Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquahot Antifreeze Leak
04-04-2013, 12:08
RE: Aquahot Antifreeze Leak
[/font]
(04-03-2013 20:38)davidmbrady Wrote:  Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I got in there and had a good look around. I think you're right John, it has to come out. The loop is pressed against the filler neck. To get a good solder connection a fair amount of conductive paste will need to be removed and the only way to do that is to remove the box from the bus. This will be my second time so it should be a little easier. So what's up with these early models? Why can't AH find a way to attach the filler necks reliably?
David,

The filler neck is steel, the cap goes into a brass cup that has the ears the cap cams into, to hold it on. It is soldered on to the steel filler tube. You may be able to just torch it and the solder may take and solve your problem, then again it may not. There is very little structurally that can go wrong, the weak link is the cup for filler cap and I would speculate that has been a little money maker for Aquahot. As they claim there is no fix or service for anything inside the boiler area, I think that’s why they rivet it together instead of using screws. They don't want you in there, other than a catastrophic failure the only thing that is fragile is the cup soldered onto the filer neck. I bought a new one from Aquahot, but any parts supply house has these parts they are just stock radiator parts. I did completely rebuild my Aquahot, as far as I know nobody else went as far as I did, I did it because Aquahot wanted $9900.00 for a reman, and before they would ship it, they demanded that my old core be on their loading dock to complete the transaction. Not very good customer service IMO. Pulling this beast is a PITA if you do drain all fluids it will cut total weight by 1/2 down to 150 lbs+- drill out the rivets and lift off the cover, this should get you enough access to re solder the cup. You most likely will not be impressed with the insulation. It just pink spun fiberglass, like they use in between the studs in the walls of your house. The tech told me just run down to the big box store and buy some r-19 pink stuff. I used Cerra-Blanket used to insulate ovens and other industrial applications, I have lots of it if you need any. By the way Pete, nobody has ever accused me of being; "SHY", too funnyBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Aquahot Antifreeze Leak - davidbrady - 04-03-2013, 09:40
RE: Aquahot Antifreeze Leak - pgchin - 04-03-2013, 10:49
RE: Aquahot Antifreeze Leak - Bumpersbird - 04-04-2013 12:08

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)