Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
11-24-2013, 13:25
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
While going over my recently purchased LXi, one of the things that was added to the "fix list" was the radiator and shroud due to the amount of rust. I've been contemplating replacement of the shroud due to its design. The "orifice" style design employed on my 'Bird is about the least efficient was to design a shroud with respect to fan efficiency.

Having spent 20+ years as a heavy mobile equipment engineer, a good portion of my time was spent implementing newer engines into existing designs as the EPA emission requirements changed. Through the progression of the different Tier engines, the cooling requirement was increased on all but Tier IV. A lot of the challenge was to incorporate additional cooling into an existing envelope. One of the areas addressed was with fan efficiency. The circular plate or orifice style design does maximize available space and is the cheapest option, but as previously mentioned, is the least efficient.

David, having just changed your radiator core, it's a little late to suggest a venturi design shroud, but it can improve your cooling efficiency as much as 20%. I would also suggest exploring fan options as the technology on impeller design for efficiency and noise has progressed considerably over the past few years, at least partly from the demands of the EPA driven engine designs.

These suggestions would require more effort and $$ to follow than changes to the lower plate, but would more than likely address Baker Hill...

Jeff Jack - TN
'01 LXi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BirdPilot's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance - BirdPilot - 11-24-2013 13:25

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)