Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter Minders for Dummies
03-27-2013, 15:30 (This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 17:31 by pgchin.)
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies
FWIW, for those interested in hop up SOLUTIONS and a little FACTUAL information for small diesel engines, take a peak hear:
http://www.bankspower.com/products

Dial up power and efficiency systems in the left navigator and and then select the "git kit" the most economical kit price wise they have for any engine they support. Notice it has EXHAUST parts and ECM tuning parameters, these are ALL turbo diesels and NO AIR filter upgrades to K&N UNTIL you go to a higher cost kit and change more parts, then does air inlet become an issue along with more ECM tuning, a newer turbo, newer bigger CAC for cooler air, etc. They START with exhaust and ECM, then add AIR INLET LATER FOR MORE BUCKS.

My point, simply GAS OR DIESEL, they are ALL AIR PUMPS AND THE SAME, how they are feed and controlled both air and fuel mixture, yes very different, but they are ALL air pumps. They also HOP UP the same WAY from an engineering principles standpoint! Different parts to get you there yes, but the same engineering principles can be applied to ALL ENGINES, BIG or SMALL!WinkIdea Engineering principles exist solely to define the behavior patterns of a use case scenario like AN ENGINE. It's called PHYSICS! Although you can have various use cases (types of engines) its engineering design principles are common to all use cases of a family or quite simply it is NOT AN ENGINE. That's how physics defines the UNIVERSE and structures sound engineering principles and guidelines.
Now, I know the membership could probably care less about small diesel engine hop ups, BUT here is a perfect example of an engineering company that took SOUND engineering principles, spent a lot of dough to get this off the ground and now makes BIG BUCKS. With 1 million s60's on the road, you can bet that there are guys in the mid west and elsewhere that could do this for you on the s60 if you so desire and had deep pockets. My point, NO ONE starts with air inlets on a diesel hop up. Later, YES, but NOT first and only! Stock Diesels breath JUST FINE!Angel And if you look at the types of diesel engines Banks supports and added up how many are on the road from a marketing potential / selling user base potential standpoint, you can bet your bippie that its way more than a million engine install base and they are killin it! :-)

Here's another example of engines being based on all the same engineering design principles that hit birders a little closer to home irrespective of fuel choice. When Coachworks took over the factory from Ceribus they changed engine configurations to Cummin's from CAT C-13's. When I toured the build line of Wanderlodges and commercial buses, 3 favors were being built. High and lower HP diesel buses and natural gas. The lead engineer told me they issued a RFQ (request for price quote) to suppliers. They wanted an engine that could use either natural gas or diesel. They wanted NO HARDWARE changes, the SAME HARDWARE CONFIGURATION ( ENGINE PARTS). They wanted to make use of the ECM programming / tuning to handle the various hp configurations and fuel types. Cummin's was chosen. See, sound engineering principles applied to a use case resulting in product for sale to a vendor! The engine hardware was IDENTICAL. The ECM's were programmed on the line based on bus choice. Now, the ONLY hardware change was the high HP diesel cummins they put in the wanderlodge and it was 1 part! :-0....... they wanted Wanderlodge owners to feel special so they put a Chrome valve cover on it to look cool!!!!!!!!! :-) BTW, the air inlets for all 3 models were EXACTLY THE SAME whether it was high or low HP diesel or natural gas..............

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies - pgchin - 03-27-2013 15:30

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)