Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
450 thoughts
04-13-2013, 19:38 (This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 19:39 by Arcticdude.)
450 thoughts
Would you 450 owners mind giving others your thoughts on your 450? Things you like, don't like, etc. What about why you chose to buy a 450 over other comparable products? If you could change something about your coach, what would it be?

Thanks!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Arcticdude's post
04-13-2013, 21:36
RE: 450 thoughts
Arctidude, I'm glad you asked. We had a great 2001 LX but it did not drive like the 450. The way it drove sold me, The look, the extra room, the galley, bathrooms, the lay out, sold my wife. We've enjoyed the coach for 8 years and 57,000 miles. Yes, we have had some issues and so far the people at the factory, Holland Motors (Holland) and Parliament have kept "Ruffled Feathers running great.
The 450 owners group is very supportive and always willing to help. We look forward to many more years and many more miles of enjoyment in our Bird...........the Lord willing.

Jack and Ila VanDenBerg
Glenn, Mi. 49416
M 450
Ruffled Feathers
[+] 1 user Likes jackvdb@gmail.com's post
04-13-2013, 21:48
Thank you for the quick response, Jack! Of the issues you've experienced, have any been recurring? If you were to change anything about yours, what might that be? Of the several I've seen, they were all outstanding coaches. I haven't gotten the chance to drive one yet. Maybe someday.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
04-13-2013, 22:55
(04-13-2013 21:48)Arcticdude Wrote:  Thank you for the quick response, Jack! Of the issues you've experienced, have any been recurring? If you were to change anything about yours, what might that be? Of the several I've seen, they were all outstanding coaches. I haven't gotten the chance to drive one yet. Maybe someday.
Arcticdued,

I liked the 450 from the first time I saw one at the factory in 2004. We had a non slide 2001 lx and it gave us great service for 10 years. When we decided to go to a coach with a slide it was time to look at the 450. You just can’t beat the ride, drive, and the room this coach provides. It gives you that solid feel you only get from a bus. We have owned it for two years now and have put 15,000 miles on it . The only negative to me is the Webasto heater. I like the Aqua hot system much better.
[+] 1 user Likes G.Kirby's post
04-13-2013, 23:33
Garland,

Do all the 450's have the Webasto? Thanks for your input!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
04-14-2013, 11:40
Hi,
My vote would be that they do. I just started to look at the Webasto system before the coach was taken. The manual is generic I believe and I don't think we have some of the "options". See the "Heating " section in the manual posted on the site. There is no separate water system as it uses the engine coolant.
I found it frustrating that the entire engine and rad was also heated whenever you wanted the interior of the coach heated. It also ran the burner when on the road. I left the Webasto on one cool morning and drove throught the CA mountains. Coming down Montazuma hill, we pulled over for a view. I walked beside the coach and the burner came on. I surmise that the rad cooled during the descent and the webasto came on to re-heat it.. Just dumb.
I never got to look for the main board and the "lights". Apparently BB did some modifications to my Webasto when it was first taken to Fort Valley. My pictures show some plumbing changes ,but I have no idea what.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
04-14-2013, 12:30
Ross,

What do you think of your coach, outside of the initial (and on going) fiasco?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
04-14-2013, 15:30
An answer to the question is difficult. We bought it for many reasons that are still valid. Sadly ,it is easier and shorter to look at the negative. It is not what was advertised, promised, warrantied or what I thought we bought :hence the fraud verdicts and the safety issues. To be a great coach, it needs a 19,000 to 20,000 GAWR front axle (requiring new sub frame,steering and brakes.) Webasto set up is questionable, slide out system weird (27 volts and weak air lock system).

Ross

(04-14-2013 12:30)Arcticdude Wrote:  Ross,

What do you think of your coach, outside of the initial (and on going) fiasco?

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
04-14-2013, 17:46
That's still great info! I appreciate your candor.

Thanks!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
04-14-2013, 20:06
Articdude,
Re: 450
We were fortunate to have 3 years of factory warranty service and use of Birds nest to get service and meet other owners.
If I were to change any thing it would have been the owners manual. This 10# binder was very inadequate. There was a great deal of generic information and very little specific to the 450. On a 1 to 10 I'd give it a 3. Now that I've owned a 450 for several years I'm sure if I wrote a manual it would at least earn a rating of 5.

Jack and Ila VanDenBerg
Glenn, Mi. 49416
M 450
Ruffled Feathers
[+] 1 user Likes jackvdb@gmail.com's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)