Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Michigan-upper peninsular
07-18-2013, 14:47 (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 14:55 by pgchin.)
RE: Michigan-upper peninsular
(07-16-2013 22:34)cmillsap Wrote:  Pete,

Getting to the U.P. is an adventure in itself. Crossing the 2.25 mile Mackinac Bridge in a big bus is a real experience. The constant winds cause the bridge to sway and the ability for a driver to look down at the water through the open steel grating of the roadbed in front of the vehicle gives you an erie feeling.

If my memory serves me right; a bridge official stated that they do, on average, 3 assists a day where drivers attempt to cross the bridge but get cold feet and stop on the bridge.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Mackinac Bridge Authority has a Drivers Assistance Program that provides drivers for those uncomfortable with driving across the Mackinac Bridge. Those interested can arrange, either by phone or with the toll collector, to have their cars or motorcycles driven to the other end. There is no additional fee for this service. Bicycles and pedestrians are not permitted on the bridge; an exception is allowed for riders of two annual bicycle tours. For a $5.00 fee, the Authority will transport bicyclists and their vehicles across the bridge.[2]

Travelers across the Mackinac Bridge can listen to an AM radio broadcast that recounts the history of the bridge and provides updates on driving condition

While you are in the vicinity, a ferry ride to visit Mackinac Island for a day should not be missed.

Chuck,
Thanks for the Mac Island trip tip!Big Grin Yes you are correct about the bridge. However, we hit it a 7:45 am this morning and with the Cold Front kinda circling around "us", the wind was calm and WHAT A VIEW we got!Big Grin Clouds and T storms in the distance over Mac Island sun coming up elsewhere, Wow, as we watched it all from the top of the bridge!!!!! Yes I was in the inner lane taking it all in!!!!!!!Tongue The bus windows were full of bugs and it was raining pretty good so the pics came out crappy but it indeed was a "treat"....... Breathtaking!!!!!!!
FWIW We got to the campground by the locks and not 10 minutes after I finished setting up a 600-800ft lakes bulk Freighter came by!!!!!Smile I have pics of the bird and the "wheel house' as it passed, will attach here as soon as I can bring up the other computer where the photo "stuff is", on WIFI as we speak........ it was freak'in HUGE!
You've Rv'ed enough years to know some trips are easy, some take the mantra "the hard way", By Lee Childs, "Jack Reicher". This is one of those trips, we've been in a campground that the "monsoons" were so bad, the dump station closed because the drain fields were flooded. In Detroit , with the heat wave, the power went down and was not expected back for DAYS!Angel So you know the drill, solve problems as they come and enjoy the heck out the trip!!!!!!!! Thank God We are in a bird with redundant systems online and the wine chiller is fixed. We are stopping in the wine country here in MI to "stock up" right after the wooden boat show in Cedarville!!!!!!!Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Michigan-upper peninsular - pgchin - 05-30-2013, 13:17
RE: Michigan-upper peninsular - pgchin - 07-18-2013 14:47

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)