Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches
12-21-2013, 10:01
RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches
Definitely not a BB job. The cables looked like spaghetti and were unprotected. The battery cables were connected wrong. It drove me nuts. The big, round, plastic switch BB used in most coaches was intended as a marine battery A,B, A+B selector and a misapplication for several reasons. I used Cole-Hersee switches which is what Parliament used to use when they converted Prevosts, so probably good enough for me....

The fuse holders were another trip. I tried two different manufacturers and neither fit the BB fuses. You have to be careful to get the same hole spacing. I wound up by getting new fuses. Pricey little fellows, they are. I bought all this stuff through Parliament as I was experimenting, but online will save you bucks.

Here are the parts:

The fuses are Blue Sea Systems p/n 5118, a 250 amp Class T fuse. The fuse holders are also Blue Seas. Sorry, no part numbers were on the parts. Another manufacturer was slightly larger, but in that space, smaller is better.

The shutoff switch is a Cole-Hersee 2PST p/n 75908. Switch is good for continuous 300 amps, and 2000 amps for 30 seconds.

In the ’95, the chassis batteries were wired to one post, but a smaller wire was wired to another post, directly from the battery, to give cleaner power to the ECM. This was changed to wire the second post through a double pole shutoff switch so that the battery bank may be completely disconnected. Cole-Hersee 2PST p/n 75907. Good for continuous 300 amps, 2000 amps for 30 seconds. The smaller pole is good for 20 amps continuous.

Not complete, but a start for you, anyway.

Thanks to Shane for making the cables that needed revision.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Inverter Fuses & Battery Shutoff Switches - rrueckwald - 12-21-2013 10:01

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)