's about 12 or 15 miles south of OC, which is the opposite direction from Rehobeth. Take a look at www.treasurebeachrvpark.com. It's between OC and Rehobeth. It may be a better spot. The Ft Whaley site might be better than the Frontier Town, just because you won't really have to get into OC to get to Rehobeth with your bird. You can take 810 north and miss the OC traffic. I just googled "campground & Ocean City Maryland" and got several listings. I don't know anything about any of them, other than location and traffic patterns. Rt 50 from DC to OC is pretty good. There are several places to pull off and traffic will be relatively good- depending on the day and time. There's a pretty good microbrewery in Rehobeth, called Dogfish Head. They've got a restaurant there, though I haven't eaten at it yet.
>
>
> John
>
>
> >
> > Hi Al,
> > Congrats! You are going to DC at the right time. We were there last June and July. We attended the DC BBQ fest but we felt like we were the ones being Q'ed. Too hot an d humid during that time of the year. Anyway, I was fearful of taking the RV and a tow car into that area. Having worked in and out of that area for 36 years, I know all about the bad driving and parking situation. So, we parked the RV in North Carolina and took Amtrak up to DC. Long ride on the train. It took about 8 hours.
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Rollin
> > >
> > >
& gt; > > MY family is headed for DC and then to the shore at Ocean City area up to Rehobeth Beach area.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)