Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA???
06-21-2008, 05:36
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA???
There are a few commercial fleets and transit busses that have been converted to using natural gas instead of gasoline. In my area, there are a handful of natural gas refuel depots, and hardly any are open to the general public. A few people have converted vehicles and set up a filling system in their home (from the natural gas service for their furnace, etc.) This limits the vehicle to local use (for commuting) as it is generally not possible to 'fill up' elsewhere. Currently, this also avoids paying the taxes charged to vehicle fuels -- that is likely to be changed if such using natural gas becomes common, significantly reducing potential savings.
I suspect the major problem is one of infrastructure. In the US, there is a huge cost related to outfitting service stations throughout the country to handle the additional product. Indeed, while most stations offer three "grades" of gasoline, the middle grade is actually blended on the spot from regular and premium.
Keep in mind, too, that it is easier and a significantly lower investment to change the infrastructure in Australia. The population of Australia is a little more than half the population of California. The latest estimate available (July 07) puts Australia at 20.5 million vs. 301 million for the U.S. 
That means, there are a LOT more service stations necessary to serve the population and the investment in a change would be huge. 
Besides, you can buy a lot of gas for $2000 even at $4 per gallon that's 500 gallons. With my toad that's nearly 12,000 miles of driving -- more than I put on the car in most years. 
The price differential between gasoline and natural gas (per btu of energy) isn't likely to be as significant as is the case in Australia. We are already suffering a shortage of "cheap" natural gas and prices are climbing rapidly. So, the amount of savings is probably not all that large. Don't forget that a large portion of the price of gasoline at the pump is taxes. Australia may be "encouraging" natural gas use by reducing the taxes on it. I can't imagine that our government would be as likely to waive vehicle fuel taxes on natural gas, should it become popular. So, in the end, the amount of potential cost savings might not justify the expense of the infrastructure changes or the changes to individual vehicles.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Jun 21, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Henry Jay Hannigan wrote:

DEAR FORUM MEMBERS:
NO  one is talking about subject matter but I just lived a year in 
Australia and filled my tank each week with "auto gas" available at the 
pump at all service stations all over Australia. Petrol(gasoline was 
$1.70/litre and "natural" gas was  60 cents a litre.... quite a 
savings.     Our toads take gasoline and can easily be converted 
to "duel fuel" for less than $2000, but I do not hear anything about 
it  in the good ole USA except Honda CX has a high pressure gas car 
which is different than low pressure "auto gas" in Australia. Hope I 
don't upset anybody by mentioning this and please do not tell the oil 
lobby where I live.
Regards,
Hank
90SP36
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
WHY DON'T WE HAVE AUTO GAS AT GAS STATIONS HERE LIKE THEY DO IN AUSTRALIA??? - Pete Masterson - 06-21-2008 05:36

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)