Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Heaters
02-18-2013, 19:12
Electric Heaters
Tela and I just spent a few days in the coach in Las Vegas. The nites were cool enough that a little heat was needed. Since we were hooked to shore power, I decided to use the electric baseboard heaters instead of the hydronic heat.

In the bathroom over the vanity are two thermostats, one labeled for electric heat and one labeled for hydronic heat. The M380 has two baseboard electric heaters, one is under the bathroom vanity and one is under the laundry closet doors. The electric thermostat will turn on the heater below the laundry closet doors but does not turn on the heater under the vanity. That heater under the vanity is connected to a solid state relay (I think that is what it is) located on the wall under the vanity. It appears that this relay is activated by a signal from a thermostat to close the 120V contacts and direct power to the heater. There is 120V at that relay coming from the bath elec heat breaker in the bedroom load center.

My reason for describing the above is that I cannot find a separate thermostat for that heater. I’m in hopes that someone can tell me if it is controlled off the same thermostat that controls the other heater under the laundry closet doors or is there a separate thermostat for it somewhere that I can’t find?

If both heaters are controlled by the same thermostat; does anyone know why the thermostat is able to send a signal to one heater but not the other as there is no control power at the relay with the thermostat turned all the way up.

Chuck

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 20:59 (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 21:04 by cmillsap.)
RE: Electric Heaters
(02-18-2013 19:12)cmillsap Wrote:  Tela and I just spent a few days in the coach in Las Vegas. The nites were cool enough that a little heat was needed. Since we were hooked to shore power, I decided to use the electric baseboard heaters instead of the hydronic heat.

In the bathroom over the vanity are two thermostats, one labeled for electric heat and one labeled for hydronic heat. The M380 has two baseboard electric heaters, one is under the bathroom vanity and one is under the laundry closet doors. The electric thermostat will turn on the heater below the laundry closet doors but does not turn on the heater under the vanity. That heater under the vanity is connected to a solid state relay (I think that is what it is) located on the wall under the vanity. It appears that this relay is activated by a signal from a thermostat to close the 120V contacts and direct power to the heater. There is 120V at that relay coming from the bath elec heat breaker in the bedroom load center.

My reason for describing the above is that I cannot find a separate thermostat for that heater. I’m in hopes that someone can tell me if it is controlled off the same thermostat that controls the other heater under the laundry closet doors or is there a separate thermostat for it somewhere that I can’t find?

If both heaters are controlled by the same thermostat; does anyone know why the thermostat is able to send a signal to one heater but not the other as there is no control power at the relay with the thermostat turned all the way up.
BTW, the relay I mentioned above is indeed a 120VAC Solid State Relay operated by 12VDC signal from the thermostat.
Chuck

Well.....It seems to never fail with me. I can find the problem AFTER posting but not before. The thermostat in the bath does indeed control both heaters. I traced the problem to the heater itself. There is a little component in the heater that I don’t know what it is but it does not let the current past through it. It’s the little round white thangamagig in the center of the pic with the O53111 #s on it. Jumping it allows the heater to function.

Anyone know what this is? Is it replaceable or do I just need to get a new heater? This is a Cadet Model UC heater. I guess I should call the manufacturer.

Chuck

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
02-18-2013, 21:09
(02-18-2013 20:59)cmillsap Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 19:12)cmillsap Wrote:  Tela and I just spent a few days in the coach in Las Vegas. The nites were cool enough that a little heat was needed. Since we were hooked to shore power, I decided to use the electric baseboard heaters instead of the hydronic heat.

BTW, the relay I mentioned above is indeed a 120VAC Solid State Relay operated by 12VDC signal from the thermostat.
Chuck

Well.....It seems to never fail with me. I can find the problem AFTER posting but not before. The thermostat in the bath does indeed control both heaters. I traced the problem to the heater itself. There is a little component in the heater that I don’t know what it is but it does not let the current past through it. It’s the little round white thangamagig in the center of the pic with the O53111 #s on it. Jumping it allows the heater to function.

Anyone know what this is? Is it replaceable or do I just need to get a new heater? This is a Cadet Model UC heater. I guess I should call the manufacturer.

Chuck

That look's like a thermostat to me!
02-18-2013, 22:35 (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 22:37 by davidbrady.)
Yes, it's a snap disc thermostat. Available at lots of places including Graingers. Sometimes these Cadet's can get loaded up with lint and overheat. The snap disc then triggers shutting off the AC power.

Well Chuck, I'm glad you got it sorted out and thanks for taking us along for the ride! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
02-18-2013, 22:37 (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 22:50 by Ms. Bee.)

Chuck,

I do not know if this is the solution to your problem or not, as we have different kinds of Birds, but the heating system is complicated and confusing because of all the options.

Our aquahot started to smoke so we stopped using it until we can get it serviced.

We also have two heat strips, one in the bathroom/closet/hallway area and one in the bedroom.

The two thermostats, like you have in the bathroom, one for the heat strip and one for the aquahot. We also have a thermostat above the dining table, right below the controls with the modes, zones, heat and a/c.

Unless I first turn on the later above the dining table, with the zones , 1 salon, 2 bathroom area, 3 bedroom, to the heat strip' mode, then the thermostats will not turn on. The thermostats only control the temp you choose. At least on our coach.

Additionally we have for zone 3 the bedroom a furnace option setting under the modes.

So check to see whether on your control panel above the dining table that it is set in the 'heat strip' mode, then try your thermostat.

Your coach may or may not be the same as ours and with 3 different types of heating to choose from it's gets really confusing. I'm only now after a year or so and in Florida, beginning to get a handle on it. Thank goodness as last night at Bluebird's Blueberry Farm it dropped down to a brisk 23 degrees F.

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-18-2013, 23:50 (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 23:50 by cmillsap.)
(02-18-2013 22:35)davidmbrady Wrote:  Yes, it's a snap disc thermostat. Available at lots of places including Graingers. Sometimes these Cadet's can get loaded up with lint and overheat. The snap disc then triggers shutting off the AC power.

Well Chuck, I'm glad you got it sorted out and thanks for taking us along for the ride! Smile

Well..... maybe we all learned a little bit about our heaters. I'm happy to see that BB went to the solid state relays in the circuits. My LXi had the old traditional relays with the open contacts in those circuits.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
02-19-2013, 15:59 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 16:02 by pgchin.)
A tip for those running Webasco's or Aquahots with "bay" heater thermostats. If it's going to be very cold, make sure your bay thermostats are set to about 55 degree's. It will heat the Bays, tanks AND ENTIRE floor of the bus!!!!!Tongue Its like having heated flooring in the bus!!! Donna loves warm floors on cold days and so do the dogs!!!!!!!! Also, if you have those termostat setups where the kitchen electric heaters and Aquahot heater is directly right across from the thermostat, you may need to deflect the air going to the thermostat as the direct heat from the heaters causes the thermostat to "think" it's satisfied and causes it to constantly short cycle. Do NOT ask me how I know this in 20 degree weather in the Blue Ridge mountains!Angel

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
02-19-2013, 16:07 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 16:09 by davidbrady.)
Good tips Pete. I agree about the warm interior floors - a very nice unintended consequence!

Eight years ago when I bought my LXi, I noticed that my bedroom AC short cycled because the vented conditioned air aims directly at the Dometic remote temperature sensor. I quickly grabbed a sock, wadded it up, and stuffed it in the vent to defect the air flow... that sock's still there! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
02-20-2013, 01:23
(02-19-2013 16:07)davidmbrady Wrote:  Good tips Pete. I agree about the warm interior floors - a very nice unintended consequence!

Eight years ago when I bought my LXi, I noticed that my bedroom AC short cycled because the vented conditioned air aims directly at the Dometic remote temperature sensor. I quickly grabbed a sock, wadded it up, and stuffed it in the vent to defect the air flow... that sock's still there! Smile

Leroy A. Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
02-20-2013, 02:57
in my 90 i replaced all the electric cadet heaters. they are notorious for getting lint in and can catch fire easily. in fact there was a recall on them a few years ago.

you can get them at lowes btw. at least some of them. or online. they are easy to find. i found that the new ones might be a slightly different size. one was exact replacement and a couple of others required some "fitting"

tom

2002 Two Slide Newell Coach 608 DD Series 60, Allison 6 speed

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)