Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA???
06-21-2008, 10:06
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA???
Alright Pete, it has been 40 years since I did my college chemistry classes and I have not done a damn thing with it since.
I have a question; don't mean to get into a chemistry class on the forum; just interested in something.
If finished bio-diesel has a published average formula of C19H36O2 and average common diesel has a formula of C12H23 how is bio-diesel better for the air we breath? Does something happen in the combustion chamber?? Are the farmers stroking me?? CH4 is clean so to speak.

Leroy Eckert
1990 WB-40 Royale
Dahlonega, GA
Smoke N Mirrors

--- On Sat, 6/21/08, Pete Masterson wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: WHY DON'T
WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA???
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 4:59 PM

Yes, I was confused by the "autogas" thing. I thought it was CNG. However most of the points still apply, although LPG is slightly heavier per gallon.

Natural gas is primarily methane (CH4) (with small amounts of a panoply of more complex gases -- butane, propane, etc.) while LPG is a mixture of various gases with the major component being either (or both) butane (C4H10) or/and propane (C3H8). Natural gas, being primarily methane, is considered a very clean fossil fuel due to the small carbon content (1 atom for every 4 hydrogen) as it produces the least CO2 per unit of weight of any in this class of fossil fuel.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jun 21, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Steve Pfiffner wrote:

There seems to be some confusion, CNG (compressed natural gas) and LPG
(evidently called Autogas in
Australia and butane/propane in the US) are not really the same thing.
Steve
Wannabee
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA??? - Leroy Eckert - 06-21-2008 10:06

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)