Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hayden Fan Electrical Circuit on 2000 LXi
07-12-2013, 22:55 (This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 22:57 by cmillsap.)
Hayden Fan Electrical Circuit on 2000 LXi
First, be aware that this only pertains to a 2000 LXi (as far as I know) Some other model Wanderlodges may have the same Hayden Fan electrical circuit as the 2000 LXi but I don't know if they do or not.
I do know that the Hayden Fan electrical circuit was changed and improved sometime after the 2000 LXi model.

The Haden fans (2) attached to the Hayden radiator on my LXi are controlled through a control circuit from the ECM through a 160*F N.O. single probe aquastat located on the bottom of the hydraulic oil reservoir. That control circuit energizes & de-energizes the Hayden fan's relay based on the opening and closing of the aquastat.

During the process of upgrading my PTO to a 1" wet spline, while we were draining the hydraulic oil out of the reservoir; we noticed that the aquastat looked to be in poor condition, so we decided to change it in the process. Once the new aquastat was installed we wanted to test it by jumping its N.O. contacts to assure the rest of the circuit components were working properly and the Hayden oil cooler fans were being controlled.

Alas! Neither fan came on! On inspection; we found one of the two fans was seized. Further inspection of the circuit found the 30A fuse in the rear panel blown. Obviously, what had happened was that the one fan seized drawing an overload and blew the 30A fuse. Both fans are wired through that one 30A fuse, so neither fan was working.

The reason I am posting this is to make 2000 LXi and maybe other model Wanderlodge owners aware. We have not been able to see any way anyone would know that their Hayden Oil Cooler is not operating properly. There is no warning light or buzzer ( that I am aware of) to tell you that your Hayden fans are not operating properly allowing the hydraulic oil temperature to overheat. The electrical schematics are void of any warning circuit that we can find.

Subsequent updates to the Hayden circuit was done as evidenced by a schematic that David sent me for his 2002 LXI. That Hayden Fan Control circuit included the following upgrades. The single probe aquastst was upgraded to a double probe unit. One probe controls the circuit to the Hayden fan at 160*f. The other probe is wired to a warning light on the dash and illuminates it if the oil temperature reaches 200*f. Also, the two fans were given individual circuits after the relay and ran through two seperate resetable breakers. A big improvement, needless to say.

Unless someone can enlighten me, it appears that 2000 LXi owners presently have no way of knowing whether their Hayden cooler is working properly or NOT.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Hayden Fan Electrical Circuit on 2000 LXi - cmillsap - 07-12-2013 22:55

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)