Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nitrogen Filled Tires
02-27-2015, 18:01 (This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 18:02 by cmillsap.)
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires
(02-26-2015 21:22)DOSZORROS Wrote:  Chuck:

If you have not already purchased the Michelin tires, I would like to suggest you consider Toyo or Bridgestone. I assume this will start a firestorm but I personally would not run a Michelin unless I was broke down on the road and had no alternative.

50 years ago, Michelin was the best tire you could buy but I have had dismal experience with Michelin of late. I have not run anything except Toyo for the last 15 years on coach, pickups, cars and have been well satisfied.

Thanks for the suggestion, George, but the Michelins are installed already. Sorry to hear of your experiences with the Michelins. I’ve never had a problem (knock on wood) with Michelins and have used them on all three Bluebirds that I have owned. So, it just never occurred to me to look at other brands.

After you suggested Toyo or Bridgestone, for future reference I did look at their prices and specs as compared to Michelins. The specs are pretty much comparable. The Toyo was a bit less pricy but the Bridgestone was more expensive as compared to the Michelin Advantage Program tire price.

Here’s a bit more information that may be helpful to other readers of this post who are in the market for new tires regardless of brand;
Because we usually have to replace our tires due to age (approx. every 7 years) instead of wear, it is important to insure that the new tires have current manufactured date codes. If I understood correctly, my tire dealer stated that Michelin tries to maintain inventory in their distribution centers with tire date codes no older than 4 months. Some of the larger tire dealers may have pre-bought tires in their racks that have older date codes, so check out the tires before they install them. Many tire dealers prefer to pick up new tires from the manufacturer’s distribution centers for a specific customer. And for good reason as these big tires are expensive to inventory and if not sold soon the tire can become outdated. My tire dealer does not stock the big Michelin tires and needed a couple days’ notice to pick up them up before installing them on my bus.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Nitrogen Filled Tires - cmillsap - 02-08-2015, 00:09
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires - csprenger - 02-08-2015, 14:20
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires - dentmac - 02-08-2015, 14:56
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires - DOSZORROS - 02-26-2015, 21:22
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires - cmillsap - 02-27-2015 18:01
RE: Nitrogen Filled Tires - DOSZORROS - 02-28-2015, 15:44

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)