Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone here chained up there bus to go into snow or ice conditions?
11-01-2020, 18:18 (This post was last modified: 11-01-2020 18:22 by Itchintogo.)
RE: Has anyone here chained up there bus to go into snow or ice conditions?
You can buy what they call triples or singles.
1. Triples have three main chains one on the outside of the outside dual, one that runs around the space in between the duals and one that runs around the inside of the inside dual. Of course the crosslinks go over the tire tread surface. Singles just go around the outside dual. Just one tire. If you have lots of money you can buy automatic chains that install on your bus and you press a button and with air pressure it comes down and spins a circle of chain that you keep running over until you disengage it.
2. It will handle the same except thumpety thump. You don't go fast with chains on.
3. Depends on your location. Sometimes a truck dealer like Freightliner will have them or Acklands aka industrial supply places.
4. Depends on what you buy. There are lighter weight versions that cost more money. That is what I like. If you think your going sling a set of regular triples over your duals on the side of the road in the snow and slush you better be strong and dont mind getting soaked.

I would practice in a shop first chaining up in a shop to get a feel for it. Just tell the people who look at you funny that you know something they don't. LOL. Do put them on after you buy them to make sure they fit...... don't ask me how I know this. If you buy singles you can't get a ticket because you have fulfilled the requirements. I have never chained up an RV only big trucks in the Canadian Rockies and not often. Best to avoid these conditions wait till the snow plow goes by and give it 25 minutes. My policy would be to pay another night in the campground and go when the weather clears. There is no way I would chain up a bus at this stage of the game. Most buses dont chain up anyway as they are not pulling much weight they are carrying it. P.S. Stay out of the truckers way they have their hands full in these conditions and are dealing with far more weight than a bus.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone here chained up there bus to go into snow or ice conditions? - Itchintogo - 11-01-2020 18:18
Travel Insurance - Urnie-Medie - 12-08-2020, 14:56

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)