Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good answers to tire pressure questions
06-21-2013, 21:51 (This post was last modified: 06-21-2013 21:52 by cmillsap.)
RE: Good answers to tire pressure questions
(06-21-2013 09:08)pgchin Wrote:  Good find David,
Yep I check pressures with a gauge EVERY time I roll, EVERY DAY, and adjust as necessary. I also use the IR gun to check for anomalies every 2-3 hours. While "hanging" around last week getting the bird new "sneakers", I had a chance to see about a dozen "road kill" take offs the crews brought in. You would be AMAZED how the INSIDE of the tire was alligatored and the rubber was separating from the belts, outside, the tire looked new!!!!!! My takeoffs were 8 years old and looked new both outside and inside........FWIW I also "cover them". The first set of 3 sets I did not cover and only got 4-5 years before they started cracking, the last set covered lasted 8........... I also roll the bus EVERY 2 weeks even when not in use........you know the drill about rolling tires, chemical release, blah, blah, blah..............Wink

God bless you, Pete,

I would venture a guess that 9 out of 10 owners/drivers do not gauge their tires everyday, much less IR them for temps. Further, not many people are going to adjust their tire pressures based on the ambient. I think the tire manufacturers use about 60*F to rate their tires.

I must confess that I don't gauge my tires everyday. I gauge the tires before the first day out and about every 5 days on a trip but I do a visual and feel the tires for excessive temp every time I stop. Often I will substitute a mallet to bang on the tires that I keep by the entry door but not each time I stop.

Man! I don't want to be checking tire pressures every day!
This is the reason why so many are resorting to tire monitors. They are great as long as they function properly. As you know, they are not failsafe. I had a set of TPMS on my former rig, they drove me crazy. But some people have had good results using them with few problems.

You can set the pressure and temperature parameters and they will tell you if you have a tire problem. Again, that's if they work properly all the time.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good answers to tire pressure questions - cmillsap - 06-21-2013 21:51

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)