Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musical horn module
02-17-2009, 05:15
Musical horn module
It might not be the fuse or the module. Check the speakers on the roof. They're out in the weather and take a terrible environmental beating. The P.O. of my coach replaced the speakers (with a pair from Radio Shack) -- he said the horn wasn't working when he got the coach.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:37 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Hi guys,

My musical horn does not work either and I have also been trying to locate it. This is great info. Thanks for exploring it. I have a 1995 WLWB 42" and I am hoping that the module is also located at the same place as you guys.

Another question. where is the fuse located for this device if it has one?

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
1995 WLWB 42'
("cockyfox@sbcglobal.net")

--- OnMon, 2/16/09, Fred Hulse<"fhulse@wildblue.net">wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Musical horn module
To:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 9:20 PM

Hey Eric,
Thank you for the location,
I just went out and waded through a/c ducting and other things under there and located it!
Tomorrow I will see how to get it out successfully.
Missed you guys @ Quartzsite.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41

Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2009, 05:31
Musical horn module
The front load center is covered by a _fiberglas_ panel and held in place with a couple dozen screws. Danger -- the "screws" are not screws, but are 1/4 turn spring loaded connecters. Turning them with a power screw driver can/will break them, causing a headache to replace same. (Please don't ask how I happen to know this.) To unlock the fasteners, push in and turn counter clockwise, then release. It should pop out about 1/3 inch, but will not fall out (unless the fastener is partially broken).
When you remove the cover, be sure to take care in handling it -- it's not that heavy, but it is awkward to work with. A breezy day is not a good day to fuss with it. Dropping it can chip the paint on the edge. Check the quality of the insulating rubber strip around the perimeter. It's intended to eliminate/reduce water entry during rainy travel. I found it necessary to remove the old and apply a fresh strip obtained from a hardware store.
I made a list of all the fuses and relays in the front load center that I could identify (from the wiring diagrams I have) that you can download from
-- file is second from the bottom titled "LOAD_CENTER-FRT_95WL42.pdf"
A '95 'bird also has a load center in the rear closet, street side. There is also a "stealth" load center _behind_ the overhead cabinets at the front of the coach above the windshield (inside). The interior backs of the cabinets are removable -- and there are a bunch of fuses, etc.
My spouse had managed to blow the fuse for the power passenger seat by twiddling several of the power controls at the same time. I spent weeks trying to trace the power source and only discovered it when I replaced my 'flying saucer' TV antenna and had to poke behind the cabinets for some of the wires -- and (lo, and behold) there was a whole 'nother power center with the blown fuse serving the passenger seat...
Sorry, I have never been able to make similar lists of fuses/relays for the overhead or rear power center -- but I've found that 95% of the fuse/electrical issues end up in the front center.

===============================================

Pete Masterson, Author of

Book Design and Production: A Guide for Authors and Publishers

"Aeonix1@Mac.com"

Aeonix Publishing Group http://www.aeonix.com

===============================================

On Feb 17, 2009, at 7:05 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Fred,

Thanks for that info. Now to show my ignorance about everything on this coach. Where exactly is the outside front load center you are talking about? Is that the one on the front of the coach where you have to take the sheet metal panel off? No electrical info was in the blue box when I bought this coach from an RV dealer. I suspect that the techs that worked for them extracted all the schematics and drawings from the Blue Box.

I appreciate your help.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- OnTue, 2/17/09, Fred Hulse<"fhulse@wildblue.net">wrote:
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 8:53 AM

Hi Ron
The fuse is labeled#50 outsidein the front load center.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41

02-17-2009, 08:19
Musical horn module
Pete,

Thanks for that information. You are veritable pool of knowledge and always take the time to carefully explain things. Don't ever leave the forum, even if you sell your Bluebird. Too bad I just bought one a year and a half ago. I would jump on yours.

Thanks again.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Pete Masterson wrote:
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:31 AM

The front load center is covered by a _fiberglas_ panel and held in place with a couple dozen screws. Danger -- the "screws" are not screws, but are 1/4 turn spring loaded connecters. Turning them with a power screw driver can/will break them, causing a headache to replace same. (Please don't ask how I happen to know this.) To unlock the fasteners, push in and turn counter clockwise, then release. It should pop out about 1/3 inch, but will not fall out (unless the fastener is partially broken).

When you remove the cover, be sure to take care in handling it -- it's not that heavy, but it is awkward to work with. A breezy day is not a good day to fuss with it. Dropping it can chip the paint on the edge. Check the quality of the insulating rubber strip around the perimeter. It's intended to eliminate/reduce water entry during rainy travel. I found it necessary to remove the old and apply a fresh strip obtained from a
hardware store.
I made a list of all the fuses and relays in the front load center that I could identify (from the wiring diagrams I have) that you can download from
-- file is second from the bottom titled "LOAD_CENTER- FRT_95WL42. pdf"
A '95 'bird also has a load center in the rear closet, street side. There is also a "stealth" load center _behind_ the overhead cabinets at the front of the coach above the windshield (inside). The interior backs of the cabinets are removable -- and there are a bunch of fuses, etc.
My spouse had managed to blow the fuse for the power passenger seat by twiddling several of the power controls at the same time. I spent weeks trying to trace the power source and only discovered it when I replaced
my 'flying saucer' TV antenna and had to poke behind the cabinets for some of the wires -- and (lo, and behold) there was a whole 'n!
other po
wer center with the blown fuse serving the passenger seat...
Sorry, I have never been able to make similar lists of fuses/relays for the overhead or rear power center -- but I've found that 95% of the fuse/electrical issues end up in the front center.

============ ========= ========= ========= ========

Pete Masterson, Author of

Book Design and Production: A Guide for Authors and Publishers

"Aeonix1@Mac.com"

Aeonix Publishing Group http://www.aeonix. com

============ ========= ========= ========= ========

On Feb 17, 2009, at 7:05 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Fred,

Thanks for that info.
Now to show my ignorance about everything on this coach. Where exactly is the outside front load center you are talking about? Is that the one on the front!
of the coach where you have to take the sheet metal panel off? No electrical info was in the blue box when I bought this coach from an RV dealer. I suspect that the techs that worked for them extracted all the schematics and drawings from the Blue Box.

I appreciate your help.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- OnTue, 2/17/09, Fred Hulse<"fhulse@wildblue.net">wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re:
Musical horn module
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 8:53 AM

Hi Ron
The fuse is labeled#50 outsidein the front load center.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41

02-17-2009, 08:21
Musical horn module
Pete,

Thats very true Pete, I will check those speakers out. Matter of fact I feel that might be the problem.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Pete Masterson wrote:
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

It might not be the fuse or the module. Check the speakers on the roof. They're out in the weather and take a terrible environmental beating. The P.O. of my coach replaced the speakers (with a pair from Radio Shack) -- he said the horn wasn't working when he got the coach.

Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:37 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

Hi guys,

My musical horn does not work either and I have also been t!
rying to
locate it. This is great info. Thanks for exploring it. I have a 1995 WLWB 42" and I am hoping that the module is also located at the same place as you guys.

Another question. where is the fuse located for this device if it has one?

1995 WLWB 42'

--- OnMon, 2/16/09, Fred Hulse<"fhulse@wildblue.net">wrote:
Subject: Re:
[WanderlodgeForum] Re: Musical horn module
Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 9:20 PM

Hey Eric,
Thank you for the location,
I just went out and waded through a/c ducting and other things under there and located it!
Tomorrow I will see how to get it out successfully.
Missed you guys @ Quartzsite.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge
WLWB41

02-18-2009, 03:33
Musical horn module

I believe Kurt Horvath has copied all his prints on a CD and has it available for sale.
He has a 95 and would be more like your needs.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
02-18-2009, 06:21
Musical horn module
Fred.

Yes, I got one of Kurt's Cd's, however, I am at my lakehouse at the moment and don't have accesss to it. Its back at home base. I am sure Kurt has a drawing on there that will have the data on the musical horn. It seems that just about everything is there. Huge amount of data to sort through to find anything. Kurt's index helped a lot in finding things.

I have not looked for the musical horn though.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, Fred Hulse wrote:
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 9:33 AM

I believe Kurt Horvath has copied all his prints on a CD and has it available for sale.
He has a 95 and would be more like your needs.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
02-18-2009, 17:15
Musical horn module
In order to check the roof top speakers out: Disconnect (cut) the
speaker wire on the roof and put a 1.5 volt, D or C cell across the
wires. You should hear a crackle. If you do not, it's time for a new
speaker.

Incidentally, I purchased my two speakers from PMMI. They gave me a
great price and they happened to be color coordinated with my roof as
an added bonus.

Also, it is great fun to have your horn programmed with tunes that
suit you. Several years ago it cost $125. I had fun selecting the
tunes and the cows seem to enjoy the tunes I play for them. It's a
nice diversion.

Eric Perplies
96 42 WBWL
currently in Fredericksburg, TX
02-22-2009, 03:08
Musical horn module
The speakers are/were made by Electrovoice and were also carried by Radio Shack. Just scratch the wires to the battery for the resultant basic test. If you hold the wire on there it will just go click. You can hook it to your pocket mp3 player or transistor too. Any similar re-entrant horn design will work for this as an emergency replacement. A quality speaker will perform very poorly. The horn module does not exactly put out real "audio" as you might think. It is a square wave that makes use of the horn/speaker design for tone and volume.
Gary Minker

--- On Thu, 2/19/09, Eric Perplies wrote:
[WanderlodgeForum] Re: Musical horn module
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 12:15 AM

In order to check the roof top speakers out: Disconnect (cut) the

speaker wire on the roof and put a 1.5 volt, D or C cell across the

wires. You should hear a crackle. If you do not, it's time for a new

speaker.

Incidentally, I purchased my two speakers from PMMI. They gave me a

great price and they happened to be color coordinated with my roof as

an added bonus.

Also, it is great fun to have your horn programmed with tunes that

suit you. Several years ago it cost $125. I had fun selecting the

tunes and the cows seem to enjoy the tunes I play for them. It's a

nice diversion.

Eric Perplies

96 42 WBWL

currently in Fredericksburg, TX

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)