Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
11-24-2013, 23:28 (This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 23:30 by cmillsap.)
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
David and I have been using Baker Hill as the basis for needing more cooling capacity in our LXis'. Everyone following this thread should know that Baker Hill is an extreme example to use as a basis for improving the cooling capacity in our busses. The reason it provides a challenge for most big rigs more so than other long steep western grades is that it is about 18 miles long and gets progressivly steeper from 4% to 7% as you climb it.

I was complaining to David a while back that when we were enroute to 'Vegas in last mid July heat of 112*f that I had to reduce my road speed to 35 MPH to keep my coolant temperature at or below 205*F. In the process of climbing that hill; it seemed to me that the air volume being pulled through the radiator reached a plateau prematurily about a quarter of the way up the grade and was the limiting factor to the cooling system's capacity the rest of the way up the hill.

I'm posting this because I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking there is a problem with the LXi's cooling capacity. As a general rule, given its size and weight, our Wanderlodge's cooling system is as efficient or more efficient than most coaches. Extremely steep grades and hot weather exists all over the western states and if we can improve the efficiency of our cooling system, we can navigate over those extreme grades with ease.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneillparke...otostream/

IIRC, Baker Grade heading east is 17 miles of 5-7% grade, starting from the town of Baker, and going all the way up to Mountain Pass. If you'r'e approaching from the Primm, NV side, the grade is ~7 miles of 7-8% grade.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cmillsap's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance - cmillsap - 11-24-2013 23:28

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)