Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amarillo, TX to Lamar, CO via US 287 RV Parks?
05-10-2008, 06:31

Liz, have traveled 287 a lot of times. I have stayed in Dumas on the east side. Can't remember the name. Nice place. Dalhart is a little out of your way if you are going up 287.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2008, 10:27
Howdy, Y'all.

Next Tuesday we leave Holiday Park cg on Lake Benbrook, TX to travel to
Buena Vista, CO. If you have stayed at any RV park along US 287( or
nearby) between Amarillo, TX and Lamar, CO, please let us know the good,
bad or ugly. Has anyone stayed at Corral RV Park in Dalhart, TX?

TIA,
Liz

Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce
Fulltiming in a 1993 Wanderlodge WB40
05-10-2008, 13:18
We took that same general route (US-87, US-287, I-27, etc.) from Kerrville, via Lubbock, Amarillo, and Lamar to Denver in early December. The roads are good, mostly 2 lane with good stretches of freeway/4 lane divided highway in the Texas pan handle. Once you get north of Texas, the road is a 2-lane "half freeway"-- the road is built to freeway standards, but is only 2 lands (concrete, wide shoulders, etc.) most of the way.
We stayed in Lubbock at "Lubbock RV Park" 4811 North I-27, exit 9 (near the Lubbock airport). Kind of an OK but not great Park -- certainly adequate for an overnight stop. We were at the back of the park and it was quiet (off the highway) and there was very little air traffic from the airport, so no real bother there. Not a place for a long stay -- most certainly not a resort -- but decent enough for an overnight. I'd stay there again, if the timing occurred that way again. 50 amps, full hookup. ($23.40 w GS discount.)
On a different trip, we spent the night at a Walmart parking lot in Amarillo. It was a very windy night, rocking the coach most of the time -- so it wasn't very restful or pleasant. Freeway noise wasn't a problem because of the noise of the wind -- indeed, I couldn't hear the generator running when I was at the back of the coach in the bedroom due to the noise of the wind blowing. Did I say it was windy?
Amarillo has a Flying J on I-40 east of where US 87 crosses. It's a busy station -- we've filled there twice on different trips.
Stayed in Lamar, CO at Country Acres Motel and RV Park.  It was very dusty and the water faucet at the assigned spot didn't work (but I used a longer hose to the spigot in an adjacent spot). Nearly empty when we stayed there. They advertise cable TV, but the cable service had gone bankrupt (that says something about Lamar). Again, it was OK for the night. 50 Amp power, full hookup. Didn't match receipt to the location map/flyer, so don't recall what we paid. We arrived late and left early, so the lack of amenities wasn't an issue.
Didn't stop or stay at Dalhart -- have no recollection of the town at all, now.

Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On May 10, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Jack and Liz Pearce wrote:

Howdy, Y'all.
Next Tuesday we leave Holiday Park cg on Lake Benbrook, TX to travel to
Buena Vista, CO.  If you have stayed at any RV park along US 287( or
nearby) between Amarillo, TX and Lamar, CO, please let us know the good,
bad or ugly.   Has anyone stayed at Corral RV Park in Dalhart, TX?
05-10-2008, 15:31
Ernie,

I noticed the "It'll do Motel" in Clarendon got a new sign. I'd like to stay there some night just to say I did. To try to add something to this thread, there are several motels in small Texas towns that have a couple RV hookups out back but you have to stop and ask.

BradBarton00LXiDFW bbartonwx@...

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 18:31:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Amarillo, TX to Lamar, CO via US 287 RV Parks?

Liz, have traveled 287 a lot of times. I have stayed in Dumas on the east side. Can't remember the name. Nice place. Dalhart is a little out of your way if you are going up 287.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!
05-10-2008, 20:51

I saw quite a few on my travels to and from Montana. Some of them looked really tight to get into.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)